How Long do you Wait to Gut

ddd-shooter

I always gut ASAP. We keep heart and liver and never have ever had ‘bad’ meat from wild game. Coincidence? I don’t think so

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I always gut ASAP. We keep heart and liver and never have ever had ‘bad’ meat from wild game. Coincidence? I don’t think so
My uncle swears by immediately gutting, also removing the tarsals on a buck.
The tenderloins are easy - get behind the last rib (after the straps and quarters are off) and work your fingers below the spine. You can mostly pull them out without a knife but sometimes I’ll push the guts down so I can make a few minor cuts to avoid losing any. I don’t mess with the hearts very often these days but like Reddfox said guys do it.

This^^^ i Find myself cutting the ends of the loins, but they are a lot easier than you’d think……..and definitely worth the effort!
I need to try and get a heart out…..I might get squeamish though :ROFLMAO:

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I do a semi gutless method, I’ll slice the abdomen and let the entrails hang while I get the tenderloins. Skin, shoulders, neck, backstraps, tender loins then hams. Normally done and in the cooler within an hour of being shot. I’ll step it up a bit if it’s warm outside.
My two were a little older than yours when they killed their first. They kill it, they gotta clean it and help process it. It’s also a great time to learn anatomy and get a visual of how destructive a bullet can be.

wm742

I like to drag mine over to the road or out in the field first. I dont like dragging the open carcass. After I gut it, I want the next movement to be throwing it in the truck.
If I sneak in before work, I pay the processor to gut it. I also don't like walking into million dollar houses smelling like a dead deer.

Rdterry

My 2 cents. I used to hunt 20 acres residential(good times) and took them home to gut to not attract coyotes that cruised through sometimes. One time it was 2 hours before gutting a doe in 90 deg, and the meat was fine. I don't recommend it, but it worked.
I've waited several hours after shooting one early when it was below 55 to keep hunting with no problems.
Last Tuesday right before dark I made what I thought was a low and back(as in gut) shot on a 100 acre wma tract and came back the next day. If bumped I would have lost him for sure. Looked like the arrow hit a branch. (Deer didn't know it was shot and walked off.) Turned out to be a double lung and maybe some liver, and he was likely dead in less than 30 min. It was about 45 deg when shot and 32 in the morning.
Did gutless in the woods and the meat's in the fridge and smells fine. He didn't smell either. He was stiff as a board and was not coming out of the thick stuff. At 64 yo that was more work than I thought. It's much easier fresh and hung on a gambrel.

buckpasser

Question for those that don't gut.

What about the tenderlions and heart? Some good eating being left in the deer with the guts.

You can get the loins without gutting. Most I know through the heart away.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Question for those that don't gut.

What about the tenderlions and heart? Some good eating being left in the deer with the guts.
If I'm not gutting it, I'll cut the flanks right in front of the hams just enough to reach in there and get the tenderloins out without spilling the guts. No problem at all. I usually gut them right after I kill them, especially here in the mountains where it's usually a long drag, or if it's warm. If it's cold and I can get it back to camp or home really quick, sometimes I clean them without gutting. I prefer to gut most of the time, though, because it starts it cooling quicker, and also, I usually get rib meat, flank meat, brisket, and everything I can get off one to grind, and that's a lot easier when it's gutted. I like the heart, too.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
So do I.
Folks waste alot of meat, if they are not getting those cuts.
It amazes me how many people don't even get the neck. That's five-ten pounds of burger on a good buck.

spencer12

We can clean an entire deer and get every piece of meat without ever gutting, that’s the way we do it. Neck, both shoulders, back strap, tenderloins, and both back hams.

rugerfan

As soon as I find the deer, I tag it, then gut it. I was told by a meat processor at a young age, that you need to get the guts out asap, to start the cooling process, and avoid any bacteria , as the decomposition process starts as soon as the brain and heart stop functioning. My biology teacher in high school confirmed that statement. Whether or not it is really true, I am not a biologist, I just gut them asap.

I gut them as soon as they finish kicking from the .22 short in the top of the head. My daddy always said if he did not hear that short pop within 20 seconds of my rifle shot, he knew I missed.

wm742

If you’ve already shot them what’s the 22 in the top of the head for?
I do that sometimes. If I'm on the ground already and the deer is laying there bleating. Ill walk over and put a pistol round in her head. I don't like listening to them suffer.
I also like that better than the neck slitting thing. I still can't believe people do that.

patriot15joe

Gut as quick as possible for a couple reasons. First, most of the blood comes out of the animal when you gut it (depending on where you shot it). Secondly, it helps the meat to start cooling. And third, it helps with the drag.