Your thoughts about a potential purchase

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I am going to look at a pretty good batch of reloading equipment and components mid week. The man who's it was has passed and the family is selling his stuff.
The good news is that he has a good selection of Powders, Bullets, Dies. The bad news is that his station and storage looks to be in a basement that gets a lot of moisture.
I am not worried about the equipment. I can get the surface off of that. Not worried about the bullets. A little concerned about the inside of the dies. Definitely concerned about any opened powder and any primers. And I am going to have to treat loaded rounds as components and break them down. Unless he has detailed records I won't know what or how much powder is in them, and odds are the brass will have to be resized plus there is no telling how many times it has been shot...unless there are accurate records there and even then I wouldn't trust them.

Anyway, what do you guys think would be a fair offer for me to buy it all?
The pics show what I'm talking about condition wise.
1000000174.jpg
1000000175.jpg
1000000176.jpg
1000000177.jpg

1000000178.jpg
1000000179.jpg
1000000180.jpg
1000000181.jpg
1000000182.jpg

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
If you want to be fair with the seller:

Test all the powder in containers for deterioration.
Help the owner dispose of any deteriorating powder.

Then do a quick inventory and price the stuff online.

Offer 1/2 the price for components and equipment in good condition.

Offer 1/4 the price for equipment in poor condition that you will fix.

Offer 1/4 the price or less for cases if there is no record of the number of reloadings.

Price loaded ammunition as components and discount for having to take them apart and discard the powder from them.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I'd buy it.

Anyone with that much stuff should know how to take care of it.
Problem is, I dont think that it has been touched by the Loader for years. The case trimmer looks down right scary.
I see oil burner nozzles laying among the reading items. I just don't know who has been around it and possibly opened powder lids etc.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
If the powder passes the test it is OK there is no expiration date on it. If the equipment is in bad shape adjust your offer accordingly. The bullets are fine and the cases are if there are records or if you inspect them carefully.

If you want the stuff, get it. If not someone else will be along shortly, I am sure.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
If you want to be fair with the seller:

Test all the powder in containers for deterioration.
Help the owner dispose of any deteriorating powder.

Then do a quick inventory and price the stuff online.

Offer 1/2 the price for components and equipment in good condition.

Offer 1/4 the price for equipment in poor condition that you will fix.

Offer 1/4 the price or less for cases if there is no record of the number of reloadings.

Price loaded ammunition as components and discount for having to take them apart and discard the powder from them.
I really only want half the bullets and dies and the unopened powder.
I know that I can clean up the equipment and resell it and the bullets and dies that I'll never use.

I might offer $600 for it all and sort it out if they accept.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
If the powder passes the test it is OK there is no expiration date on it. If the equipment is in bad shape adjust your offer accordingly. The bullets are fine and the cases are if there are records or if you inspect them carefully.

If you want the stuff, get it. If not someone else will be along shortly, I am sure.
I have powder and primers that are 30-40 years old, but I know how I stored them.
I am definitely going to try to get it all but with reasonable caution and priced accordingly.

Nimrod71

I would ask what they wanted for it as is. If they come back with make and offer I would ask for if they would ask if they would let me make a list of al the stuff. It's hard to give a real value until you know what you are buying. There appears to be a lot of powder and other supplies you may have found a great deal. I expect to see more of these offers as more reloaders age.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I would ask what they wanted for it as is. If they come back with make and offer I would ask for if they would ask if they would let me make a list of al the stuff. It's hard to give a real value until you know what you are buying. There appears to be a lot of powder and other supplies you may have found a great deal. I expect to see more of these offers as more reloaders age.
I did ask for a ballpark figure. The son in law said "all I know is that he has a fortune in black powder"
So, the son-I-L and family have not got a clue what is what.
He sent me the pics and asked if I can come see it on Wednesday.

bullgator

Take Q-tips and paper towels with a small bottle of solvent or machine oil. Rub a wet Q-tip up in the dies to look and feel for rust. That case trimmer looks pretty far gone with rust.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
My fear is that they wont believe me about condition and potential problems, not accept my offer, then have someone else come in and be told the same thing and sell it to them because the person is there.

bullgator

My fear is that they wont believe me about condition and potential problems, not accept my offer, then have someone else come in and be told the same thing and sell it to them because the person is there.
You shouldn’t have any fears. Make the fair offer you feel comfortable with and be content with whatever happens. You may not get the deal, but you haven’t lost a dime either.
Talk to them about what you’re looking at, both the good and the potentially problematic. Compliment the deceased where you can and let them feel good about letting it go. Telling them you can bring a piece of equipment back to working order may make them feel better about it…..they can see it’s condition and know it needs attention.

Jester896

Senior Clown
most of those bullets are in pretty old boxes. They probably couldn't have cost but around $20 each full. I might figure $15 for full boxes and about $7 for partial boxes. Same thing on powder..$20 for full or unopened and $10 tops for partial or opened. Common dies maybe $20 a set and not so common $10-15 if they don't need a lot of cleaning...some oil and steel wool on a stick would most likely get them back up and running. About $1 or 2 for the MTM boxes....kinda use that as your top $ then ask them what they were thinking for the whole lot....if it is under that roll with it..if it is over tell them why you think it is too much :huh:

01Foreman400

Staff member
most of those bullets are in pretty old boxes. They probably couldn't have cost but around $20 each full. I might figure $15 for full boxes and about $7 for partial boxes. Same thing on powder..$20 for full or unopened and $10 tops for partial or opened. Common dies maybe $20 a set and not so common $10-15 if they don't need a lot of cleaning...some oil and steel wool on a stick would most likely get them back up and running. About $1 or 2 for the MTM boxes....kinda use that as your top $ then ask them what they were thinking for the whole lot....if it is under that roll with it..if it is over tell them why you think it is too much :huh:
Some of the Accubonds and partitions are hard to find right now so if he shoots them they’d definitely be worth it.

transfixer

Definitely a lot of moisture at play in the past there , the equipment may not be worth saving, I see value in any unopened cans of powder, and the projectiles if they aren't oxidized ? any primers around there would be junk, looks like a good bit of loaded ammo that would need to be disassembled, good bit of brass that might be worth something , I'm not sure I see $600 worth of stuff there though ?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Ive used kroil and 0000 steel wool to polish off some surface rust inside of dies before. I slit a wooden dowel to hold the wool and then chuck it in a hand drill. Does a great job.