6.5 creedmore vs 6.5 PRC

B. White

Based off of loading the 143 eldx for my Sons 6.5C, they are an ok whitetail bullet. Fragile in my opinion. Most never exit on broadside shots. They absolutely would not be my pick for Elk if they aren't penetrating 16" of broadside deer. The 308/30TC case sized cartridges all drive bullets 2700fps or more, which is plenty of Horsepower, but the right bullet should be used.

This is interesting to me. I have a couple of boxes, but have never shot anything with them other than paper. I've had pass throughs with a lot of damage on the past eight or nine I've shot, but I've always used 140 gr ELDMs I already had loaded. Haven't recovered a bullet yet, but 150 yds is about the furthest I've shot one. I figured Hornady would have designed the ELDX to expand and still get a pass through on a normal broadside shot for deer sized critters.

Sorry, now back to the main topic.

Gator89

His Sauer Action has the same bolt pattern as a 700 L/A for the .243 I think.

Hmmmm, Sauer has medium action:

MINI
  • .223 Rem
MEDIUM
  • .243 Win
  • .270 Win
  • .308 Win
  • .30-06
  • 6.5 Creedmoor
  • 6.5×55
  • 8x57IS
  • 9.3×62
  • 7mm-08
MAGNUM
  • 7 mm Rem. Mag
  • .300 Win. Mag
  • 6.5 PRC
* Stocks and barrelled actions NOT sold separately.

* Factory ammunition highly recommended.

• Wow
Reactions: Dub

JR924

yep...but the holes drilled into the top of the action use the
700 L/A bolt pattern.
The Remington M24 Sniper System uses a long action but it is chambered in .308.
That is correct. Both my 8x57 and 243 have the same hole locations which match my EGW Remingon 700 LA mount I just purchased. However the EGW mount like the one I bought for the 8x57, overlap past the receiver by 3/4". Is this normal??? On the 8x57, I trimmed it. May not do it on the 243 if I can get use to the look.

Jester896

Senior Clown
real estate is a precious commodity
they come both ways from different makers same as EGW. I don't think their Hunter series overhangs. I like the extra myself for most of my uses. Some of the longer scopes it allows you to get the ring closer to the objective bell for stability.

Robust Redhorse

I just don't get the mindset of folks who want to hunt elk with "marginal" cartridges.

Someone from Georgia will probably drop at least $3,000 for a DYI hunt on public land out west with less than 25% odds of even getting a shot at one.

Yeah, I know that they can be killed with .223's and .243's, but why risk it???

I also know that modern bullet technology has come a long way in recent years.

I also know (for a fact) that a .300 magnum with an old "cup & core" 180g bullet will kill one (DRT) at 500 yards, without the need to spend $100/box for ammo.

Knowing your rifle/ammo combination, PRACTICE, and making up a proven "dope chart" for perfect bullet placement, means more than anything.

Last edited:

JR924

I just don't get the mindset of folks who want to hunt elk with "marginal" cartridges.

Someone from Georgia will probably drop at least $3,000 for a DYI hunt on public land out west with less than 25% odds of even getting a shot at one.

Yeah, I know that they can be killed with .223's and .243's, but why risk it???

I also know that modern bullet technology has come a long way in recent years.

I also know (for a fact) that a .300 magnum with an old "cup & core" 180g bullet will kill one (DRT) at 500 yards, without the need to spend $100/box for ammo.

Knowing your rifle/ammo combination, PRACTICE, and making up a proven "dope chart" for perfect bullet placement, means more than anything.
The elk guide who I hunted with has about 25 years experience guiding elk hunters and had hunted African game for meat for a researching team there. I discussed Corelocks with him and he no longer favors core lock bullets and similar. Said he had seen cases of them and other bonded bullets failing. Goes with all copper bullets now for elk. Did not find out which bullet he favored. Never instructed or inquired what caliber or gun we were shooting. However the guns at the hunt were 8x57, 30-06, 308, 7 Rem Mag and two other guns I did not find out their calibers.

JR924

Man, the “over thinking” on some of these threads is unreal…
For me, I overthink for fun. If you are very passionate about your hobby, you just love discussing it. See that from many members on all the hobby and professional websites I am a member of including this one. I do not worry about any of it, no anxiety and forget it till next read. I look forward each day to continued discussions on topics I am interested in. Overthinking extends the topic with more posts which I generally like. However, overthinking is in my blood and for good reason due to my profession. Sorry for this over thinked post. I cannot stop and seems some cannot either on an old thread. I have learned a lot from continued posts on a subject. However, I will remember your critical post and limit my threads and posts. Did not know they were annoying.