Commercial air travel with shotgun

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I hope this is a good spot to ask this.
I've never flown commercial airlines with huntin firearm, or any fiream at all.
I'm gonna fly to Idaho in a couple months to hunt.
I'd like to hear advice from those of y'all who travel with long shot guns
The plane tickets are same price for United and for American Airlines. Is one of those simpler than the other to check in a baggage with shotgun?
The nice aluminum case my neighbor said I can borrow has a built in combination lock on each side. Is that good or does it require pad lock with key?
And my neighbor may even go with me, if so is it ok to put both shotguns in the same case?
Or do they each need a seperate case?

Thanks for any insight. I know there's a similar thread on Serious questions forum and I've read it and will read it again.
And I know the airline website has info and I'll read through that. But I get confused easy and too much info confuses me, I like it simplified.

Also, if checked shotguns is an extra expense and a big hassle has anyone ever had an ffl send the hunting weapon to another ffl in the destination area? Good option to think about or not?

Thanks y'all!!!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Go to the website of the airline you’re traveling on and search for the info. It’s your best source as some airlines have additional restrictions beyond TSA. Here’s Delta…

Here’s TSA

Last edited:

WishboneW

I will never ever fly on American Airlines again.

Sent my luggage to Tulsa instead of OKC. Took 3 days to get it

Sold my seat to a standby.

No apologies. Never again

basshappy

BANNED
Ship it through UPS. Last I saw, so verify, you can ship yourself a firearm. And it may he splitting semantics, but when asked what is inside for insuring "Mechanical instrument" is good.
Screenshot_20230228_215008_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
The plane tickets are same price for United and for American Airlines. Is one of those simpler than the other to check in a baggage with shotgun?
The nice aluminum case my neighbor said I can borrow has a built in combination lock on each side. Is that good or does it require pad lock with key?
And my neighbor may even go with me, if so is it ok to put both shotguns in the same case?

Thanks for any insight. I know there's a similar thread on Serious questions forum and I've read it and will read it again.
And I know the airline website has info and I'll read through that. But I get confused easy and too much info confuses me, I like it simplified.

Also, if checked shotguns is an extra expense and a big hassle has anyone ever had an ffl send the hunting weapon to another ffl in the destination area? Good option to think about or not?

Thanks y'all!!!
I been in the business over 40 years you don’t have to do anything over the top. Just note the rule about quantities and locks and you’ll be fine. The ticket counters do this many times a day, sometimes hundreds in those upper Midwest airports.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Nothing to it….
Thanks
That's what my ol nieghbor says
He is goin with me.
He's flown to midwest a lot with shotgun for pheasant huntin, but that was a LONG time ago when he used to do that.
But a couple people with confidence gives me more confidence so thanks

menhadenman

I flew with shotguns and rifles on several airlines in the last two years.

Case, lock, and ammo restrictions and you’ll be good. I’d show up 30 minutes earlier to be safe.

Good advice from @Ruger#3 , check your airlines website.

Crazy to think that we’ve been conditioned to worry about exercising our second amendment god-given right, but here we are. I feel your anxiety.

Good luck.

GregoryB.

I routinely fly with firearms. Never had an issue. You have to use the TSA locks. Just go to the website for the airline you choose and use their guidelines. When possible I like to break the gun down into the smallest case possible and place inside other luggage.

DannyW

Thanks y'all!!!

I've flown with guns many times and only had a problem once, the very first time I did it.

I read the airlines (Delta) website very carefully beforehand. Then for some reason I printed out the information and stuck it in the gun case.

At the time (1998), Delta clearly stated you could store your ammunition inside the case with the gun (not sure if you still can, haven't read the rules in several years). The Delta agent said no you can't. We disagreed on this for awhile and then I handed the printed information, from their website, for her to read.

The ammo got to stay in the gun case.

So my advice would be to carefully read the information, make sure you follow the information, and print out the information and stick it in the gun case.

Robust Redhorse

I have flown Delta and United with absolutely no problems with firearms (both rifles and handguns) several times.

Biggest hassle has been Atlanta. When you let the ticket agents know, then Atlanta's TSA treats you like a terrorist until you get your guns cleared.

Just read the airline's guidance and do it exactly what they tell you to.

Funniest thing was at the airport in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. I went there prepared for the "Atlanta" experience.

They just told me to put my gun case in with the other 200 that were stacked against the wall. Nobody even checked to see if it was unloaded.

The case was in Atlanta when I got there, with no problems at all.

I don't believe you have to use TSA locks on a gun case (actually, I know you don't because the "good ole' USA" will be where your guns would be most likely to get stolen). Get a quality gun case - I last used a Pelican "Vault" that accepts 4 high quality Master locks. Use 4 that are keyed alike, but are not "TSA" approved.

My pistols and ammo were fine within my other checked baggage, but the pistols had to be in a locked box within the checked baggage.

DannyW

I have flown Delta and United with absolutely no problems with firearms (both rifles and handguns) several times.

Biggest hassle has been Atlanta. When you let the ticket agents know, then Atlanta's TSA treats you like a terrorist until you get your guns cleared.

Just read the airline's guidance and do it exactly what they tell you to.

Funniest thing was at the airport in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. I went there prepared for the "Atlanta" experience.

They just told me to put my gun case in with the other 200 that were stacked against the wall. Nobody even checked to see if it was unloaded.

The case was in Atlanta when I got there, with no problems at all.

I don't believe you have to use TSA locks on a gun case (actually, I know you don't because the "good ole' USA" will be where your guns would be most likely to get stolen). Get a quality gun case - I last used a Pelican "Vault" that accepts 4 high quality Master locks. Use 4 that are keyed alike, but are not "TSA" approved.

My pistols and ammo were fine within my other checked baggage, but the pistols had to be in a locked box within the checked baggage.
LOL...when I got to Missoula MT, my gun case was stacked with about 20 others against the wall, with no one near them. I walked up, grabbed my gun, and headed out of the airport.

longrangedog

Was a member of a US Army rifle team in the 80's. Our government owned rifles were M14, worked over by armorers to improve accuracy. The full auto selector switches were also removed but could easily be replaced. In route to a match in Arkansas one of the rifles disappeared between Nashville airport and Little Rock. The FBI got involved but we never heard if the rifle was recovered. I've since been nervous about flying with a cased long gun. Everyone can tell that the case holds a firearm.

TAS

TSA locks....my buddy had two TSA locks on his case but the case had holes for four locks. They made him buy two more.

• Wow
Reactions: Dub

K80Shooter

TSA locks....my buddy had two TSA locks on his case but the case had holes for four locks. They made him buy two more.
Anytime that I have used a TSA lock they were cut/missing when I got my luggage. Mind you it was not on a gun case but a suitcase.

ShortMagFan

Flying with a firearm is easy. I do it a few times a year

Ignore every comment above about TSA locks. Buy quality padlocks that only you have the key to

Fine for multiple guns to be in the same case. No airline is going to be any better or worse than the other.

Some advice I got off Accuratereloading forum several years ago that saved my bacon on second trip to South Africa: print the regs for your airline and have them with you at checkin. First trip to SA , easy, second trip out of Orlando
Delta ticket agent stated asking for documents that don’t exist . I asked for a supervisor and got
another bogus request , pulled out the Delta regs and said please read your policy , they melted like warm butter . They did apologize , I reported to The Hunt Report folks who later filed
a complaint with Delta. Chances are you will be fine but take a copy of their policies .
And , pad lock that only you have key .
Have fun .