Planting food plots in dr dirt

sghoghunter

We are planning on planting plots next weekend at our club. We have all seed,fertilizer and pellet lime now and tractor getting a ride this Friday morning. The way we have always done was spread fertilizer and lime then harrow real good then spread seed but would have good moisture in the dirt already or a good rain forecast. All plots are pretty much shaded except two so I’m sure there’s enough moisture down there to germinate the seed. My question is could we harrow as deep as we can,spread seed,lime and fertilizer then disc in lightly or would we be better off spreading lime and fertilizer then harrowing in not so deep then spreading seed? We’re all over two hours from club and can’t wait on a good rain chance

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Watching.
We are getting ready to plant basically in dust this weekend with the next chance of rain a week or more away following...
I'm hoping there won't be enough moisture for germination until the rain.

Last edited:

sghoghunter

Watching.
We are getting ready to plant basically in dust this weekend with the next chance of rain a week or more away following...
I'm hoping there won't be enough moisture for germination until the rain.

I’m thinking the same thing especially if we can get down 6 to 8 inches. I’ve always heard dust it in and fill the bin but it’s a different story when it’s not in ya back yard

2dye4

We are planning on planting plots next weekend at our club. We have all seed,fertilizer and pellet lime now and tractor getting a ride this Friday morning. The way we have always done was spread fertilizer and lime then harrow real good then spread seed but would have good moisture in the dirt already or a good rain forecast. All plots are pretty much shaded except two so I’m sure there’s enough moisture down there to germinate the seed. My question is could we harrow as deep as we can,spread seed,lime and fertilizer then disc in lightly or would we be better off spreading lime and fertilizer then harrowing in not so deep then spreading seed? We’re all over two hours from club and can’t wait on a good rain chance
I say spread all together and harrow in at once. Ground is so hard at this time and don’t think you can plant too deep unless you have sugar sand soil. Go for it and I do t think you can go wrong.

MFOSTER

BANNED
i would fertilize,and lime harrow and wait until rain to spread seed and cover
im thinking moisture ground after rain it’s gonna germinate about same as planting now.if you have hogs and Turkey they gonna have field day until it rains.
that is if you have handy equipment available at anytime.

sghoghunter

im thinking moisture ground after rain it’s gonna germinate about same as planting now.if you have hogs and Turkey they gonna have field day until it rains.

If it was closer to the house that’s what we would do but it’s hard to get all 5 members there at the same time much less doing it as soon as there’s rain coming.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
We're 2 hours away also. We've run the sub soilerr through all the plots twice in the last 6 weeks so the ground is tore up and clean. We're planting with a driller so it should be underground good. Hoping for the best.
Time to do it or forget it, I think.
Not finding any corns in the woods so I think the plots will be important this year, as tough as they are being to get planted.

sghoghunter

From what I’ve seen there’s a decent amount of acorns this year. We’ve got enough feeders scattered out that would keep them around but it sure makes for a nice cool afternoon to watch over a perty green plot

treemanjohn

Banned
Yep. I prefer to let it rain once to hydrate the ground and then seed. As dry as we've been it's going to take a bit for the soil to moisten up.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I turned dirt last weekend. The soil with high clay content had some moisture down deep but everything else was dry as a popcorn poot. The 14 day extended forecast says don't count on any rain so I'm going to hold off on planting until probably late next week. I thought about putting in my lime and fertilizer this week but I think I'm just going to wait.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I turned dirt last weekend. The soil with high clay content had some moisture down deep but everything else was dry as a popcorn poot. The 14 day extended forecast says don't count on any rain so I'm going to hold off on planting until probably late next week. I thought about putting in my lime and fertilizer this week but I think I'm just going to wait.
To late for me. I counted my chickens before the hatched ?
We planted with the storm coming.
Couple years ago we waited til rain and it was mid November. Maybe that way again.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Couple years ago we waited til rain and it was mid November. Maybe that way again.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. Maybe I'll have something sprouting when the rut gets here. :rolleyes:

Ihunt

I had sone hunters that year ask why the plots where not planted and green. They said we paid out money. ?
I had to explain it take rain to grow a plot. You make it rain. I’ll plant them. ?

People are going to fuss and complain no matter what you do.

I planted the Sunday,Monday, and Tuesday before all of the Ian rain that never showed up. My plots will turn green or not when it rains. I did my part now it’s up to the good Lord.

Some people may find it amusing to realize that long ago we hunted and killed deer without food plots. This year may be one of those years.

CarolinaDawg

Unfortunately the only right thing to do is wait for rain. If you do have any moisture left in your soil, turning with a harrow will promptly remove it for you. I’m in the same situation in my place. It’s killing me not having my plots growing right now, but I’m going to wait for rain even if it means I’m planting during the season.

killerv

I did too, took off last Thursday with it showing 85% rain for Friday. Of course we got nothing. Oh well, turkeys should eat well.

We got a couple of inches from Ian. Gonna plant at the club on Friday. I got the one behind my house planted right before the hurricane. I have not checked on it since. Lexington county SC.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Unfortunately the only right thing to do is wait for rain. If you do have any moisture left in your soil, turning with a harrow will promptly remove it for you. I’m in the same situation in my place. It’s killing me not having my plots growing right now, but I’m going to wait for rain even if it means I’m planting during the season.

Yep. NWS says 60% chance of rain Wednesday night/Thursday morning. I'll be on the tractor ricky tick on Tuesday and hopefully finish up Wednesday before it gets here.