Lime out by hand

SWAMPFOX

I need to put about a ton of lime on a 1/2 acre food plot. Local lime dealer won't deliver less than 5 tons. So I'm looking at getting a ton in my GMC pick up and spreading it by hand with a shovel from the bed of my truck. I do have access to a tractor to cut it in. Just wondering if anyone here has done this before and what I'm looking at time-wise...a couple hours, all day, couple days?
Thanks.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I need to put about a ton of lime on a 1/2 acre food plot. Local lime dealer won't deliver less than 5 tons. So I'm looking at getting a ton in my GMC pick up and spreading it by hand with a shovel from the bed of my truck. I do have access to a tractor to cut it in. Just wondering if anyone here has done this before and what I'm looking at time-wise...a couple hours, all day, couple days?
Thanks.

I would Use pelletized lime and a cone spreader. I wouldn’t worry about plowing it in.

Jim Boyd

Tough call

Can the lime truck get in to the field?

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Thanks.
I have done a churchyard years ago,I was in a lot better shape then. You can do it if you want to bad enough. One ton doesn’t sound like much of a sweat.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve spread some by hand before . Now all we use in the pelletized lime and spread iit with a spreader

Jim Baker

Staff member
What size truck you got? 2000 lbs. is a good load on a 1500 pickup. As said above use pelletize lime and a spreader. Use to put it out on remote plots with a spreader on 4 wheeler.

Gaswamp

Thanks.
Done it..have a young back or two and it goes faster

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Did the same a few years ago Won,t do it again.
Ask them what they would charge for 1 tondelivered and spread, or buy pelletized.
I would order 4 tons and a 75.00 delivery charge.
I then learned the truck can mix the lime with the fert and spread it.
Got above the minimum for a delivery charge.

Long Cut

No sir.
Do 4x applications at 500# a time of pelletized lime.
It’s not ideal or cost effective but in situations like these, the most practical I hate to say.

This is assuming you have a push spreader or only basic lawn spreaders.

If you have a PTO cone spreader, you can do a lot more at once obviously.

davel

I bought a small drop spreader for that very reason. Will hold 500lbs. I use the tractor bucket to load it. Initial investment was around $1400 but well worth it. It has an agitator so the ag lime can't/won't bridge. Perfect for small plots. It's called the GroundBuster.

mattb78

Spread with shovels will give poor distribution and cause uneven ph and in some spots turn your soil acidic to alkaline. Use the pelletized as suggested. You should cut it in.

reds

Have read of folks blowing it out the back of pickup or trailer with a leaf blower while someone drives the truck over the plot.