Removing thatch - how important

ppelaez

After disc’ing and dragging, i have a ton of thatch in the plot. How important is it to remove before spreading seed? It’s a small 1/4 acre plot and I’m doing it the hard way - with an ATV Groundhog disc and then dragging with a harrow. I’ve always raked the thatch off the plot thinking that it would prevent good seed to soil contact. It’s a lot of work raking - just wondering if it’s really necessary.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I have been planting for deer for 50 years and have never done what you describe. I say no it isn’t necessary.

Lilly001

I usually bushhog before I disc up.
that way any vegetive matter is cut smaller.
But I have just disced and seeded, leaving a lot of tangled mess behind. It is not as pretty but it still works.

Big7

The Oracle
I have been planting for deer for 50 years and have never done what you describe. I say no it isn’t necessary.
This. ^^^^^^

Better to turn it under if you got enough harrow, IMO.

Rotting vegetation is good + it loosens the soil and holds moisture.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Leave it .... seed a little heavier if need be.

The thatch has a "fertilizer value" of around 4-.5-2, along with hold moisture and temperature, in the ground.

Meriwether Mike

I have done it both ways. Whether you remove or not did not seem to make a difference. Its like spreading wheat straw over your yard when you seed it.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
If I have to cultivate (I'm 95% clover) then the soil is going to get tilled to a farethewell and whatever the drag harrow leaves behind stays where it lays. Sooner or later it breaks down and becomes a soil amendment. If it sprouts back up, kill it again next year.

Long Cut

To add-
I’ve moved towards a Spray-Mow-Spray then wait - Broadcast Seed

I’ll spray early September, Mow mid-late September then spray again late September or early October; wait for good rain and broadcast seed.

Doing this with clover, Rye and chicory blends; I’m beginning to have perennial stands of clover. Effectively reducing or even eliminating the need to Spray.

You may have to spray Clethodim for grasses during the Summer or Halosulfuron for the Nutsedge... But the overall amount of work & time is reduced by at least half.

I say all this to say, you don’t have to invest all this time, equipment and money into food plots. Unless you want to.