Thoughts on the selection of a handgun for self defense

Balrog

We have an ongoing 380 ACP v. .38 Special thread in which some good points have been made, as well as some points that although technically accurate may make little or no practical difference in a real world self defense scenario. Here is a summary of my opinion on the use of handguns for self defense.

1. Always carry, even if it is a small gun in a weak calendar. When crap goes bad, I would rather have a .32 in my pocket than a 1911 in the nightstand back at the house. 1911's are great pistols, until it is 95 degrees in August and you have to figure out how to conceal it.

2. Reliability is the single most important factor of a handgun. It must always go bang when I pull the trigger. Clearing a stoppage is plenty stressful in timed competition, and I don't even want to think about what it would be like in an actual self defense scenario. Many will say a revolver is more reliable than an auto, which I have found to be generally true, but I have had revolvers lock up, and when they do, you generally can't clear the stoppage without disassembly of the revolver once you get back home. Stoppages in semi-autos, though stressful, can usually be cleared in a manner of 1 or 2 seconds in the field. For these reasons, I generally prefer a well made semi-auto, that I have personally fired enough to certain it is reliable with the defense ammo I intend to use.

3. Shot placement is only 2nd to reliability in importance, and always trumps caliber. Much time is spent discussing the relative benefits of one caliber over another. I certainly have my favorites. I love 357 Magnum and 45 ACP. However, an ill placed shot with a 357 is always beat by a well placed shot from a mousier caliber.

4. Follow up shots are important. Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting twice. Shoot until your target is no longer a threat. If you can control a 45 ACP and get accurate follow up shots as fast as you can with a 9mm, then go for it. Be realistic about this though, and don't let your pet cartridge be your choice if you can't really do this. I think 45 ACP is a better stopper than 9mm, but I think I can control 9mm better and get faster follow up shots. I would rather have 2 hits with 9mm than one with a 45.

5. Capacity of the handgun is becoming increasing important. Historical averages have generally been that when there is self defense use of a handgun, somewhere between 0 and 2 shots are actually fired. However, I increasingly read reports of multiple assailants attacking someone. A six shot revolver may well be enough to still break up such an assault, but I doubt anyone has ever said "I wish I hadn't had so much ammo" after a gunfight.

6. Modern hollow point ammo is better in calibers less than 45, as long as it does not interfere with reliability.

7. At the end of the day, all that really matters is what works for you. It doesn't matter what pistol or caliber gun writers or internet gurus say is best. There is no such things as a perfect handgun or perfect cartridge for every situation. You need to find a reliable gun that you shoot well, and then shoot it a lot and carry it always.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Any gun is better than no gun, but any other gun is probably better than a .380 or .38, IMO. Even a .22. I carry a Glock 23 in .40 S&W loaded with Gold Dots or Rangers, because it's absolutely reliable, fairly accurate, not heavy or cumbersome, and holds a lot of shells. If I'm wearing something that I can't carry that, I have a Ruger LC9 in a little Uncle Mike's neoprene IWB holster loaded with Gold Dots and a couple extra mags. It even works with swimming trunks and a tshirt.

transfixer

In recent years I have settled on 3 different guns for carry, an lcp for summer/hot weather carry, or when clothes dictate something small, xds 9 for when weather lets me wear a light jacket or long tailed shirt, and Glock 23 for the rare times I have to travel into a part of metro Atl where a gun is more likely to be needed. I always carry concealed, so weather and clothes play a large part in what I carry.

If there is such a thing as a perfect handgun, it would amount to being " the one you carry all the time " not the one you left in the console, or on the nightstand.

GunnSmokeer

Balrog, good post.

But I think "shootability" and "ergonomics" ranks even ahead of reliability. I think the most important thing is they (the gun owners) be intimately familiar with how that particular weapon works.
Their hand closes around it instinctively in the right place every time. They can easily manipulate all of its controls in the dark. If there's a malfunction, they can clear it quickly, no thinking about it.
They can open and close the cylinder of the revolver by feel alone. The kind of familiarity that only comes from regular practice.

If the gun is too snappy on the recoil, too loud, too heavy for women to comforably hold, etc. they won't want to take it to the range and practice with it.

