Newbie wants 1st gun for dual role?

GunnSmokeer

So suppose you or somebody you know is new to defensive handguns and wants to get "their first pistol" (or revolver).
They say they want this one gun to do everything --- to be good for home defense, to take in the vehicle when traveling, and to carry on-body.
What one gun does all of this?

Well, this article that was recently e-mailed to me by ArmsCorp says you should plan on getting two handguns.
One with the right characteristics for concealed carry (light, small, maybe in a modestly powered cartridge for the sake of recoil management)
and your other handgun to be bigger, but easier to shoot well, and possibly in a more potent caliber, for home defense.

I agree. I carry a tiny pocket sized .380 semi-auto or a .38 spl revolver daily, but my "home defense" or "travel in dangerous area" handgun is a 9mm that has a 5" barrel and uses 16-round magazines, and I have a total of 3 mags for it.

What do y'all think of this article and its reasoning ?

A beginner to the world of handguns may not think that it's necessary to start out buying 2 guns, but I think those of us who are experienced in firearms should try to convince them.

The article should be easy to find at Armscor website.

frankwright

I personally think the idea is bogus.
There are too many handguns right now that will fill both duties.
Why would you think you would need more and more powerful ammo at home against home invaders than you would on the street if you are caught up in a mob riot?
There is no longer any easy to define safe and dangerous areas as murder and assault happen everywhere but I agree some areas put me on high alert just driving through.
A Sig 365XL, Sig P320, Glock 19, Glock 43X and many more are perfectly suited, in my opinion for on the hip and nightstand duty.
Your mileage may differ!

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I think a lot of mid size nines would fit the bill...
Need no 40 or 10 mm.
CZ-75 Compact for tha win.

If the person is absolutely inept at handling a semi-automatic pistol, a 38 revolver and speedloader would be a good second choice.

BUT, everyone should own a gun, and every gun owner should own more than one.
:bounce:

transfixer

used to be a saying " beware of the man with only one gun, he likely knows how to use it "

For a beginner I would recommend one handgun they can get very familiar with, practice, practice and then practice some more! until that handgun becomes second nature to them, till it not being with them constantly feels would feel the same as them not having clothes on !

Then after they know it like the back of their hand , and they want one to leave on the nightstand , they can decide whether to get the same platform or learn a new one .

Bobby Bigtime

Here out west, sidearms for many of us serve a dual role. Outdoor folks have an arm for protection against the creatures we have and that automatically serves the same role for defense against bad bipeds. They are more often not of the traditional concealed carry variety. I started with 38 special shooting copious amounts of ammo, I then transitioned to 45 colt because they are very similar on target. Revolvers in my mind are a no brainier when it comes to dual use.we are fortunate here that selection is more geared towards outdoor applications than creepy peeps.

sleepr71

I don’t agree with this. If you can only afford ONE..get one that fits you,and you can EDC easily. At home..this is irrelevant (to me). I’m not grabbing a handgun. IF I do..it will be to just buy me time to get to one of my shotguns,or semi auto rifles. Out in public(EDC)..I’m carrying the most potent handgun I can hide on me. In the vehicle…that usually means a backup handgun,and a fixed blade knife within easy grasp…

SC Hunter

Article is total hogwash. I'd rather my Mama have 1 pistol that she is very familiar with than having 2 and not being as comfortable with them. I say my mama because she isn't a gun person and doesn't shoot much.

I'd pick a sig 365xl or glock 19. Those two choices would serve well in both capacities.

Bobby Bigtime

Plenty of us have more than two. Sticking with one works fine only if you are proficient. practice makes better ,picking a scenario won't happen so realistically two for a newbie makes little sense.

weagle

The first rule in a gunfight is Bring a Gun. Every other consideration is way down the scale of importance.

Therefore, your first gun needs to be one that you will be willing to have on your person the largest percentage of the time. Ruger LCP in the pocket beats a G19 left in the truck / at home every time. Newb with no training and a Ruger LCP in the pocket is better prepared than the grandmaster that didn't bring his pistol because it was inconvenient or "just a quick trip to the gas station"

GA1dad

I'm a big subscriber to the " the one that's gonna save you is the one you actually have with you" theory.

I own multiple handguns, but 99% it's the 38 snubby that serves all three of those scenarios. It's lightweight, dependable and plenty powerful. Never once felt under armed with it.

Sometimes I carry a pocket 380,,,, but I always remember that one time it jammed. Got a big, heavy 15+1 9mm with 5 mags that I have never carried on my person due to size and weight.

Been really looking hard at getting a S&W 351C Airlite in 22 magnum as an all around, best buddy.

Robust Redhorse

Good golly, I change pistols like my wife changes shoes!

IMO -

1. Find the best pistol for you and use it for every role it can be used for. You may need nothing else.

2. If you find a great carry pistol, but feel feel like you need something else for home defense, then get a full-sized pistol or a fairly short shotgun. (go with maximum mag capacity, optics, light, etc.). I think you are better off with a separate high-quality flashlight than a gun-light in most situations - practice - don't assume. If you can't shoot it well under extreme stress - use what you are used to.

3. If you live in a rural area, add a rifle into the mix. My dogs will let me know if there is a problem more than 50 yards from my front door. If that's the case, then I don't even fool with the pistol or shotgun. A rifle is so superior, that anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot. Just give it the proper optics for the situation.

paulito

I would tend to agree on get one first and learn it. In doing so it may also teach them that it is not the right gun for them to carry all the time and thus becomes the home gun.

I carry my LCP everyday, My Walther I 100% love to shot and it carries nice but in my work world it is not practical to carry all the time so it stays at home in the nightstand more often than not. Finally I have one (el cheapo) that I leave in the truck 100% of the time. Its not fancy but it goes bang and hits where i point it and has been used quite often at the deer camp during off season work event when i forget to bring something else to play with.

krizia829

Glock 19

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I'm a big subscriber to the " the one that's gonna save you is the one you actually have with you" theory.

I own multiple handguns, but 99% it's the 38 snubby that serves all three of those scenarios. It's lightweight, dependable and plenty powerful. Never once felt under armed with it.

Sometimes I carry a pocket 380,,,, but I always remember that one time it jammed. Got a big, heavy 15+1 9mm with 5 mags that I have never carried on my person due to size and weight.

Been really looking hard at getting a S&W 351C Airlite in 22 magnum as an all around, best buddy.
Boy this^^^^! My wife wanted a big ole pistol with a teen count magazine, so that’s what I bought her. It’s a sweet Springfield Armory 9mm(got the range package from PSA)! She’s gotten very comfortable with it both handling and shooting. BUT, she’s only carried it with her a few times…..I had a feeling that was gonna happen facepalm:
She just got an LCP in .380 for Christmas and has it with her all the time. I knew I should have got her that first.
I personally carry a shield in 9mm and can put it on my back with jogging shorts or sweatpants…….I’d recommend it

Dub

It varies on the exact gun but the mode of carry is fairly consistent for me...IWB, similar placement.

Today was a mighty comfortable 13+1 with a 15rd spare on the belt and another 15rd spare in the car.