308 vs 270 vs 6.5

killerv

Well, if I had to choose between the 3 calibers mentioned, if I had too....I'd go with the 270, probably the best all around "common" caliber out there. I shot one for over 20 years before I moved to the 708. My 270 is in a lightweight remington ss synthetic mountain rifle, it will stomp you. My 308 in a wood mountain rifle shooting 165s will let you know its there too. Buddy bought a kimber hunter in 6.5 manbun and I handed it back to him after I shot it, it was brutal. He sold it and went back to his 708.

I also own a real deal 6.5, the 260rem, it and the 708 are the sweet spot of performance with little recoil.

Tight Lines

https://backfire.tv/recoil/

That's one of many recoil databases, but I like it as it is comprehensive and thorough...

The .270 and the .308 are neck and neck and 50% more than the 6.5 CM while the 7MM-08 is still ~25% more than the 6.5 CM.

Of course individual rifles will make a difference, but all things being equal in the same rifles this is how it stacks up...

You want to shoot a rifle with some pushback, try my .300 or .338 Win Mags...they are about 300% more than the 6.5 CM. My .30-06 is 200% of the 6.5 CM.

It's why my go to rounds in GA for deer have been pared back...I use the .25-06, 6.5 CM, 7MM -08, and 5.56.

Soon to be a 6MM ARC once it is built...which will be between the 5.56 and the .25-06 I think...

YMMV...

Last edited:

SC Hunter

Exactly. I'm not a big dude and I have little interest in a lot of recoil when less recoil can do the same job. Lol

In my 20's I wanted a magnum cartridge. I have had the 270 wsm 7mag 7mm wsm 300 win and short mags, a 264 win mag and even a 325 wsm for a short time. I've sold every magnum rifle and don't own anything over a 30-06 with that one being my Granddads old gun. I like my short 7mm-08, 6.5 cm and occasionally a 243 to handle what I need handled. If I ever decide to kill an elk I'd get another 300 wsm or win mag because I like the rounds but there aren't elk in South Georgia right now. ?‍♂️

Well, if I had to choose between the 3 calibers mentioned, if I had too....I'd go with the 270, probably the best all around "common" caliber out there. I shot one for over 20 years before I moved to the 708. My 270 is in a lightweight remington ss synthetic mountain rifle, it will stomp you. My 308 in a wood mountain rifle shooting 165s will let you know its there too. Buddy bought a kimber hunter in 6.5 manbun and I handed it back to him after I shot it, it was brutal. He sold it and went back to his 708.

I also own a real deal 6.5, the 260rem, it and the 708 are the sweet spot of performance with little recoil.
The ONLY reason I wouldn't suggest a 7mm-08 to somebody right now is because of ammo availability. I have enough 7mm-08 to shoot a long time and enough brass and projectiles to have loaded to shoot twice as long, BUT Store bought ammo is hard to find. That being said the 7mm-08 is about perfect for deer for the Southeastern United States to me. Fairly light recoil in most rifles and plenty energy with a well constructed 140 grain projectile. Let me add though my buddy has a Ruger M77 compact in 7mm-08 that is BRUTAL haha absolutely horrible in the recoil department so bad that I refuse to shoot it actually. As I get older I'll carry a little heavier gun in a lighter recoiling cartridge to mitigate recoil and be accurate. If I could find a bergara ridge in 7mm-08 decently priced I'd own it.

FlipKing

That's one of many recoil databases, but I like it as it is comprehensive and thorough...

The .270 and the .308 are neck and neck and 50% more than the 6.5 CM while the 7MM-08 is still ~25% more than the 6.5 CM.

Of course individual rifles will make a difference, but all things being equal in the same rifles this is how it stacks up...

You want to shoot a rifle with some pushback, try my .300 or .338 Win Mags...they are about 300% more than the 6.5 CM. My .30-06 is 200% the 6.5 CM.

It's why my go to rounds in GA for deer have been pared back...I use the .25-06, 6.5 CM, 7MM -08, and 5.56.

Soon to be a 6MM ARC once it is built...which will be between the 5.56 and the .25-06 I think...

YMMV...

Backfire has some really good content. I highly recommend them if you want to watch hunting related gun content.

I have a 5.56 I want to try this year. Might be good for my kids.

Baroque Brass

Not yet, anyway....keep on chootin' that 6.5 and see what happens.

:rofl:

Just kidding, man. Just kidding.

It's always funny when people get wrapped around the axle over the various cartridges in these type discussions. Pretty soon someone will come along with with a pile of kills with a Kentucky long rifle and make us all look silly.