All other factors being equal, I'd rather see somebody own a Brygo / Jennings .380 caliber Saturday night special and practice with that every month at the range for at least 50 rounds

than for them to own a Glock 20 in 10 mm with tritium night sights which is a gun the only fire two magazines worth of ammo thru when it was new, and they put it on the top shelf of the closet ever since then where it has sat for years .

Dub

Good points, @Balrog

I think that I'd add proficiency with the weapon/s of choice ranks up at the top of the list.

A heap of folks go buy 'em.....run a box through it and call it good.

Getting a good grip, how to clear a jam, reload, instinctive aiming and etc.

I agree with your points as well as the one that any gun is better than none. A pair of shorts, a belt and a t-shirt an I can conceal even my full size 1911's with ease. A proper belt and a well made IWB holster is all it takes.

Problem is that I'll often be wearing stuff like Under Armor gym clothes when doing yard work, running errands, etc.

I have a few guns that work out great in pocket holsters and give up nothing in terms of performance.....Sig P938 & G43 being the frontrunners.....even a S&W Airweight loaded with +P .38 Gold Dots sometimes. A well fitted pocket holster and the little ones are good to go.

The P938 controls are instinctive if you comfortable & proficient with a 1911. Same principle with the G43 if you are proficient with Glocks.

The 15oz S&W Airweight revolvers are about as simple as it gets. They give up a little in terms of sights & trigger....but in the close quarters situations they'd likely be needed for I'm confident it'd work out just fine.

G19 disappears from sight and thought......and a 17rd reload in the offside.

Last edited:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I conceal the 380 Smith and Wesson Body Guard everywhere I go. That’s my one gun I don’t leave home without. Even without any type holster, I can slide it right down in the top of my boot.

Of course, there’s plenty more fire power in every room of the house and glove compartments of vehicles.

And I agree on picking something that works for yourself. My wife keeps a 22 mag revolver.

I probably have some of the cheapest utility guns to keep on a tractor, 4 wheeler, etc. It’s the G2 Taurus 9MM. But for me, they’ve held up consistently with no issues and if I lost one, I only lost $200.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Good points, @Balrog

I think that I'd add proficiency with the weapon/s of choice ranks up at the top of the list.

A heap of folks go buy 'em.....run a box through it and call it good.

Getting a good grip, how to clear a jam, reload, instinctive aiming and etc.

I agree with your points as well as the one that any gun is better than none. A pair of shorts, a belt and a t-shirt an I can conceal even my full size 1911's with ease. A proper belt and a well made IWB holster is all it takes.

Problem is that I'll often be wearing stuff like Under Armor gym clothes when doing yard work, running errands, etc.

I have a few guns that work out great in pocket holsters and give up nothing in terms of performance.....Sig P938 & G43 being the frontrunners.....even a S&W Airweight loaded with +P .38 Gold Dots sometimes. A well fitted pocket holster and the little ones are good to go.

The P938 controls are instinctive if you comfortable & proficient with a 1911. Same principle with the G43 if you are proficient with Glocks.

The 15oz S&W Airweight revolvers are about as simple as it gets. They give up a little in terms of sights & trigger....but in the close quarters situations they'd likely be needed for I'm confident it'd work out just fine.

G19 disappears from sight and thought......and a 17rd reload in the offside.

I’ve been looking at the tuckable holsters that will allow you to tuck your shirt. Have you looked into any of those?

Reactions: Dub

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation

mark-7mag

I like that too. Will look into these.
A pistol much bigger won’t fit but like mentioned earlier, it’s better than no gun. I’m considering buying a Sig P938 and I’m curious if it will fit. I’m going to try it out pretty soon

SGADawg

Glock 19 IWB at 3 o'clock or Glock 43 in a pocket. One or more spare mags. As Massad Ayoob, a great gun guy says "Carrying a handgun should be comforting, not comfortable." Carry the most powerful, highest capacity, reliable handgun you can shoot well and conceal even if it means being overdressed. I frequently wear a sports coat, jacket or vest even in hot weather. If very casual wear is acceptable an untucked loose shirt works.

ditchdoc24

Glock 22 plus at least one spare mag every day. