Ruger's New Security .380

GunnSmokeer

Ruger came out with a new .380 pistol. Bigger than the LCP or LCP II, but smaller than S&W''s EZ .380. Like the S&W "EZ" guns, this new Ruger's got a short and light trigger pull, and is very easy to rack the slide on.
And unlike the Smith EZ pistols, this one's got a double-stack magazine. 10 round capacity standard, or 15 round capacity for the extended version (which has a built-on grip extension.)

1695464910985.png

This gun has a big write-up in the latest (October) issue of America's 1st Freedom magazine printed by the NRA.

One thing I think Ruger missed the boat on, as to this pistol: It's barrel is way too short to be ideal in the role of home defense. It's 3.4 inches.

It's a perfect barrel length for concealed carry. Not open carry, and certainly not home defense duty.
Ruger should make a long-slide, long-barreled version of this with a 4.5" barrel so that it has less recoil, is more controllable in rapid fire, more accurate (primarily due to increased sight radius, not mechanical accuracy) and more POINT-ABLE if somebody needs to fire it so fast all they have time to do is glance across the top of the slide and roughly point it at the target without actually acquiring a "sight picture."

menhadenman

At that size it seems like you might as well tote a 9 mm?

I purged my safe of 380 a few years ago for that reason. Ammo is expensive, sometimes hard to find, at a size that’s not noticeably smaller than the compact 9 mm from a carry perspective.

Not that it won’t work for others, just doesn’t check out for a guy my size.

Thanks for the write up - I do like Rugers, but mostly a huge fan of their revolvers, bolt guns, and rimfire offerings.