Whitetail Institute Powerplant

Long Cut

Looking for any insight from guys who have tried WI Powerplant seed blend or Merit Seeds “Buck Draw”.

Both seed blends are similar mixes of soybeans, Lab Lab, sunflowers, sorghum, cow peas, sun hemp.

My main goal is to feed deer and keep my summer weeds (sicklepod, Johnson grass, crabgrass, etc) under control. I spent last summer applying various mixes of Gly, 2,4DB and Clethodim in multiple applications to knock them all back.

Im Planting 3 acres, 2 acres in Powerplant and 1 in Buckdraw. I typically mix my own than buying BOB blends, but it was cheaper buying pre mixed blends in this scenario.

sghoghunter

I have planted power plant a couple times in the past and have very good luck. It will outgrow grass and weeds for sure if you start with a good weed free plot. The only thing I didn’t like about it was when I got ready to plant my fall plot it was a pain in the tail to till under. This year I’m doing something similar but I mixed it myself. Three weeks ago I planted iron clays,sunflowers and a lil corn tossed in. The peas should climb the sunflowers and corn and do as good as power plant

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I have planted power plant a couple times in the past and have very good luck. It will outgrow grass and weeds for sure if you start with a good weed free plot. The only thing I didn’t like about it was when I got ready to plant my fall plot it was a pain in the tail to till under. This year I’m doing something similar but I mixed it myself. Three weeks ago I planted iron clays,sunflowers and a lil corn tossed in. The peas should climb the sunflowers and corn and do as good as power plant

I have had success just over-seeding wheat into a summer plot.
Just before a rain in early fall fill a cone spreader with wheat and drive through the peas, etc.
The rain will make the wheat germinate and the summer plants will be gone after frost.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
I have had success just over-seeding wheat into a summer plot.
Just before a rain in early fall fill a cone spreader with wheat and drive through the peas, etc.
The rain will make the wheat germinate and the summer plants will be gone after frost.
I would add bush hog after spreading the seed. I've done that and had good results I'm thinking cause the cut plants provided a 'mulch' to help the seed bed hold moisture

sghoghunter

I planted my plot here at the house with iron clays,sunflowers and a lil corn throwed in. I planted it around 5 weeks ago and it’s bout knee high. The sunflowers got hammered hard but some still seem to be growing while the peas are getting nibbled on in spots. They usually don’t hit them real hard till they start putting on peas. Also on one side I made a few rows of corn then planted a few rows of northern beans just to try since we had a few packs. They got up about 6 inches tall and they leveled them in one night. I harrowed them up and replanted them with the earth way planter by a wanting to help 3 yr old grand boy

Attachments

• 5B5D06AA-B22D-4B8B-A7AA-8405A2AEA273.jpeg
    5B5D06AA-B22D-4B8B-A7AA-8405A2AEA273.jpeg
    416.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 5A8CFE1B-BD3E-466A-ADCA-9A95F0980B24.jpeg
    5A8CFE1B-BD3E-466A-ADCA-9A95F0980B24.jpeg
    340.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 2E38D0F7-2317-4FB2-8454-832E0F8C24EF.jpeg
    2E38D0F7-2317-4FB2-8454-832E0F8C24EF.jpeg
    404.3 KB · Views: 42

sportsman94

I planted my plot here at the house with iron clays,sunflowers and a lil corn throwed in. I planted it around 5 weeks ago and it’s bout knee high. The sunflowers got hammered hard but some still seem to be growing while the peas are getting nibbled on in spots. They usually don’t hit them real hard till they start putting on peas. Also on one side I made a few rows of corn then planted a few rows of northern beans just to try since we had a few packs. They got up about 6 inches tall and they leveled them in one night. I harrowed them up and replanted them with the earth way planter by a wanting to help 3 yr old grand boy

That looks great! Do you expect the corn to make anything if the weather is good or do you just add that for the peas to have something to climb?

sghoghunter

That looks great! Do you expect the corn to make anything if the weather is good or do you just add that for the peas to have something to climb?

Thanks. I added the corn mostly for the deer to feel more comfortable feeding in the daytime. With it just being corn I bought from a local farmer and broadcasting like I did it looks real good so far. It already about waist high with only a light dose of 10-10-10 a couple weeks ago.