Self Defense in New York City

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregoryB.

My Daughter also sprayed herself once playing with the pink one on a key chain. She was in pain for a while.

JR924

Truly not 'stirring the pot'....but asking or taking advice from folks that have never stepped foot in NYC is comical... Atlanta has higher crime rate than NYC. Of all the 'major' cities in the WORLD NYC generally ranks close to top 10 safest.... safer than Miami, LA, Chicago, Washington DC, etc. etc...

I'm not an advocate for NYC, but if you travel there (or any major city worldwide) with a concealed weapon, and a preconceived fear that you will encounter someone that wishes you harm or violence, that is what you will find - there is a difference in feeling uncomfortable and feeling threatened. If the site of homeless, pandering/beggars, etc etc threatens your sense of security, then yea, may want to re-think traveling. The odds of you and your family actually being attacked to the point that you need to pull a weapon is miniscule. Pay attention to your surroundings - and use common judgement.

Crime in NYC ? sure. Homeless in NYC ? sure. Drug addicted in NYC ? sure. Gang activity in NYC? sure....mental illness in NYC? sure. But I have those human conditions in my hometown here in GA too. But if you are traveling around Christmas time, and going to all the tourist locations, those are the people you will be around - mostly other tourist visiting. If you ride the Metro/Subway you can expect to see homeless sleeping, getting out of the cold, you will likely encounter a 'beggar' ....advice is to do your best to not make direct eye contact, don't engage in discussions (wear headphones or ear buds), and as someone posted simply move between cars if someone is on your car making you uncomfortable.

It will be crowded with throngs of people - likely shoulder to shoulder. If crowded spaces with thousands of people around makes you uncomfortable, then granted NYC is not the ideal travel location. Be vigilant about personal safety? sure. But overly concerned about having to lethally defend yourself/daughter, very unlikely.
This thread needs to die but will say this in closing. I don't think what I am doing is any different that what many are doing on this forum. They train and plan for self defense with a gun but many will not have to use it. However, you can do that and not be that obsessed with using a gun on somebody plus shooting and guns are fun. I am not worried about a lethal encounter in New York City but more for somebody harrassing or putting their hands on my wife or daughter. Anyway, I just want to have a plan I can use but am not going to be worried or obsessed with it. I am going to have a good time but will be fairly confident I have a plan to handle trouble if it comes although I will do my upmost to avoid it. These posts, even from people with no New York experience is helping me with that. Appreciate all replies.

Dub

Safe travels @JR924

I don't envy your itinerary, but understand your desires to keep your family safe. That is certainly job one.

I also understand the fact that the ladies will do as they please and can sometimes leave little choice in matters....you are either with them or not. :banginghe
"Not" isn't an option when safety is a concern.

Heck, the way our current society is degrading, there aren't many scenarios where safety isn't in question.

Hopefully you'll do your research and procure some effective pepper spray devices......and ensure everyone is well versed in their use and equipped with a primary and a back up. Empower each of your group with their own kit.

I'd also give your current cane a stress test. Most will offer some stability when walking.....but few are made to pound & poke on stuff. That is where a highly durable purpose-designed model could be a game changer.

Hopefully those two preventative measures....along with high situational awareness and timing of daily transit will be enough.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I would take enough money to either ride Uber or a taxi and stay off the subway.

JR924

Safe travels @JR924

I don't envy your itinerary, but understand your desires to keep your family safe. That is certainly job one.

I also understand the fact that the ladies will do as they please and can sometimes leave little choice in matters....you are either with them or not. :banginghe
"Not" isn't an option when safety is a concern.

Heck, the way our current society is degrading, there aren't many scenarios where safety isn't in question.

Hopefully you'll do your research and procure some effective pepper spray devices......and ensure everyone is well versed in their use and equipped with a primary and a back up. Empower each of your group with their own kit.

I'd also give your current cane a stress test. Most will offer some stability when walking.....but few are made to pound & poke on stuff. That is where a highly durable purpose-designed model could be a game changer.

Hopefully those two preventative measures....along with high situational awareness and timing of daily transit will be enough.
Violating my rule of killing this thread but this reply interested me. My cane is marketed for self defense and is a dense wood like hickory or oak, quite sturdy. You are right about women doing their own thing even when it does not look prudent for their safety.

