Give me some advice

DannyW

Your boy just thinks he wants a 300 Winmag. I've owned two of them and they are thumpers. Just sighting them in can be a chore after 10-15 rounds.

First time I shot one was on a bench. I set it on bags and gripped it lightly like I do with my 270. When I squeezed the trigger I thought the darn thing blew up. Loud report, gun jumped up and I nearly dropped it. And the scope whacked me in the nose.

Nope...in good conscience I can't recommend a 300 Winmag for an 11 YO boy. Unless he is planning to hunt the big bears. For anything else in North America a 270 or 308 will work nicely.

furtaker

Most of us go through a magnum phase but end up coming back full circle to standard cartridges. They kill just as quickly and are easier all the way around. Certainly for an 11 year old.

I wouldn't say the 308 is a hard kicker but it will get your attention in a fairly light rifle with full power loads.

Tight Lines

Your boy just thinks he wants a 300 Winmag. I've owned two of them and they are thumpers. Just sighting them in can be a chore after 10-15 rounds.

First time I shot one was on a bench. I set it on bags and gripped it lightly like I do with my 270. When I squeezed the trigger I thought the darn thing blew up. Loud report, gun jumped up and I nearly dropped it. And the scope whacked me in the nose.

Nope...in good conscience I can't recommend a 300 Winmag for an 11 YO boy. Unless he is planning to hunt the big bears. For anything else in North America a 270 or 308 will work nicely.
I sighted in my .300 WM in Kansas some years ago...after laying prone, from bags, getting it dialed in my brother said what do you think? I said, man this is a sweet shooter, doesn't kick at all. You gotta try it...

He got down and prone, dialed in and squeezed the trigger and promptly turned around and said... "Doesn't kick hades!" with a few more explicatives to which I responded...wimp.

This is a lightweight Tikka T3x synthetic and is probably 6.5 lbs without the scope...so not a heavy weapon...

:)

Darien1

What popped into my mind when you described what you wanted was a Remington 788, 308. The short carbine version. Just doesn't have a threaded barrel.

Mauser

I shot a doe this morning with mine,left handed,weird shot angle. I thought I broke my nose. I took my face mask off and looked for blood lol. Didn’t get my eye but it got my already big ol crooked nose. It’s still tingling

Jester896

Senior Clown
I made a funny awkward shot on a deer in Harris Co with my .300 Win Mag...had to be every bit of 50 yards away. Only time a rifle has ever drawn blood from me...I had to stop chambering the second round and take my glove off to apply pressure. It wasn't long after that I took the scope off and put the old Browning up. I have shot the Remington 700 5R a few time since then...prone.

coolbreezeroho

A 300 has the possibility of being rough on an 11 year old . I would let him shoot one before dropping the cash on one for him. Zeroing in a 300 WSM I was flinching and chasing the holes for awhile ...Then I went and got a sled ...One shot to take a deer is fine ..but sighting in and just shooting for fun is kinda of rough on the shoulder.... Pretty big difference in the ammo prices also I would say..

Latest posts