Reloading Kit

Rebel 3

Someone I know called today and said their husband is a reloader and can't reload anymore due to health issues. She knows I own various guns and said he is going to sell all his reloading stuff. She said he has supplies for shotgun, rifle, and handgun, primers, and tubs of various brass separated by caliber. I know it is a loaded question based on what he has, but what ballpark would be a fair price? He is supposed to make me a list of what he has. I have always used store bought ammo, but I am interested in the benefits of reloading.

Liberty

It depends on the quantity of the components as well as the quality and quantity of tools. Most shotgun powders can be used for handgun applications, but generally rifle powder is more specialized for a family of cartridges. If all he has is shotgun/pistol, a 20 gauge shotgun press, but you shoot 12 gauge, and magnum rifle, what would it be worth to you. The list compared to what you would be loading for would be the only way to know.

Last edited:

rosewood

Odds are most of what he has is still available. You can go down the list once you get it and compare prices with Midwayusa and get an idea of what it is new, then go from there.

One can make more money selling piece parts individually, but there is value in making a lower value offer for the whole lot. Less stress on the seller and buyer.

Rosewood

transfixer

As stated, depends on the selection he has, what calibers he has components for, how old are the powder/primers, and how have they been stored? I don't know that shotgun equipment and components are in as much of demand as rifle/pistol ? as I've never gotten into loading shotshells, in general if the items are not deteriorated, I would think 50% of current new value would be fair, but they likely will think closer to current market value, most people seem to think they have more than they do in terms of value

Darkhorse

If your really serious about reloading then you will need a press. A powder measure. A case trimmer. If he has them you can pick up a concentricity gage and a set of bullet comparators. A dial caliper is almost essential for a number of uses.
If you know what you will be reloading you might get lucky and pick up a set of dies for your caliber, some bullets and brass.
Beyond that I'd make a list of what he has and post it here and these guys will help you and offer opinions.

Liberty

I’ve been looking for a deal on a MEC Sizemaster for awhile, but people that I have seen selling them have thought a 20 year old press missing parts are worth half of what a MEC ready to go costs or a 10 year old model with everything is worth 3/4 new value. Honestly, for the hassle of running down parts and getting a used one dialed in, I’d just buy new. Good rifle/ handgun equipment that is taken care of will last a lifetime. You can buy a quality reloading kit for $500.00 and never buy anything but dies, calipers, and tumblers for the rest of your life, unless you decide to go high volume. The same is true for shotgun, but $400.00 and without the other gadgets except calipers.

Latest posts