Handgun Recommendations for First Semi-Auto?

buckpasser

Well, I know you said 9mm, so I’m probably wasting my time here, but I use and shoot my old .22lr rough rider revolver more than all my others combined. I use it on the trap line, sometimes just plinking, and I’ve killed so many critters while just riding around at work I can’t (and won’t for legal reasons) list them all.

I think it’s made me a much better pistol shot, and it’s cheap and fun. My “carry” pistols are reliable, light, and mostly BORING.

Tight Lines

Well, I know you said 9mm, so I’m probably wasting my time here, but I use and shoot my old .22lr rough rider revolver more than all my others combined. I use it on the trap line, sometimes just plinking, and I’ve killed so many critters while just riding around at work I can’t (and won’t for legal reasons) list them all.

I think it’s made me a much better pistol shot, and it’s cheap and fun. My “carry” pistols are reliable, light, and mostly BORING.
Totally makes sense, and not wasting your time. He has a Ruger Bearcat that we got him several years ago that he shoots incessantly. I want to get him something more useful for later on in life and that he can train with me at the range with. He loves the revolver, and I have several other .22s that he can "borrow" anytime...

Tight Lines

Funny story...I told him to grab some .22 ammo out of the ammo closet last time we went to the lease for a work day and he did and threw it in the gun bags. I thought it sounded like he was shooting something a little hot but didn't pay it any mind until I got back to the SxS and there were two empty CCI Mini-mag containers laying there...

I was like dude, we have buckets of .22 ammo, why'd you grab those? No good answer...

He got an education on which ammo was for which situations after that...

GunnSmokeer

Three recommendations:

1-- A full sized Glock for the range gun. If the trigger is less than ideal out of the box, NEXT YEAR you can get him a trigger upgrade kit.

2-- Do not let him have an optic until you're satisfied that he's "very good" with open sights. I don't expect him to ever get better with the old aiming system once he starts using the new sighting gadget. So, that also may be something that he can get for some future birthday or next Christmas.

3-- Both of y'all study the gun laws in Georgia about handgun possession by a person under 18, AND know that for you, the adult who supplied him with the handgun, there's a possible FELONY charge if you let him have possession (not just "ownership" as in, as if he's got the title in his name) under any circumstances not mentioned as the several exceptions in the Georgia law, https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2022/title-16/chapter-11/article-4/part-3/section-16-11-132/

Note that in our state, who owns, rents, or leases the LAND where the target practice can matter. Doing something on Grandpa's land may be OK, but doing it on his uncle's land or cousin's land can be a crime. If the land is the kid's own home and attached grounds, that's a big exception that lets him possess a gun for self-defense or defense of others, but I don't see one about target practice there either.

There's an exception for attending a gun safety course. If you teach him this yourself, you probably will meet this exception and keep him out of trouble. But if you're not there, eyes on him and actively coaching him, then it would be hard to call that a gun safety course, right?

Note also that while actually being IN a shooting competition is an exception, I don't see one for practicing and training to get a competitive edge for an upcoming match, UNLESS it's at a County or City approved shooting range, not just your own private shooting area that isn't licensed or regulated as a business by the local gov't.

Having him transport that handgun in his car would be very problematic, generally illegal but also with some exceptions depending on how the gun is stored and where he's going at the time.

Of course he's too young to qualify for a Georgia Weapons Carry License, which means he's not a "Lawful Weapons Carrier" as that term is used in our O.C.G.A. codes, and therefore he can't benefit from the new "constitutional carry" or "unlicensed carry" that GA passed a couple years back.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Turn this around… tell him you will pony up $xxx and it will go towards whatever he can legally buy. This can be a good exercise in analysis, economics and getting the best deal possible. More importantly, how to deal with steak appetite on a ground beef budget. Skills he will need in life.

Besides the financial aspect, limit yourself to tossing out pros and cons of what he is considering, ONLY IF ASKED. Stay out of his decision process unless invited in.

Do not push him in any direction and if he wants to buy a gun you think is a mistake, don’t tell him that, just go over pros and cons without offering a judgment.
These mistakes can teach far more than any lecture can. If it is a mistake, then he needs to address that too. I doubt he will make a mistake though based on your writing.

Oh, if he wants to buy your gun used, AND YOU WANT TO, go price it on gunbroker and sell at low end of scale if you want to. It should still be a stretch for him. Don’t create a shortcut to getting what he wants. Life is usually not like that. Theres always more things to buy than money so teaching priorities is important.

