Self Defense in New York City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
A kid in NYC, you have more to worry about than a weapon.
God bless you and your family.

rosewood

Don't go!

Reactions: Dub

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
My youngest daughter lives up there and she wants to show us Christmas in New York in early December which could mean traveling at night. If I do not go, would cause problems at home plus my wife and daughter would just go without me. Thinking the cane and common sense to stay away from trouble is best option. Thanks.
I get it. I'd go anywhere if my child was there. You asked for & have been given some sound advice.
I would not carry & I would be vigilant all the time.
Hopefully since your daughter lives there, she has developed some NYC street smarts & knows where to not go.

transfixer

one major key thing to prevent from encountering trouble is your own behavior , how you carry yourself, how you are constantly observing your surroundings, return someone's gaze, don't look away ! not in a challenging way, but in a way to let them know you see them, carry yourself with confidence, portray strength and awareness and most riff raff will avoid you in favor of easier targets, having multiple females in your group complicates things, because they know they can use them against you, keep them in front of you at all times, or to your right if walking on the street,

your behavior and demeanor can prevent a lot of problems

FlipKing

My wife and I had a great time. Don't get me wrong, I'd never live there, but the food was excellent. We saw some really beautiful sights. Time Square was heck. See it once, don't go back. People get slightly more normal the further away you get from TS. The Intrepid was really cool.

We were there during the Trump Indictments. Got caught in that circus twice by accident.

I understand the people saying don't go, but I valued seeing the Reflection Pools and Survivor Tree, etc. And the views from the Top of the Rock at night plus the Empire State building during the day were amazing.

JR924

Sad state of affairs when one is planning a New York City vacation for Christmas holiday. I know if I use common sense, very very small risk of trouble. However the media just paints a bad picture. Don't understand the voters there.

lampern

You can carry a very small self defense spray

Check NY laws for current maximum size

Probably one of the key chain size ones

Dean

Truly not 'stirring the pot'....but asking or taking advice from folks that have never stepped foot in NYC is comical... Atlanta has higher crime rate than NYC. Of all the 'major' cities in the WORLD NYC generally ranks close to top 10 safest.... safer than Miami, LA, Chicago, Washington DC, etc. etc...

I'm not an advocate for NYC, but if you travel there (or any major city worldwide) with a concealed weapon, and a preconceived fear that you will encounter someone that wishes you harm or violence, that is what you will find - there is a difference in feeling uncomfortable and feeling threatened. If the site of homeless, pandering/beggars, etc etc threatens your sense of security, then yea, may want to re-think traveling. The odds of you and your family actually being attacked to the point that you need to pull a weapon is miniscule. Pay attention to your surroundings - and use common judgement.

Crime in NYC ? sure. Homeless in NYC ? sure. Drug addicted in NYC ? sure. Gang activity in NYC? sure....mental illness in NYC? sure. But I have those human conditions in my hometown here in GA too. But if you are traveling around Christmas time, and going to all the tourist locations, those are the people you will be around - mostly other tourist visiting. If you ride the Metro/Subway you can expect to see homeless sleeping, getting out of the cold, you will likely encounter a 'beggar' ....advice is to do your best to not make direct eye contact, don't engage in discussions (wear headphones or ear buds), and as someone posted simply move between cars if someone is on your car making you uncomfortable.

It will be crowded with throngs of people - likely shoulder to shoulder. If crowded spaces with thousands of people around makes you uncomfortable, then granted NYC is not the ideal travel location. Be vigilant about personal safety? sure. But overly concerned about having to lethally defend yourself/daughter, very unlikely.

rosewood

Truly not 'stirring the pot'....but asking or taking advice from folks that have never stepped foot in NYC is comical... Atlanta has higher crime rate than NYC.
Yeah, but I can carry my handgun in Atl!

I don't carry looking for trouble, just like I don't have a spare tire in my car looking for a flat. It is just in case.

Rosewood

rosewood

Lampern beat me to it. That pepper spray will put a man on his knees quick. It doesn’t take much .
Just make sure you don't spray into the wind.

Deerhead

We went to NY city last year for several days. Stayed in a hotel on 8th Ave. We saw all the attractions, 911 Memorial Museum, central park, show at Broadway, and we road the subway or walked everywhere. We were back in the hotel when it was dark. Had a good time and had no problems. LEO were everywhere. A coworker was a beat cop in the city years ago. He told me to stay on the main streets and do not venture far. A tourist is very obvious and an easy target. Be aware of your surroundings.

Had a great time but after visiting NY I needed to decompress. I could not stand being around so many people. They were everywhere. Oh and the drugs in central park. Yeah that was nasty.

Hillbilly stalker

Ive been thru several cans of pepper spray….I’ve NEVER seen it put a man on their knees. Gel or aerosol. Less is better, the carrying agent, alcohol or water, has to dry somewhat before you get the effects of the pepper. I’ve seen men with it dripping off their ears keep fighting until physically over powered. Ten minutes later in a jail cell, when the carrying agent had dried….they can’t see or breathe a lick. Too late then ;). A little dab will do ya.

F.Y.I , carrying a cane is protected by the A.D.A act. But you can make anything a weapon.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I had a coworker visit NYC several years ago. He was telling me about how different folks are, won't make eye contact, won't speak, etc.
He saw a cop & was going to ask him for directions.
He asked the cop, "excuse me sir, do you have a second?"
Cop said, "no not really", got in his car & drove off.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Big7

The Oracle
Get you an aluminum fish bat and yes, you can find one small enough to conceal. Especially in winter time.

I've told the story of me clocking a Hood Rat one time so I won't go into all that again. I just happened to be close to my boat when the altercation occurred.

Let's just say it was 1 swing and he face planted my concrete driveway and it's a wonder it didn't kill him. His mistake was stepping from the street into my driveway.

Been there, Done That. :wink:

314zClKkZsL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.