Question

buckpasser

I was getting the old 742 back in working order this week because my son thinks he wants to use it at some point. I only paid a couple hundred bucks for the thing years ago, but it was a good one. That got me thinking, “what’s on the new market today?”. I searched and only then realized that the only auto hunting type rifle is the new plastic trigger guard BAR (that I could find). So my question, why do you think it is that the 100’s and 742’s aren’t represented in the modern market? Everyone is making bolt action now. Has the AR trend killed the cheap auto? All I could find were M1A’s, AR 10’s and BARs.

furtaker

I thought Remington still made the 7400 but I guess not.

The 742 always had a bad reputation so I guess people gradually moved to bolt guns for hunting and the autos fell by the wayside. They were extremely popular back in the 70s and 80s. About everybody who hunted used one at one time. They killed a bunch of deer but I never cared for them.

bullgator

My hunting days started with the semi autos being well represented in camp. Mostly the Remingtons with an occasional BAR. Seriously, I think there was a mindset change. In simplified terms, it seemed like folks went from a firepower, spray and pray mentality, to a one shot one kill sniper mentality.
It is interesting that no manufacturer is attempting to bring a reliable hunting semi to market these days. Probably a cost and weight issue with the lower market demand.

bighonkinjeep

Ive seen the Benelli R1s for a lot less. Think it was PSA has em for 1099 in .308 or Win mag on their daily deal.

Theres also the new Winchester SXR
Or the older SXAR

I bought one of the Browning BAR Mk3 DBMs 16" fluted synthetic about a year ago and love it.
The wood ones are pretty but i bought it for a pig gun.

The Browning BAR Mark 3 DBM and Win SXAR are basically the same Rifle as the FNAR ( designated marksman rifle) only lighter and shorter. They only come in .308. They have 10 round mags but are compatible with FNAR 20 round mags if you can find one.
Mines stupid accurate, points like a shotgun, and the gas system eats up recoil.
To say Ive been pleased is an understatement.
I've also seen some good prices on used FNARs on gunbroker.

Reactions: Dub

Clemson

I see a lot of Remington autos in the Gunsmith Shop. I have always been told that they were made to last around 5-600 rounds. I know that I have see many that were slap worn out. The average hunter may never get to 500 rounds, but a guy who shoots a lot may do that in a month. Ahlmans used to convert them to a pump when they got so worn that you couldn't make them work. There were at least 4 different magazine catches that had to be fitted to the magazines to make them work, consequently you can't just slap a new mag in the gun and be assured of good function. Remington refused to work on them before they went bankrupt. Overall, I don't mourn their passing. If you have one that works, it shoots great and points well. Keep it clean and don't overdo the range work.

transfixer

I started out hunting with one at 15 or 16, and I literally wore the thing out shooting it, back then ammo wasn't very expensive, and I liked shooting it, I did kill a lot of deer with it, used it from 76/77 till the early 80's then I wanted something more accurate as we had clearcut,, so I bought a bolt action Ruger .243, I still have that 742 but it now has a different receiver and bolt in it, as the original one was worn out, it still shoots pretty decent, but I don't hunt with it anymore ,

Funny thing is I'll see one every now and then on the trader or GON classifieds, there are still many floating around that were shot very, very little, by hunters who bought them, hunted a year or two and then either quit or bought a different gun, I've seen a couple that looked basically brand new

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I had a 7400 Carbine back in the 90's. I liked it, but it did hang up once in a while, in true jam master fashion.

I traded it in on a 7600, and never looked back. I will own the pump gun till I'm dead...

leroy

My dad and myself hunted with a 742 30-06 for probably 20 yrs killed many deer with them no problems. I have several BARS and am a fan of those as well. I think most problems were from operator error, like not letting action slam shut when chambering a round.

transfixer

My dad and myself hunted with a 742 30-06 for probably 20 yrs killed many deer with them no problems. I have several BARS and am a fan of those as well. I think most problems were from operator error, like not letting action slam shut when chambering a round.

actually the design of the interior of the 742 receiver and the design of the bolt was destined to fail if shot very much, especially considering your average deer hunter was not very methodical about cleaning and lubricating the internals, those slanted locking lugs had to be kept clean and lubed or they wouldn't go fully into battery unless allowed to slam home, the 742 never had a smooth action, so when not properly lubricated it caused excessive wear ,, I know because as a teenager I was guilty of not properly caring for mine, and probably shot in excess of 500 rds easily , after which the internal grooves we flattened and rounded, resulting in my having to acquire another receiver from a donor rifle

The Browning BAR was a much better design, much smoother , my Dad owned one for years, also shot much smoother than my 742

trial&error

I don't know about yall, but dragging one deer out is plenty for me. I sure don't want to tempt myself into shooting 2 or more. Maybe that along with costs has decreased the interest in semi auto rifles.

rosewood

I don't know about yall, but dragging one deer out is plenty for me. I sure don't want to tempt myself into shooting 2 or more. Maybe that along with costs has decreased the interest in semi auto rifles.
When I started processing my own deer, that had the biggest impact on how many I shoot in one sitting. My limit is 1. Now if I shot one and a swamp donkey walks out, there will be 2 on the ground then...

Rosewood

rosewood

The 742/7400 has an aluminum receiver correct? Reckon if they upgraded it to steel or some other hard metal it would be a reliable gun?? Assuming the extra weight wouldn't be too much.

Rosewood

transfixer

The 742/7400 has an aluminum receiver correct? Reckon if they upgraded it to steel or some other hard metal it would be a reliable gun?? Assuming the extra weight wouldn't be too much.

Rosewood

My 742 from the seventies has a steel receiver , I've not seen one with an aluminum one ?

rosewood

My 742 from the seventies has a steel receiver , I've not seen one with an aluminum one ?
Maybe I misunderstood. I thought that was why they wore out so easily. Maybe it is cheap steel?

Rosewood

transfixer

Maybe I misunderstood. I thought that was why they wore out so easily. Maybe it is cheap steel?

Rosewood

From my experience with my original receiver I'd say it definitely wasn't hardened very well , although I admit when I was a teenager I didn't clean and lube it nearly as much as I should have, and I shot it probably 4 or 5 times more than your average hunter, I shot it just for fun a whole lot, I think I still have my old receiver ? if I can find it I'll post a picture or two of the inside of it

Clemson

It really isn't the steel, it's the design. The very things that make the gun desirable for a hunting rifle limit the longevity.
Pros: Lightweight, points very naturally, danged accurate for a semi-auto.
Cons: Receiver has thin walls, and rails are also thin and long so that the bolt can ride back and forth. Fouling inevitably gets on those rails and acts as an abrasive. The gun is not easy to break down for cleaning. It actually requires that the barrel be removed to get to the internals. For the average hunter this is akin to pulling your engine to change the spark plugs.

Clemson

rosewood

Good info. Now I can sound like I know what I am talking about....instead of chewing on my shoe.