Kids Hunting

Mauser

My dad took me with him all the time starting when I was about 3. Made it fun,ride around look for deer, eat snacks, let me start shooting at 6. I’ve been overly obsessed with guns and hunting ever since. Started takin my now 6yo girl w/trisomy 21 when she was 3 and buddy when you go hunting in the afternoon she’s goin too. You carrying capri sun,chicken nuggets, Doritos,gummy bears and whatever else strikes her fancy. Only thing is she wants you to keep shootin till your out of bullets or the deer are gone and a he ain’t much of an early riser lol. I’ll be carrying Boone as soon as can get around good

wm742

I know of one way that many parents turn their kids away from hunting.

Dads put their kids behind a rifle that is way too big for them. And with improper hearing protection. It seems to me that parents are more impatient to teach kids to shoot. They do not focus on repetitive fundamentals.

Kids cant get the fundamentals correct without proper alignment and without control of the weapon they become recoil sensitive.

Dad buys his kid a full size rifle when he needs to buy him/her a red ryder and several thousand BBs
I taught them to shoot at an early age with a small marlin 22 auto and a target 22 pistol. They are sharing the youngest's AXIS 6.5 creedmore. Both girls love the rifle and its size. Its not the compact, but fits both girls well. I did a lot of research before I settled on it for a first rifle.
The oldest has a 410 single and a 243 single.
The 243 is a piece of junk and I wont let either one carry it with me. Its so inaccurate. Her mom bought it without consulting me.
My youngest also has a youth 20ga pump.
The oldest is getting a sxp field 20 for Christmas. I plan to take them on a quail hunt in a couple months as well as thin out some fox squirrels on the deer property. She rescued a gsh pointer this year and has worked so hard with it. She wants to see how it does in the woods.

We have always been outdoorsy. I build jeeps and we go rock crawling every month until deer season starts. The youngest is more into hunting than 4 wheeling. The oldest loves rock crawling.
My oldest was a golf prodigy in high school. Until covid and then she decided she wanted to be a teaching pro instead of a playing pro.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
For me, hunting or fishing wasn’t “something we did” it was simply life. It wasn’t optional, it’s just what we did as a family.
I’m not sure that helps, but it’s the only perspective I have to offer.
Same here

across the river

Should have said that earlier
Youngest is 16 has been hunting with me for the last 4 years
Oldest is 21 and hunts with me every 5 years or so

But I'm interested in peoples thoughts with younger kids. If I didn't light the fire in my own, hopefully I can with theirs.
I don’t think it is really a parent’s job to “light a fire” in a kid to make sure they want to do the same activities you want to do. I think you do your best to expose them to a lot of different things and activities and let them figure out what it is they like and are passionate about themselves. It may be the same thing you like, but often it isn’t. Sometimes what they didn’t like as an 8 year they decide they do like later in life. It doesn’t mean you’ve “failed” if they don’t like it like you like it. The bigger issue to me is seeing the kids at soccer and cheerleading practice or drug down to the hunting club that you know have zero interest in being there but are there because the parent is the one who really wants it. You have to help them find the hobbies they like, not force them into the ones you like.

NCMTNHunter

Like others on here have said I was fortunate to be raised by a hunting family. I never knew any different. My dad was an only child but him and his dad both hunted. My mom had 7 brothers, all of which hunted, trapped, and fished. Family get togethers were just outdoor story telling sessions. My kids did the same as me. They grew up outside playing in the woods and catching critters in the creek. They just started asking to go when they were little. I would take them on their terms where they could enjoy it and not get too miserable. After tagging along for a while they both asked when they would be able to carry a gun and do the shooting. I told them both that as soon as they could shoot good enough I would let them. I put my personal hunting on the back burner and made it all about teaching them. mine are 13 and 9 now and they can't get enough hunting and fishing.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
I taught them to shoot at an early age with a small marlin 22 auto and a target 22 pistol. They are sharing the youngest's AXIS 6.5 creedmore. Both girls love the rifle and its size. Its not the compact, but fits both girls well. I did a lot of research before I settled on it for a first rifle.
The oldest has a 410 single and a 243 single.
The 243 is a piece of junk and I wont let either one carry it with me. Its so inaccurate. Her mom bought it without consulting me.
My youngest also has a youth 20ga pump.
The oldest is getting a sxp field 20 for Christmas. I plan to take them on a quail hunt in a couple months as well as thin out some fox squirrels on the deer property. She rescued a gsh pointer this year and has worked so hard with it. She wants to see how it does in the woods.

