Sometimes the chips just fall in your favor!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
It was a tough, hot week divided among Kentucky and Ohio. Nothing brought home but memories and empty coolers. We all complained about the weather and lack of movement or seeing deer until sunset. My cousin Ricky(landowner and host)and snookman (my bff)were talking about coming back up here during gun season. I told them I might could tag a Monday or Thursday to my weekend(Tues & Wed) and come then, but that’s about it. I checked the schedule and I knew I could get Thursday off, but had to work early Friday. The girl at work asked me what I was doing so I told her. She volunteered to work my Friday without me even asking!! I almost teared up as I thanked her from the bottom of my heart! This means, I can leave after work Monday(11PM) and come home Friday evening! LETS GOOOOO!!
Monday evening the truck was loaded up and ready to go. After work it was a quick change of clothes and add ice! Kentucky bound! I rolled in around 3AM CT. Finally had my after work beer and crashed! I awoke at about 6AM and my mind was already racing with anticipation! But my body was too tired to get up. I finally got out of bed around 9 am and made coffee. I was in my happy place and really just soaking in the moment. I was wishing time would slow down just a bit and make this trip last a little longer. I really wasn’t concerned with killing a deer. I had a few days ahead of me and I simply planned on enjoying every moment!
First plan was to set up the ground blind. I loaded up the 4 wheeler (YASSS! I have access to that too!) with the blind and headed out, no rush, just enjoying the moment, all of it! I set it up at a sort of pre planned spot. After I got it brushed in, it was time to hunt! I went back got the rifle and headed to a stand called Woodys bottom. This place is amazing! I get up in the stand and realize how low the rail was. Oh no! It was perfect during archery, but I have a bum right shoulder so some type of rail is a must for me! This stand isn’t gonna work, so I climbed back down. I brought my saddle, but didn’t feel like climbing a tree just yet, so I went back to the blind. I get inside and I’m finally hunting! While inside I’m trying to come up with a game plan for the rest of the week. My cousin is already in the Creek stand and has been texting me since lunch. He has chasing and grunting all around him and the woods are getting crazy! He’s raised his rifle twice, but can’t get one of the big boys to stop long enough! There was one thing I really wanted to see this trip, and that was a buck actually chasing a doe……it’s been years since I’ve personally seen it!
On Tuesday evening in Morgantown KY, the sunset was supposed to be at 4:54PM. Around 3pm I can’t sit still any longer and needed to go for a walk! I needed to go find the distracted deer that were acting crazy! I headed up the road that leads to the “2 man on the ridge” stand. The wind was in my face and it had rained earlier with a few sprinkles throughout the morning. The leaves made no sounds as I stepped on them and everything was perfect! As I walked down the road, I saw fresh tracks, leaves that had been pushed around under every white oak I passed, and a few scrapes that were super fresh! I knew this was a special day and I was in a special place. I was rounding a corner and could start to see the bright green color of a gorgeous turnip field. It’s a long plot about 25-30 yards wide by 100 yards long. It leads up to the ridge stand, then another long turnip field goes down the other side. On my left is a CRP type short field, an old stand and sort of a burm right beside a cedar tree. It’s about 3:30 now and I found a perfect spot to set up prone style! I lay on the ground and watched the food plot with high anticipation. I walk up and clear a few small weeds that were in my lane, just to make sure I had the entire plot covered. At about 4 pm, I slowly stand up and turn around to take a leak. I am almost done and a deer blows at