If my current self could go back and talk to my younger self....I'd ask why in the world was I toting heavy rifles in magnum calibers into the same woods where guys had been stacking them up with .30/30's for longer than I'd been alive. Same woods. Same deer.

I'm all for anything that keeps the firearm industry firing on all cylinders.

If that means accepting....and ultimately trying the 6.5CM then so be it. I'm all in. They sure are sweet shooting....and I hope the brass life is long. I'll never part with my .270's or .308's.....but I do enjoy the 6.5CM and it's little brother the Grendel.

My hair is thinning on top too much to have any worries over growing a man bun.....but I may be able to use some Ballistol as beard wax and grow out a mullet.

My younger self would've looked at my older self and answered that question simply, "Because I can".

Older, slightly wiser....just slightly.
So if I keep shooting my 6.5 I’ll grow more hair? Hasn’t worked so far, maybe it’s cause I wear a hat all the time.

FlipKing

So if I keep shooting my 6.5 I’ll grow more hair? Hasn’t worked so far, maybe it’s cause I wear a hat all the time.

Nawl, just ain't shooting enough. Plus when you get home, post pics on here of your awesome groups. That's what I do and my bald spot has only grown a little...since yesterday. Lol

rosewood

You want to shoot a rifle with some pushback, try my .300 or .338 Win Mags...they are about 300% more than the 6.5 CM. My .30-06 is 200% of the 6.5 CM.

YMMV...
I made myself an excel spreadsheet to compare recoil in my various firearms using different bullets/velocity/powders. Gives you a surprise on what different cartridges actually carry. They only thing is, we are calculating actual recoil not perceived recoil (which is impossible to calculate). The recoil impulse on a slower burning powder is over a longer time period and feels more like a push than a shove you get with a faster powder. Also muzzle blast gives impression of more recoil. It still gives you an idea of what you get.

Heavy turkey shot is by far more recoil than just about every rifle you pick up. Seems like it was about 3.5x more recoil than a standard 7mag.

Rosewood

ucfireman

Heavy turkey shot is by far more recoil than just about every rifle you pick up. Seems like it was about 3.5x more recoil than a standard 7mag.
Don't know about turkey loads but I bought some 3 inch steel and it packs more punch than I like, shootable but not "fun". Maybe when the birds are flying you wont feel it but I haven't had the opportunity.

rosewood

I was curious if they were truly interchangeable. Looks like they are not. Thanks.
First time I had ever heard this in my life. I always believed the 7.62x51 was just the military name given to the .308. Same case, same bullet, same OAL, same load data.

Never had an issue shooting either one in my various rifles.

Rosewood

killerv

Don't know about turkey loads but I bought some 3 inch steel and it packs more punch than I like, shootable but not "fun". Maybe when the birds are flying you wont feel it but I haven't had the opportunity.

I read an article once about the energy behind turkey loads, more energy to go after a turkeys head than to take down an elephant. It was comparing a lot of these new loads to a 458 win mag in ft/lbs of recoil.

I've never felt the recoil when staring down the barrel at a turkeys head, now patterning is a different story. I feel bad for the sucker that bought my old mossberg 835s. Those old 3 1/2in 2 1/4oz fed loads were brutal.

fauxferret

Why not one of each?

On a serious note 308 especially if you consider handloading in the future. There's so much data out there you can find a round to do whatever you're looking to accomplish. Subsonic, heavy for caliber, light and fast. You can even shoot long range with it takes a bit more practice. But remember Sierra created the 175 Grain Matchking bullet because they realized the 168 international was unstable after it went subsonic around 600 yards. I have bought and sold many a 308, plus they typically have a shorter barrel 16-20" while other rifles usually tend to be a hair longer.

I was curious if they were truly interchangeable. Looks like they are not. Thanks.
Now it’s different with 556 and 223 you do not want to shoot 556mm Nato ammo in a rifle Chambered in 223 Remington. The 556 cartridge chamber pressure is greater than the 223 chamber pressure so it is reversed from the 308/7.62 . But I am no expert check with a reputable gun smith and confirm what I am saying on these situations. Good Luck !

Baroque Brass

Nawl, just ain't shooting enough. Plus when you get home, post pics on here of your awesome groups. That's what I do and my bald spot has only grown a little...since yesterday. Lol
A couple of groups from my 6.5. Smaller than the average manbun!CD4BED0A-EAC1-4FA8-A97C-D9F1117C3168.jpeg8D06AC51-E9CA-41BB-9EC3-36B0DE48242A.jpeg