Spring/Summer Planting Ideas

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Oh yes ..... I spray clethodim to kill grass and 2,4d-b to kill broadleaf weeds. I will also spray glyphosate on clover to kill off everything else, when needed. Clover is hard to kill and will get set back by glyphosate, but will come back.

Lime, fertilize, spray & overseed is my extent of work.

TomC

I haven't found the need to spray Glysophate on my clover. Clethodim and 24DB sprayed spring and late summer does a very good job. Another benefit among many of overseeding the clover with cereal rye or winter wheat in the fall is to help choke out the weeds the following spring when the wheat and rye takes off. When you spray in the spring this will knock back the rye or wheat thats helped to choke out the weeds and help build the soil at the same time. Makes the clover HAPPY! As mentioned before to overseed rye or wheat into the clover in the fall I just set the discs on my harrow straight, rough it up real good, broadcast rye or wheat, drag with chainlink and fertilize. 0-20-20 is not readily available near me so I use 6-24-24.

Your first year will be establishing the clover and fighting the war on weeds. Year two it really cleans up and takes off. Don't forget, now is the time to frost seed clover into your existing clover. A step you don't want to skip!

Last edited:

Canuck5

When you spray it with glyphosate do you reduce how much you mix?
One quart per acre, but that is done in the early spring, when everything is growing well and is done on well established clover. You have to know how many gallons per acre you spray! It sets it back and like TomC says, the reseeding nature of established clover helps a lot.

Do it as a last resort if you have lost control of the plot. Clethodim and 2,4d-b are the right herbicides to use on a regular basis.

Bucaramus

Question for Canuck5, TripleC, TomC. We drilled about 4 acres with WI Fusion and BFO last fall after spraying with Gly and 24D. Of course we didn't get any rain to speak of for a while but it still did decent. I have some Durana and Patriot that I want to frost seed but Temps aren't where they need to be really fit that. When should I do it? Should i do any prep? Plan on spraying Cleth and 24DB at green up. Suggestions? We fought Johnson grass bad before drilling.

Canuck5

I would broadcast now. A picture is always worth a thousand words, to see what your plots look like, but my suggestion will still remain the same. No prep needed, just let the spring rains and warmer weather help you.

The sooner you can get the seed to germinate the better off you will be. 2,4d-b will kill the chicory, but get some pictures and we can get a better look at what you have.

TomC

Best to frost seed clover with fresh snow on the ground but in much of GA that may not be an option, otherwise just do it NOW. The more freeze thaw cycles the better to get the clover seed down in the soil before spring. Earthway 2750 is about the perfect broadcast spreader for clover seed.

Also if you are new to the herbicide game be aware that 24D and 24DB are similar in some ways but you want to make sure you get the 24DB (aka Butyrac 200) for clover. Don't trust the clerk to get you the right stuff and it's easy to walk out of the store with the wrong juice. Some say it doesn't matter but I spray Clethodim and 24DB separately. Many mix the herbicides but based on what I've read and also a conversation with my local extension agent I do not mix the two herbicides.

Last edited:

Canuck5

I'd broadcast now and if you have the clover, broadcast at about 5 pounds per acre or a little more. That means you are really putting down about 2.5 pounds per acre of pure live seed, when you take into consideration the coating and germination rate.

hicktownboy

What would be your recommendation in a spot that doesn't have clover now? It was plowed and a fall mix was planted in September. Now it is just ate to ground with very little growth.

Bucaramus

I'd broadcast now and if you have the clover, broadcast at about 5 pounds per acre or a little more. That means you are really putting down about 2.5 pounds per acre of pure live seed, when you take into consideration the coating and germination rate.

When should I fertilize? Soil test called for minimal 0-0-34. One actually needed none. PH is between 6.1 and 6.5 on these plots.

Canuck5

What would be your recommendation in a spot that doesn't have clover now? It was plowed and a fall mix was planted in September. Now it is just ate to ground with very little growth.
You could plant oats or wheat now ...... when things warm up you could do buckwheat. But, most importantly get your soil right, with lime before the fall, if you haven't done it already! :)

Canuck5

When should I fertilize? Soil test called for minimal 0-0-34. One actually needed none. PH is between 6.1 and 6.5 on these plots.

With soil tests, they are designed to tell the farmer how much of "everything" is needed to grow the crop he has specified ... and make money. We're in it to feed deer, so I don't usually put down exactly what a soil test suggests, with the exception of lime and I go all in on that.

So, having said that, if it was suggested to put minimal 0-0-34 down .... I would just pass on that and do nothing till you plant the next crop.

Bucaramus

I actually have more clover than I need. I have another section of fallow pasture I want to work. Could I seed right into it now? Maybe mow low first.

Canuck5

What is it that you want to plant?

In general, for a pasture, that has been a pasture for a while, that you want to work up and plant for deer, I would focus from now until September on weed and grass control. You likely have a lot of weed seed sitting there, waiting for you to turn the soil a little.

Spray, till, lime, and spray and till again.

Bucaramus

What is it that you want to plant?

In general, for a pasture, that has been a pasture for a while, that you want to work up and plant for deer, I would focus from now until September on weed and grass control. You likely have a lot of weed seed sitting there, waiting for you to turn the soil a little.

Spray, till, lime, and spray and till again.
I have about 20 lbs of clover left so I'll probably just stick with that but I might ought to save that for closer to fall and plant something in the summer. Maybe Buckwheat. I know there a ton of weed seed that's why we ended up no tilling last fall. We poked the bear bad last spring and I had the most prolific plots of Johnson grass that you ever saw. Mowed several times when it was 6-8 ft tall! I really don't want to go through that again.

Ihunt

Whoever built that legume utilization chart showing legumes dropping off to next to nothing in late June is on the crack pipe.

Ihunt

Perennial Clover (Ladino or Durana) then overseed heavy with winter wheat or cereal rye in Sept / Oct. Year round magnet with a major boost come prime time. No brainer!
This.
Hard to beat. If you have a drill, you can just drill your grains and a little forage radish in there. And add a little clover every year.

Latest posts