me! Oh no! This deer is out in front of me somewhere, but I never saw it……..down wind of course. I cut my leak short, turn and hit the deck! They’re here! As I lay back down, I check my phone for the time and it’s 4:06pm. I catch movement up ahead and a doe is bounding from right to left across the field with a BIG buck right on her tail! I just saw chasing and felt like the trip was a success! But I also knew I came back here to kill my first buck! This time the Savage .308 was gonna be my weapon instead of the bow. Another 15 minutes goes by and I see a buck! This one was calmly walking down the rd alongside the plot, headed in my direction. I see him in my scope and I watch him. He’s heading directly towards me side no side view yet. I do see tall enough tines and a big enough body that I knew he was no yearling! He started to turn and off went the safety. When he turned and was broadside, I thought to myself, he’s just not that big. I put the safety back on, crosshairs above and to the left of him.…..just watching. He walked a little closer and my mind is racing. I kind of whispered to myself “don’t pass on the first day what you’d shoot on the last”. Back home on public land, he’d be a shooter all day, but I am in KY and that was just a whisper……not convinced yet.
It seemed like my safety was on and off at least 3 or 4 times. He was an 8 pt, but was only 2.5. My rule was not to shoot anything under 3.5 if it had more than 8 points…..he only had 8!
After watching him for about 15 minutes in the road, he stepped into the plot. He was perfectly broadside and there could be no better scenario for me to take my first buck. The wind was in my face and I had plenty of time. This deer was presenting himself like it was a gift from the Lord almighty himself! Then that same quote came to my head, but this time it felt emphatic….”Don’t pass on the first day what you’d shoot on the last!” Safety off and I pulled the savage tight against my shoulder. I refocused my crosshairs, found my mark and BOOM! I watched through the scope and saw him stutter step his front legs and head into the woods on the left! I just shot my first BUCK! After pushing deer last time up here, I was in no rush to go anywhere! I sent a text to our group of 4, my cousin said he was on his way.
I begin to thank the Lord above and and ask that my deer is down waiting on me. I break down and cry like a baby just as I thought I’d probably do. This trip and everything about it has been perfect thus far. Except maybe, that this whole time Len is driving up from Alabama so he isn’t even here yet! I just sit where I am and I see another buck, then another in the same area. They both go into the woods the same area my buck just entered. I’ve seen 4 bucks so far and shot the smallest one! I call Len(snookman) whose still 6 hours away, and share the events. Then, as I’m talking to him I see a GIANT! I’m on the phone with him and I’m looking at a Giant! This giant is gazing in the woods and I tell Len, “he’s gotta be looking at my deer!” Wholly molly he’s a Giant! I was sure my prayers were answered and my buck would be there. Ricky shows up and we walked up to the field. With a quick glance into the woods I see him! No tracking this deer cause he was right there waiting on me! He may have went 25 yards from where he was standing in the plot. I know this was a long read and I hoped someone would enjoy the ride. The buck was 2.5 a small 8 point frame with character. A kicker on his brow and a velvet mishap gave him a dent in another tine…..very cool! After I killed this deer, I named him…..his name was “Perfect”!
Pics coming!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
My cousin was ready for a photo shoot and may have been as excited as I was! We got the walk up to my deer on video and took a ton of pics. I could barely find an exit and entry would, but after opening him up, his heart was completely disconnected and just laying inside….perfect!
80788760-51B8-4A6F-BAD6-26A7D8AE6931.jpegF6D39B2E-2510-48FF-BA3E-CBAD3F70D7C0.jpeg

