1/29 PM-An Ode to Dad!

Geffellz18

Final sit of the season for me. First sit was just two days ago! I don’t create enough opportunities to get into Gods country in GA due to work and limited options that I’m willing to take advantage of nearby.
So I travel annually back home to NW FL to spend time with mom & dad and get some time in the woods with dad.
Admittedly, I say create opportunities because I just don’t have the passion I once did for hunting.
There’s a million reasons I can think of to justify why in my mind, but all are simply excuses for not lacing up the boots and getting out there.
There’s definitely one reason that I travel over 350 miles in mid-late January every year though. Dads not getting any younger-his days on this Earth are becoming more limited everyday. Not only that, but his body is succumbing to the torture he put it through over the past 70+ years.
So I’m here-even if just for a few days-to appreciate time with the one that taught me this great sport of hunting!
For even if for just these few days, my passion builds intermittently as I truly do enjoy this time each year, being in the woods I grew up hunting in, with Dad!

My setup for the final hunt is on the edge of a stand of planted pines facing West into a creek bottom. Small stand of hardwoods to the south with an active scrape line directly behind me about 40 yards running North/South.
NW wind about 9mph with gusts up to 20.
On private property of a family friends, about 200ish yards South of the AL/FL state line.
Dads basically straddling the state line up a pine tree overlooking the same creek bottom to his right and an open area he made, along with the old road bed the scrape lines on.

LFTT view left to right
South
IMG_8527.jpeg
West
IMG_8528.jpeg
North
IMG_8530.jpeg

Last edited:

Geffellz18

Well, nothing to post pic wise, but the final hunt was an eventful for dad…He had two opportunities at, in his words, one of the if not the biggest buck he’s seen in that country. Unfortunately there was no evidence that he hit him.
The deer stepped out in his left side down the “main” road he was setup on. He attempted a neck shot “and I’ve told him he needs to quit that since in most recent years he doesn’t appear to be near as sharp of a shot as he once was!”
Clean miss and the deer ran about 50 yards into the wood line and blew at him. I heard it blow from where I was sitting.
Dad figured it was the buck running the scrape line and was hopeful that he would step out in the old road bed and check his line. He did just that about 10-15 minutes after dad took the shot and presented another opportunity, but much further and with more obstacles to navigate around like limbs and stuff that were too high for him to clean out.
To no avail, no game but a great story to share and embellish for years to come.
He still has about 3 weeks until the end of season here, so maybe he’ll have an opportunity for redemption!
It’s was great being here to experience with him, even if we weren’t dragging skinning it out.

Last edited:

slow motion

Well, nothing to post pic wise, but the final hunt was an eventful for dad…He had two opportunities at, in his words, one of the if not the biggest buck he’s seen in that country. Unfortunately there was no evidence that he hit him.
The deer stepped out in his left side down the “main” road he was setup on. He attempted a neck shot “and I’ve told him he needs to quit that since in most recent years he doesn’t appear to be near as sharp of a shot as he once was!”
Clean miss and the deer ran about 50 yards into the wood line and blew at him. I heard it blow from where I was sitting.
Dad figured it was the buck running the scrape line and was hopeful that he would step out in the old road bed and check his line. He did just that about 10-15 minutes after dad took the shot and presented another opportunity, but much further and with more obstacles to navigate around like limbs and stuff that were too high for him to clean out.
To no avail, no game but a great story to share and embellish for years to come.
He still has about 3 weeks until the end of season here, so maybe he’ll have an opportunity for redemption!
It’s was great being here to experience with him, even if we weren’t dragging skinning it out.
Congratulations on another successful hunt with your Dad.

:cheers:
Raise my glass (coffee mug) To many more to come.