We have always been outdoorsy. I build jeeps and we go rock crawling every month until deer season starts. The youngest is more into hunting than 4 wheeling. The oldest loves rock crawling.
My oldest was a golf prodigy in high school. Until covid and then she decided she wanted to be a teaching pro instead of a playing pro.
What kind of gun is the 243 single?

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
I started kickin round in the woods when I was about 4. I started my boys about the same age. I got one biological boy that would live in the woods chasin critters if he had the opportunity. My youngest boy likes to go, buy gets discouraged if he ain't seeing deer. My old is adopted and didn't get to hunt really. His dad was a poacher among other things and didn't ever take him. He goes sometimes, but can take it or leave it. He would rather be fishing. I just try to keep it simple and don't set any expectations. When they first started. Some hunts might last 4 hours. Some might last 40 minutes.

buckpasser

I don’t think it is really a parent’s job to “light a fire” in a kid to make sure they want to do the same activities you want to do. I think you do your best to expose them to a lot of different things and activities and let them figure out what it is they like and are passionate about themselves. It may be the same thing you like, but often it isn’t. Sometimes what they didn’t like as an 8 year they decide they do like later in life. It doesn’t mean you’ve “failed” if they don’t like it like you like it. The bigger issue to me is seeing the kids at soccer and cheerleading practice or drug down to the hunting club that you know have zero interest in being there but are there because the parent is the one who really wants it. You have to help them find the hobbies they like, not force them into the ones you like.

The only forced requirement for my kids was to at least learn how to hunt/fish/trap. They don’t have to keep doing it once they’re on their own if they so choose. I’m sure I’ve unknowingly pressured them somewhat, but we’ve also let them do things I personally have zero interest in (travel sports, marching band, school clubs, etc). so I think they’re pretty balanced. Whatever we do, we enjoy it as a family, and that’s what’s important.

Hunter922

Mine was hooked early (8). First weapon he took to stand with me was a 60x -HD Video camera. Taught him to enjoy other things than the deer. Like lizards eating bugs, spiders eating misquotes, snakes eating mice ; all of these he videod' from the stand.
Started shooting a recurve at 4 and bb gun under supervision at 6. They'll either be hooked or not. Some just don't see it and that's alright.
Mine is hooked and at 23 is one of the best hunters I've ever seen..

across the river

The only forced requirement for my kids was to at least learn how to hunt/fish/trap. They don’t have to keep doing it once they’re on their own if they so choose. I’m sure I’ve unknowingly pressured them somewhat, but we’ve also let them do things I personally have zero interest in (travel sports, marching band, school clubs, etc). so I think they’re pretty balanced. Whatever we do, we enjoy it as a family, and that’s what’s important.
I am with you. I agree and think that all kids should at least be exposed to hunting, fishing, farming, gardening, etc…., if for no other reason than to understand that their food doesn’t just show up all cut up and wrapped in the grocery store. My daughter is college age now and would be the first to tell you she is appreciative of having gone hunting growing up, having killed a deer, caught a bunch of fish(some nice ones too), grown okra in the garden, etc…, but none of that is stuff high on her priority list now, which I get. She will still go with me occasionally, and if we squeeze a hunt in while she is home from school I will enjoy every minute of it. But if she asks me to drive her and her mom to go shopping or take them to a concert, I will, and enjoy that time spent with her as well. Maybe not quite as much if I am being completely honest, but enjoy it none the less.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I think its a synthetic youth rossi from the 2009 era. Very accurate to the end of the barrel.
My brother bought my neice one, that 20 was brutal

300 Mag

Just make it fun and let them be part of it. I can remember taking a DVD player and hot chocolate filled thermos and marshmallows. My daughter would drink so much that we spent more time going to the bathroom than hunting, but, she had fun. We sat in blinds and carved "make beleive" guns. Oh how I wish I had pictures. It was always more about bonding than hunting. But, in the end, she turned out to be a good hunter and still makes it a priority to get a daddy daughter hunt in each year.