Duff

A big CONGRATS! to you bfriendly!! I can tell, by reading your post here, that you are extremely passionate about chasing these crazy deer. I'm tickled for you man! Congratulations!

DSGB

Atta boy! Congrats on a fine buck!

BamaGeorgialine

It was a tough, hot week divided among Kentucky and Ohio. Nothing brought home but memories and empty coolers. We all complained about the weather and lack of movement or seeing deer until sunset. My cousin Ricky(landowner and host)and snookman (my bff)were talking about coming back up here during gun season. I told them I might could tag a Monday or Thursday to my weekend(Tues & Wed) and come then, but that’s about it. I checked the schedule and I knew I could get Thursday off, but had to work early Friday. The girl at work asked me what I was doing so I told her. She volunteered to work my Friday without me even asking!! I almost teared up as I thanked her from the bottom of my heart! This means, I can leave after work Monday(11PM) and come home Friday evening! LETS GOOOOO!!
Monday evening the truck was loaded up and ready to go. After work it was a quick change of clothes and add ice! Kentucky bound! I rolled in around 3AM CT. Finally had my after work beer and crashed! I awoke at about 6AM and my mind was already racing with anticipation! But my body was too tired to get up. I finally got out of bed around 9 am and made coffee. I was in my happy place and really just soaking in the moment. I was wishing time would slow down just a bit and make this trip last a little longer. I really wasn’t concerned with killing a deer. I had a few days ahead of me and I simply planned on enjoying every moment!
First plan was to set up the ground blind. I loaded up the 4 wheeler (YASSS! I have access to that too!) with the blind and headed out, no rush, just enjoying the moment, all of it! I set it up at a sort of pre planned spot. After I got it brushed in, it was time to hunt! I went back got the rifle and headed to a stand called Woodys bottom. This place is amazing! I get up in the stand and realize how low the rail was. Oh no! It was perfect during archery, but I have a bum right shoulder so some type of rail is a must for me! This stand isn’t gonna work, so I climbed back down. I brought my saddle, but didn’t feel like climbing a tree just yet, so I went back to the blind. I get inside and I’m finally hunting! While inside I’m trying to come up with a game plan for the rest of the week. My cousin is already in the Creek stand and has been texting me since lunch. He has chasing and grunting all around him and the woods are getting crazy! He’s raised his rifle twice, but can’t get one of the big boys to stop long enough! There was one thing I really wanted to see this trip, and that was a buck actually chasing a doe……it’s been years since I’ve personally seen it!
On Tuesday evening in Morgantown KY, the sunset was supposed to be at 4:54PM. Around 3pm I can’t sit still any longer and needed to go for a walk! I needed to go find the distracted deer that were acting crazy! I headed up the road that leads to the “2 man on the ridge” stand. The wind was in my face and it had rained earlier with a few sprinkles throughout the morning. The leaves made no sounds as I stepped on them and everything was perfect! As I walked down the road, I saw fresh tracks, leaves that had been pushed around under every white oak I passed, and a few scrapes that were super fresh! I knew this was a special day and I was in a special place. I was rounding a corner and could start to see the bright green color of a gorgeous turnip field. It’s a long plot about 25-30 yards wide by 100 yards long. It leads up to the ridge stand, then another long turnip field goes down the other side. On my left is a CRP type short field, an old stand and sort of a burm right beside a cedar tree. It’s about 3:30 now and I found a perfect spot to set up prone style! I lay on the ground and watched the food plot with high anticipation. I walk up and clear a few small weeds that were in my lane, just to make sure I had the entire plot covered. At about 4 pm, I slowly stand up and turn around to take a leak. I am almost done and a deer blows at me! Oh no! This deer is out in front of me somewhere, but I never saw it……..down wind of course. I cut my leak short, turn and hit the deck! They’re here! As I lay back down, I check my phone for the time and it’s 4:06pm. I catch movement up ahead and a doe is bounding from right to left across the field with a BIG buck right on her tail! I just saw chasing and felt like the trip was a success! But I also knew I came back here to kill my first buck! This time the Savage .308 was gonna be my weapon instead of the bow. Another 15 minutes goes by and I see a buck! This one was calmly walking down the rd alongside the plot, headed in my direction. I see him in my scope and I watch him. He’s heading directly towards me side no side view yet. I do see tall enough tines and a big enough body that I knew he was no yearling! He started to turn and off went the safety. When he turned and was broadside, I thought to myself, he’s just not that big. I put the safety back on, crosshairs above and to the left of him.…..just watching. He walked a little closer and my mind is racing. I kind of whispered to myself “don’t pass on the first day what you’d shoot on the last”. Back home on public land, he’d be a shooter all day, but I am in KY and that was just a whisper……not convinced yet.
It seemed like my safety was on and off at least 3 or 4 times. He was an 8 pt, but was only 2.5. My rule was not to shoot anything under 3.5 if it had more than 8 points…..he only had 8!
After watching him for about 15 minutes in the road, he stepped into the plot. He was perfectly broadside and there could be no better scenario for me to take my first buck. The wind was in my face and I had plenty of time. This deer was presenting himself like it was a gift from the Lord almighty himself! Then that same quote came to my head, but this time it felt emphatic….”Don’t pass on the first day what you’d shoot on the last!” Safety off and I pulled the savage tight against my shoulder. I refocused my crosshairs, found my mark and BOOM! I watched through the scope and saw him stutter step his front legs and head into the woods on the left! I just shot my first BUCK! After pushing deer last time up here, I was in no rush to go anywhere! I sent a text to our group of 4, my cousin said he was on his way.
I begin to thank the Lord above and and ask that my deer is down waiting on me. I break down and cry like a baby just as I thought I’d probably do. This trip and everything about it has been perfect thus far. Except maybe, that this whole time Len is driving up from Alabama so he isn’t even here yet! I just sit where I am and I see another buck, then another in the same area. They both go into the woods the same area my buck just entered. I’ve seen 4 bucks so far and shot the smallest one! I call Len(snookman) whose still 6 hours away, and share the events. Then, as I’m talking to him I see a GIANT! I’m on the phone with him and I’m looking at a Giant! This giant is gazing in the woods and I tell Len, “he’s gotta be looking at my deer!” Wholly molly he’s a Giant! I was sure my prayers were answered and my buck would be there. Ricky shows up and we walked up to the field. With a quick glance into the woods I see him! No tracking this deer cause he was right there waiting on me! He may have went 25 yards from where he was standing in the plot. I know this was a long read and I hoped someone would enjoy the ride. The buck was 2.5 a small 8 point frame with character. A kicker on his brow and a velvet mishap gave him a dent in another tine…..very cool! After I killed this deer, I named him…..his name was “Perfect”!
Pics coming!
Congratulations buddy!