Used Maverick 88 12 Gauge advice

SarahFair

We had a gun show up at an estate I was working in recently. I haven't seen it, but I'm going to look at it soon, all I know is it was kept in a closet of a climate controlled building.

Im not educated on buying used firearms and what to look for, so any advice is appreciated..
Anything in particular with this gun that should be noted?

I see they are priced about $230-$240 new.
The person I'm buying it from knows nothing about pricing firearms so his stance is, "just give me something for it," but he is a very good friend and someone who contracts me frequently, so Im looking for a fair price.

Hillbilly stalker

I bought a used Maverick 88 2 years ago for $100. It is a lower grade model 500 Mossberg. Absolutely a good shotgun. Nothing fancy or shiny, but a good reliable shotgun. Between friends I think that is still a good price. They are not collectors items. If he was wanting top dollar he would have researched it and sold it on Gun broker or to just anyone. He offered it to you.

SC Hunter

As stated between friends 100-125 dollars would be good for both of you if it's in good shape.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Your pricing is about right on new models; they go cheaper through some stores online but very rarely. And as stated, $100-125 is pretty fair for both of you.

Only particular thing I can think of to check is that some varieties of these (ones with the 18.5" barrel, I believe) have thin barrel walls, so be on the lookout for dents on the barrel. Other than that, there ain't a whole lot to worry about with these. You hear a few scattered issues every now and then, but they're fairly solid guns.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Those prices sound good.
There are some reviews out there on them. I saw one that said since it was so light it kicks pretty good. It looks like it has an adjustable stock on the ones I saw. That may help you get it to fit you a little better. Square those shoulders to the target and lean into it a little... and send some rounds...since they are a friend ;)

pjciii

I the friend a male or female. What age range. For a female it will kick like a mule. I have the same model. As stated it is a good shotgun with no frills. Heck some time i wonder why i bought a 12ga. I should bought a 20ga.

Anvil Head

I picked one up several years ago 3"mag capable with an extra rifle slug barrel. Nothing fancy as stated above, but solid pumper and serious recoil on the 3"'s. Don't use the slug barrel, but ran a 5xbox through it for grins. Hit well at 75yds, sure it would go 100yds just as good.
I Baha'd mine for a quick access shop gun so don't need the slug barrel if anyone is interested.

SarahFair

Thanks everyone! I didn't know anyone had replied, never got the memo from the notification bell :unsure:

Didn't see anything wrong with it except a little rust on the barrel.
I ended up trading some work for the gun, so no money was exchanged and we both came out happy.

It'll for my youngest (15), he wants a shotgun, so this will be one of his Christmas gifts..

specialk

Thanks everyone! I didn't know anyone had replied, never got the memo from the notification bell :unsure:

went thru a major over haul on the forum software a few weeks back, might want to go thru and check all your settings....

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I picked one up several years ago 3"mag capable with an extra rifle slug barrel. Nothing fancy as stated above, but solid pumper and serious recoil on the 3"'s. Don't use the slug barrel, but ran a 5xbox through it for grins. Hit well at 75yds, sure it would go 100yds just as good.
I Baha'd mine for a quick access shop gun so don't need the slug barrel if anyone is interested.

PM sent.

SarahFair

went thru a major over haul on the forum software a few weeks back, might want to go thru and check all your settings....
Oh my goodness, thank you...
That white-out was killing the experience for me