Out of concern for the hillbilly I'm starting the supper thread early

slow motion

I noticed he's only posted here and there lately and hasn't posted a pic of his food in almost 2 weeks. I'm worried about @NCHillbilly Perhaps a bear has broken in and stolen all his food or something even more sinister and he's too proud to ask for help. Coincides with my finally being able to attempt to make a batch of the chili @Nicodemus made famous. That way I can eat some and send some to our mountain brother. Maybe you folks could donate to the care package as well. So what yall making? Don't forget to make a big batch. This not just for the hillbilly. Poor Arlo must be skin and bones by now.

Used the side burner on my grill. My first attempt at roasting peppers so may not have roasted long enough before putting in the paper bag. Let em steam in there while I pan fried a mound of venison. Also roasted and added a couple sweet peppers.
20240125_081644.jpg
20240125_084535.jpg

I got the peppers and onions going and that garlic was smelling so good.20240125_084938.jpg

Canopener was smoking by the time I got all them cans open but it's gonna be worth it.
20240125_090642.jpg
In the crockpot on low for the rest of the day.20240125_092925.jpg

Had to make a few changes. Couldn't find the chili powder Nic recommended so had to substitute store brand. Added an extra clove of garlic that I threw into the venison as it cooked. Also I didn't have any lard. Was gonna use Crisco but fried up some bacon this morning and decided to use the leftover grease instead.

So feel free to post up what you're eating tonight and don't forget about the care package. Bourbon and Yuengling will be accepted as well. Thanks for supporting this noble cause.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That looks all kinds of good!

I'm still alive and kicking and Arlo hasn't starved. :)
We've been busy as the dickens, in the middle of the process of moving into my old home place for the last while. I didn't get internet hooked up there until yesterday. I'll be back around when I get settled in. :cheers:

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
That looks all kinds of good!

I'm still alive and kicking and Arlo hasn't starved. :)
We've been busy as the dickens, in the middle of the process of moving into my old home place for the last while. I didn't get internet hooked up there until yesterday. I'll be back around when I get settled in. :cheers:
Let us know when the housewarming party is.

ambush80

I noticed he's only posted here and there lately and hasn't posted a pic of his food in almost 2 weeks. I'm worried about @NCHillbilly Perhaps a bear has broken in and stolen all his food or something even more sinister and he's too proud to ask for help. Coincides with my finally being able to attempt to make a batch of the chili @Nicodemus made famous. That way I can eat some and send some to our mountain brother. Maybe you folks could donate to the care package as well. So what yall making? Don't forget to make a big batch. This not just for the hillbilly. Poor Arlo must be skin and bones by now.

Used the side burner on my grill. My first attempt at roasting peppers so may not have roasted long enough before putting in the paper bag. Let em steam in there while I pan fried a mound of venison. Also roasted and added a couple sweet peppers.
View attachment 1285229
View attachment 1285230

I got the peppers and onions going and that garlic was smelling so good.View attachment 1285231

Canopener was smoking by the time I got all them cans open but it's gonna be worth it.
View attachment 1285232
In the crockpot on low for the rest of the day.View attachment 1285233

Had to make a few changes. Couldn't find the chili powder Nic recommended so had to substitute store brand. Added an extra clove of garlic that I threw into the venison as it cooked. Also I didn't have any lard. Was gonna use Crisco but fried up some bacon this morning and decided to use the leftover grease instead.

So feel free to post up what you're eating tonight and don't forget about the care package. Bourbon and Yuengling will be accepted as well. Thanks for supporting this noble cause.
I bet that was perfectly delicious. You have to char the peppers completely black then put them in a plastic bag to steam until cool enough to handle. The skin slips right off, but don't wash them or you'll get rid of the yummy char flavor.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I bet that was perfectly delicious. You have to char the peppers completely black then put them in a plastic bag to steam until cool enough to handle. The skin slips right off, but don't wash them or you'll get rid of the yummy char flavor.

And that makes all the difference in the world for flavor. I`ve been wanting to try charring tomatoes, but haven`t quite gotten up the nerve yet.

ambush80

And that makes all the difference in the world for flavor. I`ve been wanting to try charring tomatoes, but haven`t quite gotten up the nerve yet.

Tomatoes, eggplants, tomatillos, little onions in the skin (cebollitas), almost any pepper.... There's lots of things that benefit from a controlled burn. Tomatoes are better charred over wood fire or charcoal cause it's hot enough to char the skin but they don't cook . Awesome for salsa.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Tomatoes, eggplants, tomatillos, little onions in the skin (cebollitas), almost any pepper.... There's lots of things that benefit from a controlled burn. Tomatoes are better charred over wood fire or charcoal cause it's hot enough to char the skin but they don't cook . Awesome for salsa.

Thanks! You`ve taught me something new! :cheers:

ambush80

Can`t wait for garden season because I for sure want to try eggplant charred before cooking. Onions too.
Char the skin black and peel it off. The meat can be mashed into babaganoush or cooked with eggs as in the classic Filipino dish torta talong or served with other roasted stuff on a mezze platter.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Try it. It gives them a great flavor. Ambush hit the process on the head.

slow motion

Well it is mighty fine as is. If roasting the peppers correctly made it any better not sure a man could stand it. Side note glad the hillbilly isn't starving cause im pretty sure there wouldn't be much left for the care package. 20240125_175958.jpg

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Oh yeah slow , that looks delicious ! And we all know Hillbilly ain’t starving , much less Arlo ! I chopped up a chunk of backstrap and turned it into this , added a baked potato . IMG_4781.jpeg

georgia_home

good looking food folks. Thinking chili soon. Bacon sooner here… but today..

Son was 1 of 12 students of the month today! About 1k students in school

so had a good chorizo omelet ready for his lunch when he got home! No pics, but it was good!jalapeno sour cream cilantro and Cholula on dillas