Great opinions offered on choice of weapons, but I wanted to add to this post above:

One year, I gave both kids a "coupon" for Christmas. It was to buy/build a custom skateboard with Dad. I was amazed at what a winner that was. They got to choose, get advice, order up, work a budget, and when the parts arrived, learn how to build it from the old man, who they never really understood was pretty good on a skateboard back in the day.

It's been 10 years or more and they still talk about that gift and how special it was. Neither one did a lot of riding, but that was irrelevant, it was the time spent, and transfer of responsibility and freedom to choose (with guidance) that made all the difference.

Tight Lines

Great opinions offered on choice of weapons, but I wanted to add to this post above:

One year, I gave both kids a "coupon" for Christmas. It was to buy/build a custom skateboard with Dad. I was amazed at what a winner that was. They got to choose, get advice, order up, work a budget, and when the parts arrived, learn how to build it from the old man, who they never really understood was pretty good on a skateboard back in the day.

It's been 10 years or more and they still talk about that gift and how special it was. Neither one did a lot of riding, but that was irrelevant, it was the time spent, and transfer of responsibility and freedom to choose (with guidance) that made all the difference.
Love it! We rebuilt an AR during COVID for my son, and had a similar experience...we are about to build a second one...

Tight Lines

Three recommendations:

1-- A full sized Glock for the range gun. If the trigger is less than ideal out of the box, NEXT YEAR you can get him a trigger upgrade kit.

2-- Do not let him have an optic until you're satisfied that he's "very good" with open sights. I don't expect him to ever get better with the old aiming system once he starts using the new sighting gadget. So, that also may be something that he can get for some future birthday or next Christmas.

3-- Both of y'all study the gun laws in Georgia about handgun possession by a person under 18, AND know that for you, the adult who supplied him with the handgun, there's a possible FELONY charge if you let him have possession (not just "ownership" as in, as if he's got the title in his name) under any circumstances not mentioned as the several exceptions in the Georgia law, https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2022/title-16/chapter-11/article-4/part-3/section-16-11-132/

Note that in our state, who owns, rents, or leases the LAND where the target practice can matter. Doing something on Grandpa's land may be OK, but doing it on his uncle's land or cousin's land can be a crime. If the land is the kid's own home and attached grounds, that's a big exception that lets him possess a gun for self-defense or defense of others, but I don't see one about target practice there either.

There's an exception for attending a gun safety course. If you teach him this yourself, you probably will meet this exception and keep him out of trouble. But if you're not there, eyes on him and actively coaching him, then it would be hard to call that a gun safety course, right?

Note also that while actually being IN a shooting competition is an exception, I don't see one for practicing and training to get a competitive edge for an upcoming match, UNLESS it's at a County or City approved shooting range, not just your own private shooting area that isn't licensed or regulated as a business by the local gov't.

Having him transport that handgun in his car would be very problematic, generally illegal but also with some exceptions depending on how the gun is stored and where he's going at the time.

Of course he's too young to qualify for a Georgia Weapons Carry License, which means he's not a "Lawful Weapons Carrier" as that term is used in our O.C.G.A. codes, and therefore he can't benefit from the new "constitutional carry" or "unlicensed carry" that GA passed a couple years back.
Good feedback. Thanks for the insights...

Dub

I don’t know about this gun but the next gun you buy him should absolutely be a 1911. Every son needs a 1911 given to them by their father. Wish my dad would have given me one growing up, but he wasn’t a 1911 man at all. He gave me an 870 instead.
:flag::rockon::flag::rockon:

Trying my best to start my 24 year old out right.

He has a G19 and two 1911's.

For Christmas he got one of the excellent classic range bags from Midway (their brand). Pistol rugs, Magula Uppula mag-loader, Hoppes #9, etc.

snuffy

Love those Midway range bags!

:flag::rockon::flag::rockon:

Trying my best to start my 24 year old out right.

He has a G19 and two 1911's.

For Christmas he got one of the excellent classic range bags from Midway (their brand). Pistol rugs, Magula Uppula mag-loader, Hoppes #9, etc.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

Love those Midway range bags!

I'd asked him to choose the type he wanted and I'd order him one.

He's lugged around my oldschool Midway as well as the pair of backpack style models I have.

I told him that I use different ones for different guns, ranges, etc.

He asked which one I started with and I showed him my original Midway bag that Dad, his Grandfather, gave me when I was just a bit older than him.....it still works...zippers are good, no complaints other than I'm dumb and overload it and struggle toting it around and hefting it up over the tailgate, etc. :rofl:

He studied things for a minute.....then said he wanted one like Granddad gave me......and so the tradition continues.

