Limpwristing question

Balrog

I went shooting with my adult but small statured daughter today. Most of her shooting experience with handguns has been with 22 LR and 22 Mag because she doesn't like recoil.

Today I tried her on some 380s, and she was pleasantly surprised by the recoil being less than she thought it would be. In fact, she felt the 380s had less recoil than a 22 mag from S&W J frame snub nose. So I don't think recoil is a problem for her with 380.

She was shooting a Glock 42 and Ruger LCP Max. The slide on the Glock is considerably heavier than on the Ruger. She would have occasional failures to feed (slide not totally closing on a chambered round, or closing without chambering a round) with the Glock but not with the Ruger.

Of note, both guns are 100 percent reliable when I shoot them.

My theory is she was limpwristing some, and the energy of the 380 was not enough to run the heavier G42 slide all the way back while limpwristing, but was enough to push the lighter LCP Max slide back even when she limpwristed a little bit. We talked about locking her wrist when shooting semi autos so the gun has something firm to push against during recoil so the slide cycles properly, ejects the spent case, picks up a new round, and returns fully to battery. When she started locking the wrist, the problem with the G42 went mostly away (only happened once more during the next 50 rounds before we stopped for the day).

Does my theory make sense?

Of note, she shoots the G42 more accurately than the LCP Max (she says she likes the Glock sights and trigger better), but unless we can overcome the presumed limp wristing issue, I think accuracy is less important than reliabilty.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I think you are on it. Is her hand big enough to hold the pistol so that the recoil is delivered to the web of the thumb and directly in line with the bones of the forearm? That will frequently fix the problem. If her hands are too small it can force recoil to be delivered more into the thumb and causes a wrist twist which exacerbates the problem.

transfixer

My stepdaughter had the same issue with a lcp I bought her years ago, I checked the pistol out thoroughly myself, even polished the feed ramp substantially, to make sure that wasn't causing any issues, but I could shoot it fine, she wasn't locking her wrist, I finally got her to overcome it with practice, but haven't went shooting with her lately to make sure she's still doing it,, told her the other day we need to shoot sometime soon

Jester896

Senior Clown
42s are funny like that...she needs to mitigate the recoil better like mentioned above.

My friends wife had a 42 when she first started shooting handguns and hated it for that very reason. Once she got she got better at controlling the recoil with a 43, 43X and her 48 she doesn't have any issue with her 42

Last edited:

Balrog

I think you are on it. Is her hand big enough to hold the pistol so that the recoil is delivered to the web of the thumb and directly in line with the bones of the forearm? That will frequently fix the problem. If her hands are too small it can force recoil to be delivered more into the thumb and causes a wrist twist which exacerbates the problem.

Yes, I think you are right. She was holding the grip too low. I had her start gripping it up higher so the web of her hand was in good contact with the beavertail curve of the grip. (Not really a beavertail on the G42 I guess, but I mean where the beavertail would be on a 1911).

Thanks to all who applied, looks like we are all on the same page.

rosewood

So, are we admitting Rugers are more reliable than the Gaston's gift to man?

:) :)

Rosewood

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Nope, the shooter has a part to play in every shot from every weapon.

rosewood

So a gun that works with all shooters isn't more reliable than one that doesn't work with all shooters unless they hold it just right?

Kind of sounds like a company that says their gun only works with certain types of ammo, but yet other guns works with all types of ammo. Seems to me there is a design issue in there somewhere.

Rosewood

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Any gun that is held or operated improperly will not work properly. Every gun is not for every shooter. In the past I have fired qualification round that graded expert with a 1911 but 1911s just aren't for me and I can't shoot them nearly as well as wheel guns. I promise you that does not mean that Mr Browning had any issues in his design of the weapon.

Last edited:

rosewood

Any gun that is held or operated improperly will not work properly. Every gun is not for every shooter. In the pash I have fired qualification round that graded expert with a 911 but 911a just aren't for me and I can't shoot them nearly as well as wheel guns. I promise you that does not mean that Mr Browning had any issues in his design of the weapon.
You mean 1911?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
So, are we admitting Rugers are more reliable than the Gaston's gift to man?

:):)

Rosewood
I own, like, and trust both, and have never had any issues from either. I like the trigger better on the Glock.

rosewood

I own, like, and trust both, and have never had any issues from either. I like the trigger better on the Glock.
I own both and trust them both. My point is that some make out that the Glock is perfect and works always. We have an example where it doesn't work for 1 person whereas another gun does.

I do not like Glock triggers at all.

OP, I do apologize for derailing the thread, I should probably have kept my mouth shut.

Rosewood

killerv

Bought my wife a 42, she limp wristed the heck out of it, she'd get mad when I went through mag after mag without issue. We sent it down the road. It was very accurate for me though.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
My wife has shot many different guns with no problem. If she picks up a Glock it jams. Consistently. I actually love taking her to shoot Glock fanboys guns that never jam ever.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
You mean 1911?

Of course that is what I meant. I am an antique and sometimes my fingers don't do what I tell them to any more. LOL

I fixed that and the other typo in that post for you.

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have a Glop and have had it for years. I like it but I like lots of other guns just as well. If your wife can not shoot a Glop it is more likely a wife problem than a Glop problem especially if she is shooting one that works for other folks.

My wife shoots her Glop well. She shoots mine just as welll. But then if she decides to slap you you will know that you have been slapped once you know where you are. LOL

Balrog

So a gun that works with all shooters isn't more reliable than one that doesn't work with all shooters unless they hold it just right?

Kind of sounds like a company that says their gun only works with certain types of ammo, but yet other guns works with all types of ammo. Seems to me there is a design issue in there somewhere.

Rosewood

I think the reason it happens with the Glock more than the Ruger is that the slide mass on the Glock is a lot more than on the Ruger. The slide mass of the Glock absorbs some of the energy, limp wristing absorbs some of the energy, and the 380 doesnt produce enough energy to overcome those 2 things and still be able to cycle all the time.

I took her shooting again yesterday, and we concentrated on proper grip and keeping the wrist locked, and the problem with the Glock went away.

As I said earlier, she prefers the Glock for a few reasons, including the trigger and less perceived recoil than the Ruger LCP Max (probably because the Glock weighs a little more).

This thread was not intended to be a discussion of whether Glocks are perfect or not.

rosewood

Of course that is what I meant. I am an antique and sometimes my fingers don't do what I tell them to any more. LOL

I fixed that and the other typo in that post for you.
The reason I asked was because Springfield has a model 911. Then you said Browning, so I wasn't 100% sure what you meant.

Rosewood

killerv

"I took her shooting again yesterday, and we concentrated on proper grip and keeping the wrist locked, and the problem with the Glock went away."

Will she remember that same concentration if God forbid there ever has to be a time to use it to protect her or loved ones? That's the issue.