This years throw and mow experiment.(Literally)

Don't have the equipment to maintain it I don't think. Don't you have to spray it and mow it at a certain height?
Yes and no. You can seed it with a bag seeder. Spray it yes. You want to kill out the grass and broadleaf. Not a must but is best. You don’t really have to break ground to get clover going. Best bang for your buck. I don’t mow my clover I let it goto seed and do its own thing. I do fertilize it

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Yes and no. You can seed it with a bag seeder. Spray it yes. You want to kill out the grass and broadleaf. Not a must but is best. You don’t really have to break ground to get clover going. Best bang for your buck. I don’t mow my clover I let it goto seed and do its own thing. I do fertilize it
Good answer.
I planted a bunch of different clovers so I had something for the wildlife to eat year-end.
Spray,fertilize and lime is easier than plowing.

Todd E

@Hit-n-Miss let your pull machine and soil moisture dictate weight added.

I waited until it rained before I plowed this year. We had been so dry. No weight.

Sometimes I will throw a big tire over jack.
Keep in mind, I have a few more discs than your model.

BluewaterFever

Following along here.
I'm kinda in the same boat on relying on someone with a tractor and I don't like that.
I got a small harrow like you all and atv or SXS to pull it with. Its a learning curve for sure. Weights, some or no weight. I also have a 15 gal sprayer, small electric broadcast fertilizer, drag harrow and bag seeder.
I have spray most of the food plots at our club, takes a little time but that's ok. I also have walked the plots broadcasting the small brassica seed.
I have had some pretty good luck with my food plots but the dang deer wear it out and the turkey eat all the seed!o_O

Hit-n-Miss

Following along here.
I'm kinda in the same boat on relying on someone with a tractor and I don't like that.
I got a small harrow like you all and atv or SXS to pull it with. Its a learning curve for sure. Weights, some or no weight. I also have a 15 gal sprayer, small electric broadcast fertilizer, drag harrow and bag seeder.
I have spray most of the food plots at our club, takes a little time but that's ok. I also have walked the plots broadcasting the small brassica seed.
I have had some pretty good luck with my food plots but the dang deer wear it out and the turkey eat all the seed!o_O
Nice. Sounds like you got everything you need. I don't have a sprayer or a drag. I usually would lightly disc the seeds in when had access to a tractor.

One thing about adding weight to small disk is the bearings and wheels are not rated for that. Over time it will destroy them. If you transport take the weights off. Can’t tell you how many I replaced on a tuff line atv plow. As far as drag that’s easy box spring mattress, pallet old big tire. Chain length gate all. Even taken the gate off the back of your atv trailer and dragging that works great..

ventilator

Anyone have any luck using the HOT CHIC seed mix from Domain? They push it as a low pH throw n grow option on newly cleared ground.

BluewaterFever

Got Kingcutter ready to go. With new wheels and a hanger. View attachment 1284359
Got a small harrow like that as well. Hopefully it will do what I need. The plot is currently planted with a fall / winter food plot mix. I will burn it down with gly in the spring and wait a few weeks. Then disc, fertilize, drag, broadcast seed and then give it a light drag or cultipack, if that project is done.
Then pray for rain.

slow motion

Finished some repairs and added some heavy steel grating to topside of disk today. Now I can stack some concrete blocks and strap them down as well if extra weight is needed.View attachment 1286005View attachment 1286004
Iike the grate. Sometimes I attach buckets then throw in rocks or whatever is handy for weight. I have buckets as a by product of drywall work so I use for lots of stuff. Also found farmers like to have a few and it proptes good will with them.