Ryobi 40V Leaking Chain Oil

Minner

I bought one of these Ryobi electric saws back in the spring. I like it for what it is but whenever I store it for more than a few hours it leaks chain bar oil severely. If it sits in the back of my truck for a day or so there will be a big oil slick. I've had several gas powered saws over the years but they never leaked like this.

Any ideas on what to do to remedy this? I've tried to keep it as clean as possible but frankly if it sits, it's going to leak big time. I've read to drain the oil out after each use but I'm hoping this is not the only solution.

pjciii

I was having the same issue with the Ryobi 40v. I looked like I struck oil in its storage case. Went back over the instructions about bar oil. Their(Ryobi) says drain the oil after every use before storage. That seemed unreasonable so I just 4 thick shop towels and put that down In the case underneath. That is as far as I will go.

Minner

Thanks for the replies so far.

I didn't realize this was a common issue with electric saws like this. I got a Ryobi customer support person in an online chat that said this is common with some of their models. A little oil is OK but this things makes a big mess wherever it sits.

Do the Stihl electric chainsaws do this as well?

Doboy Dawg

Had this problem on my Dewalt chainsaws. I noticed the plastic fill plug had a detent that looked like it should have a o ring on it, but it didn’t. My buddy has one and I asked him if his had a o ring and he said no but it leaks too.

I took the fill plug out and went to my local Ace Hardware and dug through the o ring assortment until I found one that fit tight in that detent. I put it in the saw and it almost eliminated the leak. It still seems to weep a few drops, but at least it doesn’t all leak out now.

Minner

Thanks, folks. I appreciate the replies, good info.

I get it that saws may leak some but i have had my Stihl gas saw in my truck for a week and there’s not much, if any really, oil there. The Ryobi, if left for a day, will have a big slick of oil under. Leave it a week and the difference between the gas and electric is huge.

Maybe it’s just a shortcoming of electric saws. I’ll be the first to admit I’m not very knowledgeable about the inner workings of chainsaws but I don’t yet understand how an electric saw can leak so much more that gas.

In searching around the net it seems a lot of folks encounter this.

Minner

Had this problem on my Dewalt chainsaws. I noticed the plastic fill plug had a detent that looked like it should have a o ring on it, but it didn’t. My buddy has one and I asked him if his had a o ring and he said no but it leaks too.

I took the fill plug out and went to my local Ace Hardware and dug through the o ring assortment until I found one that fit tight in that detent. I put it in the saw and it almost eliminated the leak. It still seems to weep a few drops, but at least it doesn’t all leak out now.

I remember reading something similar to this a little while back. Will look into it, thanks!

Stroker

All my chain saws leak oil. I think most gas powered saws use crank case pressure pulses and a check valve to pump oil to the chain. I know my battery powered pole saw leaks like a screen door.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I've got a battery chain saw, and a battery pole saw. Both leak oil. I just get in the habit of draining them after each use, and filling them next time I need them.

Last edited:

Anvil Head

Common with most saws, I have several different makes and all leak to some extent. So.....I drain them when finished on a project. It can mount up to a lot of oil loss and not that big a deal to dump in a container for future use (at least not to me).

Redbow

I add a little STP engine oil treatment to the chain saw oil. The STP helps with the leaking problem as it thickens the bar oil.

hipster dufus

I put used motor oil in my chasin saws after pouring it thru a screen. Might hafta stop cause the new vehicles use 0w-20

earlthegoat2

I was told the Ryobi saw oils the chain and bar by gravity unlike a gas saw that uses vacuum.

Or a mechanical pump like my Stihl gas saws have.

Not sure about the electrics having a pump like this or not. If they don’t and they do have gravity operated oiling then all the leaking makes perfect sense…as does the operator manual saying to empty it since the manufacturer designed it to leak as long as the saw is upright. :oops: