Primers Hard To Come By...Pay It Forward...

Tight Lines

So Saturday night I was at a gathering and one of the guys I always see has a 16 year-old son...drew a muzzle loader tag in NM for elk over fall break. Was raising cain about traffic in Atlanta and how hard it is to find muzzleloader caps for the new gun...had driven all over the place on Saturday he said and checked hundreds of websites...literally nothing.

I said, well I'm not a reloader or a muzzleloader hunter, but what are you looking for? Can't be that hard...209 primers? Like no one has them?

No he says he needs Long Rifle Primers...I say, Long or Large? Oh yeah Large Rifle Primers...are you sure for a muzzle loader? Sure enough he shows me the model and yes, it takes Large Rifle Primers.

So, I'm like well I'm pretty sure my brother has a bunch of those...he's like no way. So I call my brother and said didn't I buy you a box of 5000 LRPs and send them a while back when I found them? Yes he says why? Well you want to sell some of them? Nope not selling he says...

So I tell him this guy is going on a hunt in 2 weeks and has no primers nor has he sighted in the weapon...he is in a world of hurt if he can't find these primers...

So I email my brother a UPS label from the party, he sends the package Monday, it arrives Tuesday and I put it in the guy's mailbox last night...

Now him and the 16 YO have 200 primers to sight in and hunt with...should last a few years in case the primers don't come back...

Don't post this as a hey look at me, more just insane how hard it is to get components these days, and a cool story that happened over beers and BBQ...the guy and the son are beside themselves...I didn't charge them anything as he is a friend of a friend and I wanted to help him out of a jam...

And always pay it forward, man you don't know if and when you may need some help these days! And you never know who might be able to help!

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I was the recipient of a kindness like this and can tell you it was much appreciated. A member here noted I was looking for primers. He messaged me with an offer. He sold me a box at the old cost. The guy is a regular here and a true gentlemen. I’m very grateful and their being put to use on the bench.

We have good folks here and paying it forward is a common occurrence here. Makes this a very special place.

Tight Lines

I was the recipient of a kindness like this and can tell you it was much appreciated. A member here noted I was looking for primers. He messaged me with an offer. He sold me a box at the old cost. The guy is a regular here and a true gentlemen. I’m very grateful and their being put to use on the bench.

We have good folks here and paying it forward is a common occurrence here. Makes this a very special place.
Agreed. I could have just ignored the comments, I don't know him that well...but I was listening to him talk about how excited his 16 year old is and how disappointed he is going to be...and I'm like surely I know someone who has these...I didn't immediately remember sending my brother in Kansas 5000...

I'm like, you could not even buy like 100 when you bought the CVA? Nope...literally none...

Also annoys me, where are those primers going? The guys selling them on GunBroker for $200 per 1000 I hope get bit by a copperhead a few hours from civilization...

FlipKing

In the 2020 craze, I stacked ammo. Ended up helping several people out when hunting season came around and they couldn't find any. Gotta watch out for each other. Good job sir!

Last edited:

coolbreezeroho

Sportsman warehouse has 209 primers up in Asheville NC...I called an they told me over the phone that they had them in stock. If anyone else is looking for primers they might try calling the stores near them. They had some other primers also in stock

Tight Lines

In the 2020 craze, I stacked ammo. Ended up helping several people out when hunting season came around and they couldn't find any. Gotta watch out for each other. Good job sir!
I've got ammo, but I don't reload or muzzleload so didn't have anything to help...crazy that they can't find ANY LRPs and the prices of the ones on GB are silly. I am a capitalist at heart, but I hate the gouging that happens in these supply chains right now...

Jim Boyd

I am pretty sure it was @Jester896 who offered me bullets and primers recently as I was searching.

I was able to eventually find what I needed but it is hard to overlook kindness of this type.

Thanks Jester and if I overlooked anyone, my apologies.

lampern

Sportsman warehouse has 209 primers up in Asheville NC...I called an they told me over the phone that they had them in stock. If anyone else is looking for primers they might try calling the stores near them. They had some other primers also in stock

Which other primers or they didn't say?

Thank you

coolbreezeroho

Rifle primers ...I dont remember what style

Jim Boyd

I have large rifle and 209 primers that I will get rid of but you'd have to drive to south ga, at least to Perry

Fine offer!!!!!

Week or so ago and I would likely have taken you up on that.

Great kindness.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I'm the recipient of a tin of #11 ML primers from a kind Southern Gent that frequents the board. I'll gladly pay it forward if anyone needs any.

ssramage

I've been wanting to get into reloading for a while but these are exactly the reasons I haven't. Seems to be easier to come across factory loaded ammo these days than it is reloading components, so I keep stocking up on those.

Good on you for helping the kid out!

Tight Lines

I've been wanting to get into reloading for a while but these are exactly the reasons I haven't. Seems to be easier to come across factory loaded ammo these days than it is reloading components, so I keep stocking up on those.

Good on you for helping the kid out!
We would all have done the exact same thing...

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Looking for some 209 primers for a muzzleloader. Anyone have any I could buy south of Atlanta or know where I could purchase some? Excited to shoot my first blackpowder gun but don't have anything to make it go bang.

Dub

View attachment 1182308
The results of some primers all the way from Atlanta to Kansas to Atlanta to New Mexico. Kid is ecstatic!

Well done by everyone involved !!!!!!!!!!

Looking for some 209 primers for a muzzleloader. Anyone have any I could buy south of Atlanta or know where I could purchase some? Excited to shoot my first blackpowder gun but don't have anything to make it go bang.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1025744477?pid=192262

https://republicammunition.com/product-category/primers/