If I wanted to shoot for a score?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I’ve never shot for a score or in any kind of competition. But a thread the other day got me wondering what I would shoot if I kept score. I've been doing internet searches, but cannot find what I’m looking for. The thread mentioned a perfect score of 300.……and some folks shooting a lot less. I did learn how to score an arrow, like line touching etc.. and what an end is. Even though I’ll be shooting outside, I’m thinking I’m looking for an indoor shoot score? Not doing Olympic long distance, but rather shorter consistent ranges, like 20 yards. My main questions are how big of a target(cm) and at what distance to shoot a legit score? I think shooting a score will only help me get better cause I will continue to compete against my best score.
Have y’all felt tthe pressure of shooting just one more arrow, needing a 10 for a perfect score? Surely some of y’all have shot perfect 300’s, so maybe no big deal. But I bet it would be epic!

Deerhead

Someone more knowledgeable will have to answer your technical questions. But yes shooting for fun and keeping score will make you a better shooter. A few years back I entered a small archer contest. The crazy thing is I wont the event. My one and only competition. You just might find another hobby.

ddd-shooter

IMO, If you’re a hunter, you need to shoot a 3d course.
It absolutely will make you feel the pressure of an arrow.
You can print off full size indoor targets (5 spot or Vegas) and shoot them from 20 yards. But, that doesn’t translate near as well to hunting scenarios imo.
It’s not bad, and I’ve done a small amount. It’s just not the same as a critter in the woods.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
IMO, If you’re a hunter, you need to shoot a 3d course.
It absolutely will make you feel the pressure of an arrow.
You can print off full size indoor targets (5 spot or Vegas) and shoot them from 20 yards. But, that doesn’t translate near as well to hunting scenarios imo.
It’s not bad, and I’ve done a small amount. It’s just not the same as a critter in the woods.
I totally hear ya triple d. But this is something I can and will do. Do you know what size an indoor target is? I found 40cm and 80cm(I think), packs of 100 for like $12 to my door. Just don’t want to get the wrong sized one. I can probably find that looking for “indoor targets”. Pretty sure the 20 yard thing is what I’m looking for Too. Thanks as always and I may end up with a 3d target sooner than later…..

Lilly001

When I was young, and recurves were the new wave, we used to walk the local woods and “stump shoot”.
We would pick an object, a stump or dirt mound usually, at a random range and see who could hit it.
It was lots of fun and with our 30-40 pound draw recurves and wooden arrows it didn’t cost us much.

ddd-shooter

I totally hear ya triple d. But this is something I can and will do. Do you know what size an indoor target is? I found 40cm and 80cm(I think), packs of 100 for like $12 to my door. Just don’t want to get the wrong sized one. I can probably find that looking for “indoor targets”. Pretty sure the 20 yard thing is what I’m looking for Too. Thanks as always and I may end up with a 3d target sooner than later…..
This link should explain it. There’s a five spot target, or a three spot Vegas target. Both of those are often shot indoors at 20.
If you have a printer, you can print them out on multiple sheets of standard printer paper and tape them together. Or buy what you want for $12

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
The heaviest weight an arrow can carry is when youre shooting it at a live animal. Shooting target is cool. It will make you a better shot bc of repetition. I do not feel any pressure shooting target. Its for fun. Nothing cranks my tractor like the target breathing back at me

ASH556

As others have posted, the Vegas 3spot face is probably most common. I use it as my primary form of practice. It serves a few purposes:
1. Aim small miss small. It teaches you focus and how to aim at a spot.
2. It saves your arrows because you don’t risk robinhoods while shooting at the same spot.
3. It saves your target because you’re shooting at different spots.
4. Archery is all about consistency. This will uncover inconsistencies in your form, aim, and shot execution.

Shooting it outdoors with hunting gear is a bit different than indoors with fat arrows, magnifier lenses, and long stabilizers. Still, it is a game you play against yourself and it is a way to measure yourself.

These past 2 nights are the first time I’ve shot with any regularity since last season. Last night was a 279. Tonight was a 280. My best ever was a 295, but that was back in March 2021 when I had shot every day since September 2020.

