Food plot opinions

tunaduck

Well I finally pulled the trigger on my own property in Macon County. Super excited after years of leasing. I have 248 acres and 6 food plots total of about 7-8 acres. My plan is to plant a mix of Buck forage oats, Imperial White tail clover, medium red clover, chicory and trophy Rape. I planted $S's new Record Rack Beans in May and they are about 4-6" tall. They are struggling with the lack of rain after I planted.
What is everyones thoughts on the mix I am planting? PH was 5.1-5.5 in various plots in March. Spread a ton of Lime and Chicken litter in April on each plot.
I appreciate your input. Love the forum.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Most food plot clovers come innoculated, but ....... just make sure

inoculants.JPG

GeorgeShu

Canuck provided the secret to success in his above postings. Read, reread and follow those guidelines and you will be happy. And did I mention getting soil tests on each plot? Getting you soils right saves you money every year.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Depending on soil type you may have to add a lot more lime.
Sandy soil will leach both lime and fert quicker than a clay base.
Here is my input for being free advice.
1.get a soil test. If you retest after 6 months you will get an idea of how much to add every year moving forward.
2. Sub soil all food plots.Or do #3
3.Add recommended lime and disk in.Some county forestry units will do this if they don,t have prescribed burns scheduled.Their disks typically are 20-24 ".
4.Seed annuals until the ph reaches 6.5....7 is better
5.Seed perennial clovers in the fall.
6.The next summer kill everything and start a no till program with several different types of clover and add brassica and cereal grains

Ihunt

More lime will be needed.

I love WTI…….. when you have the soil for it and most of the times we do not. It needs a soil that typically holds moisture. If you have that, plant the WTI clover. The deer will love it.

If you have a more typical Georgia dirt then I would suggest Durana clover. It is hands down the toughest perennial clover out there.

Congrats on your property.

mattb78

Congratulations on the purchase. I would clear a 5-6 acre field, correct the PH, put that in soybeans and let them stand, and I would plant that as often as your soil allows. Not many people have the ability to plant a large field of soybeans that can truly withstand grazing pressure and then let them stand.

FLSparta

Well I finally pulled the trigger on my own property in Macon County. Super excited after years of leasing. I have 248 acres and 6 food plots total of about 7-8 acres. My plan is to plant a mix of Buck forage oats, Imperial White tail clover, medium red clover, chicory and trophy Rape. I planted $S's new Record Rack Beans in May and they are about 4-6" tall. They are struggling with the lack of rain after I planted.
What is everyones thoughts on the mix I am planting? PH was 5.1-5.5 in various plots in March. Spread a ton of Lime and Chicken litter in April on each plot.
I appreciate your input. Love the forum.
I’m guessing you know your ph level by soils test sent to UGA for a complete report.$10 a sample is money well invested. It took me a couple years to get the plots right on PH as well as the rest of the equation. They told me exactly what to use and how much to apply. Chicken litter is golden wish I had someone to supply me with some in my area. Best plots I have every seen have had chicken litter spread on them. I like the mix one other place you can check out that has pretty good info and mixes that can be shipped directly to you is Hancock Seed Company in Dade City,Fl they ship all over the country. Best of luck and harvest some incredible deer this season.