May have told the below stories before so forgive me. Several years ago, my wife, this same daughter and I were leaving a theater in Downtown Atlanta. Everybody jaywalked across Spring Street to the parking lot. There were a about a dozen of fine young gentleman hanging around at the nearby street corner at the crosswalk. My wife refused to jaywalk so my daughter and her walked to street corner to cross as I watched. No problem crossing the street but when they got to the sidewalk, I saw this thug (I am sure his mama would say he is a good boy) pointed at them and laughed with his buddies. He then ran diagonally across the street at them. I saw him and ran at him with my hand reaching in my coat pocket. I did not have a gun and was faking it. The thug saw me, stopped in the middle of the street, and ran back to his buddies. To this day, my wife argues she was in no danger. Maybe all the thug wanted to do was just hassle them but I was not going to take a chance.

I have had about a half dozen encounters with thugs wanting to hurt/rob me thru my 45 years working in big cities. Luckily I avoided harm but in a couple of the instances, faking like I had a gun worked. Never stood my ground, just faked, ran or drove fast away. I do not recommend faking a gun but it was all I had that I could do at the time especially when there was more than one of them. That is why I am concerned in New York and want to have a plan. I also had a buddy in Indy shotgunned dead while he walked the street by a group of thugs wanting to rob him, several home invasions in Detroit and Atlanta, one coworker attacked in her car in Atlanta, several coworkers plus friends mugged in Indy, Atlanta and Detroit. Odds are low if you look at the Big City Statistics for a violent crime happening to you but skyrocket when you get in certain areas. I think the New York City subway is that kind of area. Promise I will shut up on this thread. It does need to die.

Ajohnson0587

This is why I own a personal protection dog, 2 actually (1 for me, 1 for the wife). I travel to NY 5-6 times a year to see family and I always have my dog with me, same case for when I’m home and I have to go somewhere where firearms are not permitted. I never feel unsafe, and having a dog that looks a bit intimidating really helps to clear a path when I'm I’m the subway, airport, etc…

The wife doesn’t want to carry a gun most times, so it’s easier to just take one of the dogs. She can easily load the kids and groceries into the SUV while the dog watches. Our dogs are pets, but they are our protectors first and foremost. They know they’re job and they’d die doing it. IMO, they are better than a gun, because they’re ability to be aware of their surroundings, the fact that most criminals are going to think twice keeps us as a family safer.

Attachments

• IMG_0223.jpeg
    IMG_0223.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0222.jpeg
    IMG_0222.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 42

Dub

This is why I own a personal protection dog, 2 actually (1 for me, 1 for the wife). I travel to NY 5-6 times a year to see family and I always have my dog with me, same case for when I’m home and I have to go somewhere where firearms are not permitted. I never feel unsafe, and having a dog that looks a bit intimidating really helps to clear a path when I'm I’m the subway, airport, etc…

The wife doesn’t want to carry a gun most times, so it’s easier to just take one of the dogs. She can easily load the kids and groceries into the SUV while the dog watches. Our dogs are pets, but they are our protectors first and foremost. They know they’re job and they’d die doing it. IMO, they are better than a gun, because they’re ability to be aware of their surroundings, the fact that most criminals are going to think twice keeps us as a family safer.

Outstanding !!!!!!

basshappy

BANNED
been thinking about a Land Gator myself or a Dutchie

Think _reeeeaaaal_ good about it. Either breed. Both are rewarding, but both require discipline, consistency, structure, patience and drive. For the handler. In spades. :) Because Malinois and Dutchies are in a league of their own when it comes to drive. They need to work, they need a job, they need physical and mental work daily.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Think _reeeeaaaal_ good about it. Either breed. Both are rewarding, but both require discipline, consistency, structure, patience and drive. For the handler. In spades. :) Because Malinois and Dutchies are in a league of their own when it comes to drive. They need to work, they need a job, they need physical and mental work daily.
I am aware...probably why I might wait until I retire to devote more time to the dog. A friend of mine has a facility in WI and works with them daily.

I have seen them leave the ground and land on the roof of a Suburban to get the guy in the bite suit

beautiful man btw

leroy

I am aware...probably why I might wait until I retire to devote more time to the dog. A friend of mine has a facility in WI and works with them daily.

I have seen them leave the ground and land on the roof of a Suburban to get the guy in the bite suit

beautiful man btw
The new justified series has a scene of a guy in a tree that is a good demonstration

Dub

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
:unsure:

Why ???

Seems like a good discussion with some useful opinions being bounced around.
As thread starter, he can kill it when ever he wants.

Just sayin'

Jester896

Senior Clown
there are 3 dots with a drop down arrow at the top of the first post box he made. One of the choices from the drop down are ...Delete Thread :huh:

that's how you kill one quick

rosewood

I couldn't resist.

Can't help but tap your foot to the beat.

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Thread starter, if you want this thread to disappear, simply let me know.

JR924

Not a big deal for me either way. My preference is not to delete it but it fades away towards the bottom of the forum with no further comments. I think the thread has run its course and is digressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.