The game is shot as 10 ends of 3 arrows per end, one at each “spot.” Some rules count X’s as “11,” but leagues I’ve shot in just used “X” count as tie breakers, and 10’s and X’s both count as 10, then 9. That’s the end of the yellow. First red ring is 8, then 7, and blue is a 6.

Target:
IMG_5384.jpeg

First end 28, 1X:
IMG_5385.jpeg

29 with an “almost” X
IMG_5386.jpeg
IMG_5387.jpeg

Finally a 30:
IMG_5388.jpeg

Game Over:
IMG_5389.jpeg

IMG_5390.jpeg

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
This link should explain it. There’s a five spot target, or a three spot Vegas target. Both of those are often shot indoors at 20.
If you have a printer, you can print them out on multiple sheets of standard printer paper and tape them together. Or buy what you want for $12
Somehow a light went off this am and I started looking for printable targets before checking in here. I found this exact link and it should be on the printer upstairs…….should be!
I also found a canvas type target(Vegas)that’s the same material as my target. I put it on my watch list for now.

As others have posted, the Vegas 3spot face is probably most common. I use it as my primary form of practice. It serves a few purposes:
1. Aim small miss small. It teaches you focus and how to aim at a spot.
2. It saves your arrows because you don’t risk robinhoods while shooting at the same spot.
3. It saves your target because you’re shooting at different spots.
4. Archery is all about consistency. This will uncover inconsistencies in your form, aim, and shot execution.

Shooting it outdoors with hunting gear is a bit different than indoors with fat arrows, magnifier lenses, and long stabilizers. Still, it is a game you play against yourself and it is a way to measure yourself.

These past 2 nights are the first time I’ve shot with any regularity since last season. Last night was a 279. Tonight was a 280. My best ever was a 295, but that was back in March 2021 when I had shot every day since September 2020.

The game is shot as 10 ends of 3 arrows per end, one at each “spot.” Some rules count X’s as “11,” but leagues I’ve shot in just used “X” count as tie breakers, and 10’s and X’s both count as 10, then 9. That’s the end of the yellow. First red ring is 8, then 7, and blue is a 6.

Target:
View attachment 1252783

First end 28, 1X:
View attachment 1252789

29 with an “almost” X
View attachment 1252794
View attachment 1252795

Finally a 30:
View attachment 1252796

Game Over:
View attachment 1252797

View attachment 1252798

Heck yeah brother! This is exactly what I want to do! I love learning new things and this short class has been tons of fun! Cant thank you enough for this^^^!! Dang good shooting too! “Finally a 30”? Yasss!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
The heaviest weight an arrow can carry is when youre shooting it at a live animal. Shooting target is cool. It will make you a better shot bc of repetition. I do not feel any pressure shooting target. Its for fun. Nothing cranks my tractor like the target breathing back at me
I feel that! No doubt a live target is on a totally different level, but you can’t practice with those stakes. A final score is much more than just shooting target And adds the pressure I’m looking for.……I am a big advocate of practicing with purpose over just going through the motions. Right now my biggest pressure shot is hitting my target at 60 yards and I’ve been about 80% inside a paper plate. I go out to whatever yardages and shoot just one arrow, typically. For some reason, I am much smoother and more steady at 60, than I am at 20. But I’ll never shoot a deer from that far.

ddd-shooter

I feel that! No doubt a live target is on a totally different level, but you can’t practice with those stakes. A final score is much more than just shooting target And adds the pressure I’m looking for.……I am a big advocate of practicing with purpose over just going through the motions. Right now my biggest pressure shot is hitting my target at 60 yards and I’ve been about 80% inside a paper plate. I go out to whatever yardages and shoot just one arrow, typically. For some reason, I am much smoother and more steady at 60, than I am at 20. But I’ll never shoot a deer from that far.
For most people, it’s because they don’t see well enough at sixty to constantly try to correct their pin float.
After a certain distance, you just have to trust that you’re in the spot, which is what we should do at all distances