Attachments

• 20141115_102614.jpg
    20141115_102614.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20150117_220011.jpg
    20150117_220011.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20171014_075927.jpg
    20171014_075927.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221022_171340.jpg
    20221022_171340.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20161022_203128.jpg
    20161022_203128.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20171125_175820.jpg
    20171125_175820.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Resized_20181124_211929_5697.jpeg
    Resized_20181124_211929_5697.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 9

300 Mag

Just make it fun and let them be part of it. I can remember taking a DVD player and hot chocolate filled thermos and marshmallows. My daughter would drink so much that we spent more time going to the bathroom than hunting, but, she had fun. We sat in blinds and carved "make beleive" guns. Oh how I wish I had pictures. It was always more about bonding than hunting. But, in the end, she turned out to be a good hunter and still makes it a priority to get a daddy daughter hunt in each year.
Said another way, as long as your spending time with them, who cares if they become a hunter. What's important and priceless is the time spent with them.

basshappy

BANNED
Spending quality time together as a family is critical. For every reason we (should) already know. I also believe that good parenting involves exposing children to a wide variety of things whether the child asked to be included or not. To some extent we as experienced and educated adults know what every child needs and our responsibility is to make it happen.

Food, finances, family, friends, faith, health, education, mechanics, and the future are areas I believe parents are required to expose and educate their children on.

My boy and my step children have been exposed and educated to varying degrees and breadths to all of these areas depending upon who they are at various times in their lives.

I am likely the minority here - I never set out to make fishing or hunting fun. Nor did I doctor either up in order to influence the adventure or their interest. Learning to fish my children used artificial lures even when live bait would have been easier to land fish. Learning to hunt was similar - no baiting. Find the indicators, play the wind, be patient, hunt smart. I didn't want to set either activity up as a fun time where action was fast and regular simply because most of the time that is not what happens. We were hot, we were cold, we were dry, we were wet, we were hungry, we were thirsty, we got skunked, we harvested. I think my boy has a good understanding of what is involved in hunting, fishing, and gardening as a result of my "real approach". He will fish for hours without a strike or a land and not complain or fidget or ask to do something else. He will sit still for hours with minimal body adjustments on the ground, in a stand or a climber, or in a natural blind when hunting and, like fishing, not complain, fidget, or ask to call it.

Like me, sometimes he is more excited to fish or hunt than other times. And he has learned when things come together and the action is hot to pinch himself and bask in it because that is not what happens most of the time. LOL.

I see different parenting styles as a coach for youth through high school sports. I see all sorts of behaviors in these kids and I draw some conclusions, right or wrong. I do think no one knows your kid better than you, and so you are best equipped to expose and educate in whatever manner you believe is best in that situation or time. Father Time is a constant. He marches forward. Every day. While Mother Nature is fickle, always changing and difficult to pattern. Ha ha

Timberman

For me, hunting or fishing wasn’t “something we did” it was simply life. It wasn’t optional, it’s just what we did as a family.
I’m not sure that helps, but it’s the only perspective I have to offer.
It was the same way with my kids. It was our life and still is.

Now that my kids are grown my daughters aren't into it but it is a trait that their significant others must have. My son is ate up with it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think too many people nowadays start kids out on big game when they should be starting them out on small game. And pass all the "serious deer hunting" stuff onto them, which can kill it. (No, that one doesn't have long enough G2s, he's only two years old, etc.) If you want your kids to grow up loving the outdoors and hunting, make it fun for them instead of a job.