Fimco Seeder

redlevel

I drove down to Tifton to Agri-Supply last week and bought a Fimco seeder to use with my Kawi Mule. I’ll use it mostly to sow ryegrass and millet for grazing. It would be a great unit for a serious food plot situation. In the past I have been mixing the fertilizer and seed in a cone type spreader and spreading it with the tractor. Then, just drag over it with a drag made from old tires. Neither ryegrass nor millet needs to be planted deep. That worked well when I could still get Ammonium Nitrate. AN could be left on or near the soil surface without fear of losing it to volitization, caused by hot weather or moisture on the soil surface. The urea nitrogen we have to use now is another story. If it isn’t incorporated by rainfall, at least 1/4 to 1/2 inch, or by harrowing it in at least an inch deep, it starts going into the atmosphere as a gas Pretty quickly. So now, Iam applying the fertilizer, harrowing it in, then spreading the seed and dragging it.

Anyhow, I bought the seeder, and a kit to mount it with a 2” receiver hitch. It can even be mounted on a truck hitch. I went a step further and had a friend weld me up a receiver tube to mount to the front of the mule. I can see where the seed is going, and adjust the width of throw on the fly. I spread about 10 acres of ryegrass Friday, and drug it in on Saturday. The unit worked very satisfactorily.
ECEA7FED-C89A-459F-B229-05B8E2C2C798.jpeg0AB76B93-DFB1-4D1A-ABF9-CD3A240CD572.jpegECEA7FED-C89A-459F-B229-05B8E2C2C798.jpeg0AB76B93-DFB1-4D1A-ABF9-CD3A240CD572.jpeg56ED79EC-607E-4B96-9A58-238B09781B38.jpeg486CF6D8-6D78-44C9-A530-30D8452C45D4.jpeg

Buckfever

I bought the same spreader several years ago and it's been a game changer for me. I've had to replace the motor 1 time and it's got some rust on it from me not washing it out as soon as I'm done using it ( my fault on both issues). When it quits working I'll buy another one just like it.

BriarPatch99

We have a rear mounted electric spreader on my JD Gator ....I see PMC motor controls for $16 on Amazon .... All I need do is fashion a front hitch(already have the rear one) ....

Good idea!

GeorgeShu

Briar, I have an Earthway spreader very similar to the one shown above. I jiggered around and found a way to mount it to the brush guard on the front of my Gator. Basically I drilled holes thru the brush guard and used “J bolts” that hold the spreader mount in place. I added a wooden lath to enable me to regulate the flow rate without leaving the seat. The power cord had an in-line on/off switch that I ziplock to the dash. I ran an extension cord under the bed to the battery. Works like a charm! Takes less than 5 minutes for install/removal.
Thinking back, I had to reverse the mounting brackets on the spreader as it was originally designed for mounting on back of a 4 wheeler.

B. White

Little spreaders come in handy. I bought a sportman's guide brand at least 8 years ago and it is still going. I don't have a way to put it on the ranger, but mounted it to a 1X4 and use two clamps to put it on the 4 wheeler rack when needed. These things work good for sowing small seeds that are hard to meter with a bigger spreader, but I noticed the price is now exactly double what I paid back then.

BriarPatch99

Briar, I have an Earthway spreader very similar to the one shown above. I jiggered around and found a way to mount it to the brush guard on the front of my Gator. Basically I drilled holes thru the brush guard and used “J bolts” that hold the spreader mount in place. I added a wooden lath to enable me to regulate the flow rate without leaving the seat. The power cord had an in-line on/off switch that I ziplock to the dash. I ran an extension cord under the bed to the battery. Works like a charm! Takes less than 5 minutes for install/removal.
Thinking back, I had to reverse the mounting brackets on the spreader as it was originally designed for mounting on back of a 4 wheeler.

Currently I have two pieces of bed rail across the bed of my Gator ... I use 1/4" J bolts to hold on to the slots in top rail of bed ....

I fashioned two aluminum adjustable wings about 15" wide each to control how wide my sow pattern is ... most areas are the cut out row between planted pines ...10'/12' or so ...

My speader is a Moultrie brand ...problem is it has a flat bottom area that does not feed the seed down to the spreader well

I have a Agi Fab 175 lbs pull type that has a better hopper design ... I may modify it to be a front mount spreader .... with the PMC control ...I could control it much like the OP spreader ... along with my wings ....it would be the better way to control...

sleepr71

Does it have a cover,to keep seeds from bouncing out? Looks like a nice unit. Me…I like my spreaders mounted on the rear. Cuts down the fertilizer & mold dust I breath?. BTW…your lean to looks about as messy as mine…got some cleaning up to do over the winter ?

Latest posts