A Slow Motion Train Wreck, the Midwest Edition

slow motion

Okay it's gonna take a bit before I'm actually hunting. Hope to be in a tree Thursday evening. So the precursor might not belong here but you can skip over that part if you wish. @Jim Boyd hooked me up on a farm in Green County Illinois a few weeks back. I went up and scouted some. Of course as I've said my luck really swings wide on both the positive and the negative. I was riding high that day and had a mishap involving the neighbors soybean field. facepalm: Parts of the farm I still haven't really seen as there was no access. Coming from 1 side the crops were planted up to and underneath the overhanging limbs of the tree line that was so overgrown i had to crawl through before giving up and from the other direction there was a large ditch I couldn't get the four wheeler through and as the weeds arer six to eight feet tall I didn't want to try plowing my way through it on foot.. So hopefully on this trip I can do a little scouting hang a few more stands, as I only have one up currently, and hunt a little. Crops are all picked now so access should be good. Now this trip wasn't planned it just came together as I'll explain.

Day -2 I'm at Ga hunt camp mowing, planting, and hunting because a job was delayed. There are 3 jobs with some flexibility to move around so I moved #2 up. I posted a little in that days LFTT thread. Had to make some calls and texts when job 2 gets delayed. Cool I'll spend the night and hunt tomorrow as well.

Day -1
Hunt the am and Jim replies to a post.
Screenshot_20231004-203954_Adblock Browser.jpg

30 minutes later and Boom. Job 3 is delayed. Hmmm. I've got a few things to take care of tomorrow but perhaps I can sneak off for a long weekend. Now in these situations you have to be stealthy and quiet. Otherwise there's always something a customer needs. Once I'm out of state I'm good. I hunt the pm and drive home. Something else happened but I'll circle back shortly.

Day 0
I finish up some work related things and start on getting ready for the trip. 1st thing I have to put the oil filter back on my 4 wheeler and put a whole bunch of oil in it. Now to explain this I have to back up to Saturday then to Tuesday. Saturday midday I rode in to trim a few shooting lanes. As I got off the 4 wheeler I noticed a small amount of oil on the running board. As I looked it appeared the oil was coming from the filter. Must be loose but it will need to cool before I check it. Trim lanes. Step on a nail from an old stand and forget about the filter. Rode out and loaded up. Once home I unloaded and parked it. Tuesday morning I'm walking in to the same stand the beam from my light catches something in the trail. Bump it over with my boot. It's an oil filter. Looks like mine. Can't be good. It's 150 yards from camp. Go ahead and hunt. Walking out I pick it up and carry to the truck. Now I know you're thinking this is impossible. Would have run out of oil and seized up long before this. Remember my luck. Waaaaay negative and Waaaaay positive. Still runs like a champ. Okay tomorrow morning I head NW. Feel free to join in if you like. Might even see a deer.

20231003_122626.jpg

slow motion

Day 1
If anybody is stil reading along after that hard to believe oil filter story Me n Pop are leaving shortly. Lots of driving to do today. And maybe sit in a tree later. Gonna be a great season.

slow motion

And of course coming in Nashville there's an accident slowing everything down. I never have much luck traffic wise in Nashville. But at least there's a good station. Got AC/DC cracked up. It's a Long Way to the Top If you want to rock and roll LOL.20231005_065546.jpg

Jim Boyd

Drive safe and have fun Dale!

With beans out it will look a lot different!

4 wheeler likely has a roller bearing crank - might be surprised how durable it is.

Love to see some pics!!!!!!!

bilgerat

Senior
Good luck Dale!!! I always hit traffic in Nashville no matter what time I go through there, seems like they got 42 highways all merging together through downtown.

slow motion

Okay I'm fueled up again a mile from the Kentucky line. Next stop Academy Sports in Paducah to get my license. Might be a better place but it's the one I know. Oh and like usual I'm wearing a hat with a big G on it. About to roll through Kentucky. Wildcats play the DAWGS on Saturday in Athens.

GO DAWGS WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO20231005_083625.jpg

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Okay I'm fueled up again a mile from the Kentucky line. Next stop Academy Sports in Paducah to get my license. Might be a better place but it's the one I know. Oh and like usual I'm wearing a hat with a big G on it. About to roll through Kentucky. Wildcats play the DAWGS on Saturday in Athens.

GO DAWGS WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOView attachment 1259308

Be careful wearing that G the further north you get. Folks will ask if you are a Greenbay fan.