Deer hunting with a 12 gauge shotgun

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
The fella I deer hunt with uses one of them buck kickers for coyotes and talks pretty highly of them, too.

Robust Redhorse

Look into a rifled barrel for it.

A sabot slug can be accurate up to about 200 yards. Might even to need to put a scope on it, at that point.

There is not a more versatile firearm in the world than a quality pump 12 gauge shotgun that is widely available and has commonly available after- market accessories (Nova/Super Nova, Remington 870 or Mossberg 500).

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Lots of good info here, but bottom line is that your kid can use it, effectively. I seem to jump deer on the regular when walking through the woods. Shotguns just became a legal deer weapon in GA recently (again I think), so it’s legal. I just got a new shotgun and plan on using it too! I put a tru glo choke(.665) and am amazed how well it patterns the longbeard XR with an 18.5” barrel.

treadwell

How old is your son? When I was getting set up for a Illinois hunt, I was testing multiple loads, brands of slugs. I'm 6.1" 223 #s. I'd shoot 4-5 rounds MAX then put the gun up. Slugs can be brutal and after 4 rounds, not flinching was impossible. My three buds said the same thing.

James12

Most every thing shot well out of my 870. We dog hunted. We would shoot something to see a pattern. Mostly at 30. All seemed to knock the tar out of something.
Triple 000 shot further but not many pellets to a shot. 1 buck has more pellets so it looks the best even if the pattern is the same size. Copper plated was tighter but lead seemed to flatten out bigger as it hit.
I’ve used it still hunting in the woods also.

Number 1 buck with a modified choke would be my choice today’s world.

To be honest I would recommend any rifle to still hunt would be better than a shotgun. A shotgun has its place and we used it dog hunting.

My Theory on still hunting. What if he’s at 60 yds or even 80. I would want even my old 30 30.
But shotguns are fun.

This ^^^

Dog hunted as well, shotgun. Rem 1100 3” XX. Had rifle in case he stepped out in the road a ways down.

Shot the 16g until I got older.

reflexman

Snake Dodger
He’s 21 already has a 20 gauge he bought the supernova Benelli 12 gauge from his brother for turkey, but just trying to see what’s an ethical round and distance for deer hunting. I used to dove hunt with a single shot Stevens 40 years ago so I’m no expert on shotguns. Thanks for all the input.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
How old is your son? When I was getting set up for a Illinois hunt, I was testing multiple loads, brands of slugs. I'm 6.1" 223 #s. I'd shoot 4-5 rounds MAX then put the gun up. Slugs can be brutal and after 4 rounds, not flinching was impossible. My three buds said the same thing.
:rofl: :rofl:It’s not funny if it ain’t true! TRUE THAT! I’ve often asked my bff why would we shoot a 3.5” high brass Turkey load? I’m glad my new shotgun won’t let me chamber one…3” is enough(in this particular instance)!
Honestly I never minded the slugs, but Turkey loads?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Look into a rifled barrel for it.

A sabot slug can be accurate up to about 200 yards. Might even to need to put a scope on it, at that point.

There is not a more versatile firearm in the world than a quality pump 12 gauge shotgun that is widely available and has commonly available after- market accessories (Nova/Super Nova, Remington 870 or Mossberg 500).
I have a Winchester 1300 with a rifled slug barrel. I don't use it much, but it's the Hammer of Thor on critters with one of those big Lightfields, and pretty durn accurate. Sounds like whacking a dead cow with a go-devil when that slug hits.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I have a Winchester 1300 with a rifled slug barrel. I don't use it much, but it's the Hammer of Thor on critters with one of those big Lightfields, and pretty durn accurate. Sounds like whacking a dead cow with a go-devil when that slug hits.
I took a young man hunting. We sat in a old old house and hunted out a window. The kid brought a 12ga with a slug. Deer came out at 30 yds. He flipped it every which way when it hit.
He jumped out the window and ran over to it. Telling I got it. I got up took 3 steps opened the door and walked over there. :rofl:

They pack a punch.

Robust Redhorse

If slugs recoil too much and you don't want to buy a rifled barrel,
use 2 3/4" #4 tungsten buckshot with the tightest choke you can find.

# 4 buckshot (if tungsten), has 27 pellets and will shoot completely through a deer at over 100 yards.

Make sure you pattern the gun with it and it can put at least 3 pellets in a 6" circle where you are aiming in order to establish an effective range. You probably want some kind of sights on the shotgun, because a bead only at the front of the barrel won't, usually, do the job.

Robust Redhorse

With regular lead, #1 buckshot is the bomb!

You get several more pellets with .30 caliber pellets (#1 buckshot) than you do with .33 caliber (00 Buckshot), and I don't think the deer notice the difference.

Also, 00 buckshot is so common, that you can get some pretty crappy factory loads, if you buy cheap stuff.

Mauser

Gettin a deer with a shotgun is on my list for this season. Got it done with a bow,muzzle loader,pistol and rifle. Got an old magnum A5 30’’ full what I killed my first turkey with, I’m itching to kill a deer with.