Handgun Recommendations for First Semi-Auto?

Jester896

Senior Clown
I keep one of the MagPul for my 19 in my range bag that I keep in the rotation...no failure yet.

transfixer

I keep one of the MagPul for my 19 in my range bag that I keep in the rotation...no failure yet.

I've got a couple of them, they seem to work fine, but I prefer factory Glock mags, I don't have a lot of confidence in most magpul mags, magpul AR mags work, but aren't necessarily durable , plenty of videos out there showing what happens if you drop a loaded magpul AR mag , I heard an explanation as to why magpul mags became so popular and well known,

They let the Defense dept have them at cost, because they knew if they could say the military uses them, then civilians will buy them, so they basically let the government have them at cost or a little over, knowing their profit will come from the civilian market, in other words the military doesn't use them cause they're the best, I've heard spec op guys say they preferred Lancer mags or the regular metal mags over magpuls,

just something to be aware of

doomtrpr_z71

I've got a couple of them, they seem to work fine, but I prefer factory Glock mags, I don't have a lot of confidence in most magpul mags, magpul AR mags work, but aren't necessarily durable , plenty of videos out there showing what happens if you drop a loaded magpul AR mag , I heard an explanation as to why magpul mags became so popular and well known,

They let the Defense dept have them at cost, because they knew if they could say the military uses them, then civilians will buy them, so they basically let the government have them at cost or a little over, knowing their profit will come from the civilian market, in other words the military doesn't use them cause they're the best, I've heard spec op guys say they preferred Lancer mags or the regular metal mags over magpuls,

just something to be aware of
Anyone claiming to prefer regular metal mags over pmags hasnt seen combat in the 21st century. Pmags are popular because they work the best, even better than lancers, I like lancers for the translucence but they do not work better than pmags, the only difference is the feed lips bend on lancers and if you drop a loaded pmag without the dust cover it can split the spine hence the purpose for the cover.

Dub

Anyone claiming to prefer regular metal mags over pmags hasnt seen combat in the 21st century. Pmags are popular because they work the best, even better than lancers, I like lancers for the translucence but they do not work better than pmags, the only difference is the feed lips bend on lancers and if you drop a loaded pmag without the dust cover it can split the spine hence the purpose for the cover.

I don't think he was talking about rifle magazines.

And I agree with him.....I'd rather have Glock mags than P-mags in a Glock or Glock clone.

transfixer

I just stated what I've heard former spec ops guys say in videos, I'm pretty sure they have used both in harsh conditions

and to say that Pmags work better than Lancers is ridiculous ! I've owned both for years,

Jester896

Senior Clown
I was speaking about pistol mags
I have seen some pretty strong beat testing on Amend2 AR mags if your afraid your going to break you P-Mags

transfixer

I was speaking about pistol mags
I have seen some pretty strong beat testing on Amend2 AR mags if your afraid your going to break you P-Mags

the point I was trying to make is Pmags are not necessarily the best mags for whatever application you have, they are definitely the cheapest though ! which is why they are so popular . We all know government contracts are not awarded to the best submission, they're awarded to the lowest bidder ! Pmags do work, but they have their drawbacks, the feed lips will crack, the magazine bodies will crack if dropped, the sides of Pmags will expand when loaded to capacity, making them not insert as easily as other mags,

Pmags are well known and popular because they are the cheapest mags on the market for AR's, and they're generally cheaper for Glocks as well, but they are far from the "best"

doomtrpr_z71

the point I was trying to make is Pmags are not necessarily the best mags for whatever application you have, they are definitely the cheapest though ! which is why they are so popular . We all know government contracts are not awarded to the best submission, they're awarded to the lowest bidder ! Pmags do work, but they have their drawbacks, the feed lips will crack, the magazine bodies will crack if dropped, the sides of Pmags will expand when loaded to capacity, making them not insert as easily as other mags,

Pmags are well known and popular because they are the cheapest mags on the market for AR's, and they're generally cheaper for Glocks as well, but they are far from the "best"
The us army actually hid the report because of the embarrassment of a commercial magazine beating their own design, pmags aren't the cheapest mag available, first gen Glock mags did have issues which they fixed with the current generation of magazines.

www.military.com/kitup/2017/09/army-report-buries-magpul-pmag.html

weagle

I've spent the last 20 years in the gun industry, primarily as a Glock LE distributor and now in the sights and accessories manufacturing end of things.

IMHO the Glock 43X MOS is the Goldilocks of first / only / last to get rid of semi auto pistols.

There are other pistols like the Sig P365, S&W Shield and SA Hellcat that fall into the same general category but for reliability, easy of use, aftermarket support (huge), etc I think the Glock comes out on top.

transfixer

I've spent the last 20 years in the gun industry, primarily as a Glock LE distributor and now in the sights and accessories manufacturing end of things.

IMHO the Glock 43X MOS is the Goldilocks of first / only / last to get rid of semi auto pistols.

There are other pistols like the Sig P365, S&W Shield and SA Hellcat that fall into the same general category but for reliability, easy of use, aftermarket support (huge), etc I think the Glock comes out on top.

I just picked up a Glock 43x , but it isn't a MOS, I'm going to try and get used to it, and try and like it, but my daily carry the last 3yrs or so has been the p365, the 43x is plenty slim, although not quite as ergonomic, but we'll see.

they are highly regarded, as the one I picked up came from a LEO department after they got issued new ones, and their entire undercover/plainclothes unit is issued them, their new issues being the MOS version

Jester896

Senior Clown
mine isn't MOS either. I do need to run it a bunch more with the Sheild Arms additions...not sure I would want the light rail and RMR cut...I would have to change stuff bigly if I did. Hard to believe how much weight difference there is with 5 more rounds and a steel mag

transfixer

mine isn't MOS either. I do need to run it a bunch more with the Sheild Arms additions...not sure I would want the light rail and RMR cut...I would have to change stuff bigly if I did. Hard to believe how much weight difference there is with 5 more rounds and a steel mag

I just ordered one of the Palmetto state mags, going to try them and see how they are, the LEO unit I mentioned are all using the Shield mags,

weagle

I don't use the MOS feature on my 43X MOS even though I have red dots to fit it. Even have an extra slide with H507K mounted. I just think for the few extra bucks it's worth getting the MOS system for future applications.

I just received 2 of the new PSA 15 round mags last week and they were 100% reliable for about 5 mags each. If they run 100% for some more range time I'll probably use them for carry. I'm fine with the factory 10 rounders though.

Gator89

Raise the stacks, buy him a CZ75 or 85, surf the intertubez and find a Kadet conversion.

Your great, great, grandkids will have an heirloom to fuss over.

Dub

I seldom if ever carry a spare mag, unless I know I'm going into some area I really shouldn't go in anyway, I do keep a spare or two in my truck, just not on my person

I always carry a spare….and not solely for the additional rounds.

For example….what if I accidentally hit the mag release when drawing?

Sure is quicker to have a spare than to root around on the ground picking up the dropped mag.

transfixer

I always carry a spare….and not solely for the additional rounds.

For example….what if I accidentally hit the mag release when drawing?

Sure is quicker to have a spare than to root around on the ground picking up the dropped mag.

Thankfully that hasn't happened to me in training, I realize it could though, I'm very cognizant of my surroundings and base what I carry sometimes on where I'm going, generally its either my p365 or sometimes my lcp 380, now I have to admit I sometimes do put an extra mag in my pocket for the 380, but I appendix carry my 365, and I can tolerate it inside my waistband, but not sure I'd want to deal with another 12 or 15rd mag in my waistband, I suppose I could pocket it , but I figure if I can't get out of something with 12rds I'm in trouble