Self Defense in New York City

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR924

Maybe a stupid question but just curious since self defense options are so easy and clear in Georgia. Going to spend about a week in downtown New York City towards end of the year and will be riding the subway. Have been warned by some nearby residents that is has got more dangerous to ride the subway although trains into New York City are not that bad. However the odds of trouble if we keep travel in the daytime and early evening is very low. My wife of course just expects no issues with crime. I will be traveling with my daughter so thinking that being with several out of town women may make trouble a little more likely. Just wondering what weapon you would carry although it may mean you get arrested if you use it. I think pocket knifes with 3" or less blades are legal although if you use the knife in a threatening manner you will be arrested. Of course I could carry a small pistol but the wokeness of that prosecuter makes me think even if I am assaulted and hurt, I will be arrested if I just show a gun. Any thoughts except staying home?

ryanh487

You will be arrested for using a weapon for self defense in NYC. And tried. Even if it's justified. You might be acquitted if you're really really lucky. Just stay with crowds, don't talk to anyone on the street, keep your head on a swivel, and your wallet in your front pocket.

ChidJ

@ryanh487 is probably right. For some marginally useful, lesser known options, they have those really pointy fake sharpies. You could try that. Are utility knives illegal? Could use a box cutter, maybe. A big ball bearing?

Mostly just having fun brainstorming. I've made up my mind I'll never see NYC in real life due to your aforementioned concerns

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
You absolutely CAN NOT carry a gun in NYC.

Reason aplenty to stay the heck outta there...

NYC is very woke/liberal and being from outta town you will ABSOLUTELY be prosecuted for any conflict you may have.

I gotta hear what is a good enough reason for you to take your loved ones into that cesspool, because for me, there ain't one period.

I hope y'all get in and out safe.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
You absolutely CAN NOT carry a gun in NYC.

Reason aplenty to stay the heck outta there...

NYC is very woke/liberal and being from outta town you will ABSOLUTELY be prosecuted for any conflict you may have.

I gotta hear what is a good enough reason for you to take your loved ones into that cesspool, because for me, there ain't one period.

I hope y'all get in and out safe.
Short,sweet,accurate, and to the point! Oh and by the way, are you from up that way yourself?

HughW2

Recently went to NYC and rode subway. Every ride I saw easily identifiable crazy people; a couple of which were obviously trying to make people uncomfortable. The NYC resident I was visiting just quietly told me to get off the train car we were on and move to the next cab. Better than getting into a physical confrontation.
As other people have already posted, don’t carry up there. It won’t go well. I have no intention of ever going back. A lost City.

pjciii

Don't take this advice but if you think you or a loved one are in danger, then be the aggressor. Now Charles Bronson used a good sock and a roll of quarters. Also the 1%er's have a bandana in there back pocket and in the pocket they have a heavy lock like a Mastercraft tied on to the end of it. They can sling that thing and hit anyone Inside of their personal space.

That said have a safe trip.

transfixer

Don't take this advice but if you think you or a loved one are in danger, then be the aggressor. Now Charles Bronson used a good sock and a roll of quarters. Also the 1%er's have a bandana in there back pocket and in the pocket they have a heavy lock like a Mastercraft tied on to the end of it. They can sling that thing and hit anyone Inside of their personal space.

That said have a safe trip.

If I absolutely had to go there ,,, and I can't think of ANY reason to make me go to the cesspool of a city, I would carry something like the above ^^^ good strong sock, and something small enough to fit inside the end of it that had some significant weight to it ! and a roll of dimes taped up good ,, not as good a brass nucks, but work quite well !

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
If you’re driving up there’s several other states that will be problematic with carry, IE VA and DC. I do everything in my power to stay out of NYC. Its been a while since had to go there thankfully.

Dub

I am very, very grateful that I have zero reason to be in NYC....and anywhere like it. @Railroader said it well.
No way I'd drag my family into that wasteland.

10 years ago ? Sure. I'd give it a go. Now that things have declined so horribly over the last 5 years....no way....no how.

If I was forced to go....I suppose I'd be investigating having a stout cane as an accessory. I'd probably even use it for improved stability on stairs.

Cold Steel makes one that would suffice as a weapon, if needed.

91PBX_1__40654.jpeg

JR924

Thanks for the replies. I was weighing the risk of gun carrying vs. a need to defend my family and me from extreme harm. Wondering if anybody had that thought or had done it. Cane is a good idea. Row of quarters is another good one. My brother in the Navy used a row of quarters to knock a guy out but nobody knew he used the roll of quarters so all his shipmates thought he had a powerful punch. I actually bought a cane that could be used for fighting when I had hip surgery. Read a cane is the only legal thing you can have that is effective as a weapon in 50 states.

My youngest daughter lives up there and she wants to show us Christmas in New York in early December which could mean traveling at night. If I do not go, would cause problems at home plus my wife and daughter would just go without me. Thinking the cane and common sense to stay away from trouble is best option. Thanks.

DAVE

Any weapon you have to use be it weighted sock, cane, pen, brief case, boot, fist, you will probably end up in jail. If you actually hurt the offender then you may be a grandfather by the time and if you get out and you will also be broke. Once you are behind bars who will look after your family? If you are a White man and have an altercation with a protected minority you can expect especially harsh and unfair treatment.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I am very, very grateful that I have zero reason to be in NYC....and anywhere like it. @Railroader said it well.
No way I'd drag my family into that wasteland.

10 years ago ? Sure. I'd give it a go. Now that things have declined so horribly over the last 5 years....no way....no how.

If I was forced to go....I suppose I'd be investigating having a stout cane as an accessory. I'd probably even use it for improved stability on stairs.

Cold Steel makes one that would suffice as a weapon, if needed.

View attachment 1241198

My homemade walking canes are a weapon.

walkin` stick 2.jpg

basshappy

BANNED
@JR924 you have at least 4 months to hone your hand to hand combat skills. That can be quite a long time depending upon your motivation. And you can decide to impress upon your family perhaps learn a few things just in case.

I would take no weapons or any device that could be viewed as a weapon. I would go and enjoy the Big Apple and pay attention to surroundings like everywhere else.

A small canister of pepper spray is legal in NYC. Read the law on the concentration and size. Then invest in one for each person 18 and older in your party. And before you all go and enjoy NYC, practice with pepper spray the same one you will carry there in NYC.

Status
Not open for further replies.