Benelli Ethos Shotgun Deforming Buckshot in the Magazine

fenderjw

I posted this on the Shotgunworld website as well but I didn't get many answers. I guess they dont shoot a lot of buckshot over there :p

I shoot a lot of buckshot and I am wondering if anyone else is having this issue. My Benelli Ethos 12 gauge is a great gun!. Its light fast handling and patterns #1 buckshot very well using a Kicks choke. The problem is that the shells in the magazine are subject to recoil and some of them are bulging just above the brass case head. The bulge is severe enough to cause feeding problems. I know the Ethos is light and I know that it's an inertia gun but factory new ammo (purchased a couple of months ago) shot through a quality shotgun shouldn't be deforming like this :mad: Pics are of Remington 16 pellet #1 Buck that were number 3 and 4 in the magazine. After firing the first two shots, number 3 caused a FTF. Perhaps other brands are tougher than these Remingtons?

Attachments

• Rem1buck bulge.jpg
    Rem1buck bulge.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Rem1buck buldge2.jpg
    Rem1buck buldge2.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 25

transfixer

to me that looks like a problem with the way the shell was made ? it appears that the plastic is sliding out of the brass? measure those against some right out of the box that are new and see if there is a length difference ?

Gator89

I have shot a bunch of 3" 20 gauge ammo through my Ethos, never noticed ammo doing that.

Also have shot both 3 & 3.5 buck shot and turkey ammo in pump guns, never had a shell deform.

I would try a 5 pack of another brand(s) of ammo.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I posted this on the Shotgunworld website as well but I didn't get many answers. I guess they dont shoot a lot of buckshot over there :p

I shoot a lot of buckshot and I am wondering if anyone else is having this issue. My Benelli Ethos 12 gauge is a great gun!. Its light fast handling and patterns #1 buckshot very well using a Kicks choke. The problem is that the shells in the magazine are subject to recoil and some of them are bulging just above the brass case head. The bulge is severe enough to cause feeding problems. I know the Ethos is light and I know that it's an inertia gun but factory new ammo (purchased a couple of months ago) shot through a quality shotgun shouldn't be deforming like this :mad: Pics are of Remington 16 pellet #1 Buck that were number 3 and 4 in the magazine. After firing the first two shots, number 3 caused a FTF. Perhaps other brands are tougher than these Remingtons?
Hulls will buckle like that, in that spot, when they are too full to put a proper crimp on. Basically trying to put more components in that the hull has room for.

Have you checked the rest of the unfired shells to see if they have a slight buckle in them to start with?

In my experience with hulls, Remington have been the least consistent in length. If they had a batch of shorter hulls come through the loading machine that was set to crimp a longer hull that held the payload better those automated machines would crunch em down, cause that buckle ring and keep on going.

If the recoil is causing it I would be shocked.

bullgator

It does look like a shell issue more so than a shotgun issue. The only possible shotgun issue (I don’t think it is) could be the cap over the tubular magazine spring might have a burr or something that keeps it from moving freely in the tube.

jaydawg

Been shooting buckshot for 40 plus years, lots of different guns and ammo…never seen that…find it hard to believe it’s a recoil issue…looks like defective ammo components or improper loading to me…

fauxferret

Hulls will buckle like that, in that spot, when they are too full to put a proper crimp on. Basically trying to put more components in that the hull has room for.

Have you checked the rest of the unfired shells to see if they have a slight buckle in them to start with?

In my experience with hulls, Remington have been the least consistent in length. If they had a batch of shorter hulls come through the loading machine that was set to crimp a longer hull that held the payload better those automated machines would crunch em down, cause that buckle ring and keep on going.

If the recoil is causing it I would be shocked.
^ this right here. Learned my lesson the hard way trying to develop some experimental buck and ball loads. Between that and the pressure testing I decided not to pursue it any further.

Latest posts