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I know I cannot see very well at that distance. Its Weird how shooting at 60(which puts me in the road in front of my mailbox), it all seems to slow down……like slow motion! But it’s smoother too and I seem to remember to inhale with my draw cycle. When I do, I get a Nice big chest, full of air, back muscles in play and a solid anchor. At shorter distances, I don’t seem to be consistent. I have a long way to go, but my bow will shoot where I have it point, so it’s the user that needs improvement. I’ve thought about those magnifiers, but 60 is plenty far enough. Now my cousins tell me of putting a beer can out at like 150 or so and I may just invite that game in November!!

chrislibby88

I know I cannot see very well at that distance. Its Weird how shooting at 60(which puts me in the road in front of my mailbox), it all seems to slow down……like slow motion! But it’s smoother too and I seem to remember to inhale with my draw cycle. When I do, I get a Nice big chest, full of air, back muscles in play and a solid anchor. At shorter distances, I don’t seem to be consistent. I have a long way to go, but my bow will shoot where I have it point, so it’s the user that needs improvement. I’ve thought about those magnifiers, but 60 is plenty far enough. Now my cousins tell me of putting a beer can out at like 150 or so and I may just invite that game in November!!
A can at 150? That’s like shooting a pencil eraser at 50 yards with only a 20 yard pin. Guess whoever loses the fewest arrows wins? Haha

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Shoot a couple of rounds of Clout. We used to shoot it back in the late 60`s-early 70`s. It can be quite a challenge.

bullgator

I shot in a few outdoor 3D competitions but not much indoors. I don’t have the answer to your dimensions questions, but I’ll say your on the right track for getting the most out of your practice sessions with an aim small focus. I will add that bad practice results in bad habits and doesn’t help you a one bit.……same for any kind of practice. So I recommend slowing down in between shots so you can take them individually and focus better. Also fewer quality shots are better than a lot of bad rushed shots.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My wife and I used to shoot a lot of 3D primitive/trad tournaments. We won our share of trophies over the years. It's fun, if you don't take it too seriously.

trophies.jpg

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I found the 3 spot targets at Cabela’s yesterday and grabbed a pinch……$.99/each and it’s on a hard paper, almost feels like plastic. I may shoot a round today. As embarrassing as it may turn out, I’ll have to post my score when I do…..

I shot in a few outdoor 3D competitions but not much indoors. I don’t have the answer to your dimensions questions, but I’ll say your on the right track for getting the most out of your practice sessions with an aim small focus. I will add that bad practice results in bad habits and doesn’t help you a one bit.……same for any kind of practice. So I recommend slowing down in between shots so you can take them individually and focus better. Also fewer quality shots are better than a lot of bad rushed shots.
I used to play a bunch of golf and in the process of learning, I learned about the mental side of sports in general. “Golf is not a game of perfect”, is one of very few books I’ve ever read cover to cover. I highly recommend it. Learning how to think and how to practice with a purpose has helped me get through life in general…….I use it everyday.

561F1B5A-5DFF-46C6-9B37-FE1BDFFF61A7.jpeg

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Rain soaked the target outside so I flipped it over to dry. I wasn’t planning on shooting a round this am, but I put my printed out set outside and thought I’d shoot an end, kinda for practice……yeah right. I couldn’t stop and to be honest I was getting fatigued, but what fun! Not sure how to score that “outside of an imaginary 5 ring” shot, so I gave myself 5 points…….self handicapping for first round ever! Gives me a 247……ok, probably actually a 242. I did get 2 Xs, but no 30pt ends, which is coming next round!

B2084C1E-92DE-4B46-90B3-9BD0EB24F083.jpeg

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Looks like I’m hitting low and left…….consistently. Need to look into that a bit more maybe.

ddd-shooter

Looks like I’m hitting low and left…….consistently. Need to look into that a bit more maybe.
Was about to type the same thing.
Make sure you’re not “peeking” At the shot. Focus on pulling your release elbow away from the bow. Holding the bow steady at the shot. Draw length could be a touch long, and/or you might be anchoring funny.

Or you just need to move your sight…lol