All I needed to know was his color choice....which I already knew....kid loves him some black. I'm the same way, lol.
Black shirts, black truck, black guns, black coffee......

I do think the current Midway backpack range bag looks mighty inviting, too. It comes with three zip up pistol & mag bags and other cool features...appears to be able to fit behind a truck seat, etc.

I carried through on the traditional type, though.

I am so proud of my boy and the decisions he's making in life. He is starting off on a wonderful trajectory. It makes me grin right now just thinking about it. Little joker has been through some stuff and come out like a real deal no kiddin' champ. Proud Pappa bragging profusely here.

Jester896

Senior Clown

Dub

I have and Osage River Range bag and the darn thing will hold more than I can carry.

I have the standard but they make a smaller one.

I couple years ago I added a backpack style range bag with a folding rolling cart.

I felt like a dork the first time I used it....in the parking lot pulling out a folding hand truck to cinch the bag to....geeking it up something fierce, I tell ya.

Rolled it into the indoor range and probably got some laughs.

A week later I used it on the outdoor range...much further walk. The pneumatic tires rolled like a boss over the crush'n'run gravel path & sand. Had that sucker loaded down....even a couple bottles of water & gatorade.....brass bag, target carrier, ammo, PPE, herd of pistolas....

One of these days I'm going to rig up some type of rolling deal that'll hold rifle cases, spotting scope, chrono, etc.
Thought about taking a real deal hand truck from the garage and cinching the cases to it.

Something that'll go up/down stairs with ease is what I need. Rifle range is downstairs from the parking lot.

It's not just about being lazy....just want to haul all my stuff on one trip from the truck.

Jester896

Senior Clown
i have a rolling tool box bottom for mine...it holds the shooting rest, spotting scope and stand. It would hold a few more items probably. Since I don't have the top boxes for that one you can stack things on top or bungee them down...but it don't have pneumatic tires...handle retracts

snuffy

Just checked Midway.
Those bags have went up since I bought mine.
Been a few years!

Reactions: Dub

B. White

Just checked Midway.
Those bags have went up since I bought mine.
Been a few years!

I like mine, but it has plastic zippers like everything else now which stiffened up after a few years. Sprayed the zippers down with ballistol and good to go for a while.

Wire Nut

I got a G19 when my son was 16. He was allowed to carry it when on the farm we live on. I figured it was a good one to start with. He was as checking traps and crossing creeks to do so. Worked out well. Now he’s old enough to keep one in his truck

Tight Lines

Well he did his research and decided on an H&K VP9 OR Tactical. With the small grips it fits him great, came with (3) 17-round mags and $200 H&K Bucks.

He did the research, looked at a bunch including Glock, Sig, S&W, Ruger, and liked the VP9 the best. He liked the Glocks, but ultimately the OR suppressor ready H&K won out. It's close to my FN509 Tactical but larger, and he loves to shoot that weapon.

He funded the difference in my contribution from his savings, and is going to use the iron sites to get proficient with it before looking at RMRs or laser / light combos.

Proud of him and I think he made a good choice...thanks for all of the advice guys, much appreciated!

Robert28

Well he did his research and decided on an H&K VP9 OR Tactical. With the small grips it fits him great, came with (3) 17-round mags and $200 H&K Bucks.

He did the research, looked at a bunch including Glock, Sig, S&W, Ruger, and liked the VP9 the best. He liked the Glocks, but ultimately the OR suppressor ready H&K won out. It's close to my FN509 Tactical but larger, and he loves to shoot that weapon.

He funded the difference in my contribution from his savings, and is going to use the iron sites to get proficient with it before looking at RMRs or laser / light combos.

Proud of him and I think he made a good choice...thanks for all of the advice guys, much appreciated!
He picked a fantastic gun! The VP9 would be the one I’d pick if I didn’t already have my needs covered with my G19. The trigger is awesome on those and the quality is top notch.

Tight Lines

He picked a fantastic gun! The VP9 would be the one I’d pick if I didn’t already have my needs covered with my G19. The trigger is awesome on those and the quality is top notch.
Yeah I think he did. Technically it is of course mine, for him to use at the range under my supervision. At some point it will be gifted to him when he is legal until then it stays in the safe. It's small enough to carry if you choose, but I would suspect by the time he can legally carry he'll choose something smaller. Until then, looking forward to some father-son range time...