Marlin 25M

B. White

Many years ago we gave my BIL a Marlin 25m 22 mag that I had bought new. I didn't shoot it much and he doesn't hunt at all, so I'm sure it has been in a closet and looks about the same as when he got it.

I was going to buy something similar and asked if he was willing to sell it. He said he would for a dollar, but I'd like to give him something close to actual value. Does anyone follow these things enough to know what is fair? Not a whole lot for sale and the prices I saw were all over.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Many years ago we gave my BIL a Marlin 25m 22 mag that I had bought new. I didn't shoot it much and he doesn't hunt at all, so I'm sure it has been in a closet and looks about the same as when he got it.

I was going to buy something similar and asked if he was willing to sell it. He said he would for a dollar, but I'd like to give him something close to actual value. Does anyone follow these things enough to know what is fair? Not a whole lot for sale and the prices I saw were all over.
They weren't really expensive. I have the 25MN with the fancy synthetic camo stock, and I think I gave about $250 for it new many years ago. Looks like they're selling for a lot more now than they cost new.

B. White

I'd give him about $200-$250 worth of whatever he's interested in and likes doing.

Toys for toys, as it were..

But you gave it to him, why not just let him give it back to you???

If he just offered as a gift, maybe, but I was shopping them and knew he had it and was the one making the inquiry before I paid somebody else. In this case I figure it is right to offer fair value. He still has the box of ammo that went with it, so it should be like new and he could probably have got a decent price if he was wanting to sell it.

B. White

They weren't really expensive. I have the 25MN with the fancy synthetic camo stock, and I think I gave about $250 for it new many years ago. Looks like they're selling for a lot more now than they cost

I don't know what I paid, but it wouldn't have been much with my income at the time. Was the wood stock and would have been in the 83-85 year range when I got it.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
If he just offered as a gift, maybe, but I was shopping them and knew he had it and was the one making the inquiry before I paid somebody else. In this case I figure it is right to offer fair value. He still has the box of ammo that went with it, so it should be like new and he could probably have got a decent price if he was wanting to sell it.
I understand. Hope you get it back.

I had one from about the same time frame, with the tube magazine. Wish I still had it. I remember paying about $119 for mine, at Walmart.

transfixer

They're currently going for $300 and up on the trader, I am constantly looking for anything Marlin 22 wise , even though I have enough already, and I generally see them in good shape around $350 to $375

Jester896

Senior Clown
I'd take the $1 deal. I'm not sure who the we is in who gave him the rifle. we gave it to him with the hopes he would use it with us. it was a nice gesture on we's part

if you give him the dollar...he didn't give away we's gift... and you got it for nothing... since he doesn't use it with us

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Most of us know the joy of being generous but find it difficult sometimes to accept generosity from another.

IMO, you should accept the offer graciously and with appreciation.

B. White

I shot it and ran out of down adjustment on on the rear sight to get it where I wanted. Called up Skinner Monday, since I like their sights on the lever actions and knew I needed a taller front sight at minimum. Ended up getting the barrel mount peep and front ramp with the dovetail for the brass bead blade.

Told him about how high I was hitting at 30 yds. He had me measure distance between sights and front sight height and it took him about 30 secs. to ID the right front sight. Got them in the mail today and drove both in the dovetail slots. Shot it at 30 yds and walked to take a look. Both shots touching but about 2-2.5" to the left, so two taps to move the the rear to the right side put it where it needed to be. I was a little high, but remembered I screwed the stem out one turn when I put it on. I think it is ready to hunt.

1706821198551.jpeg

Latest posts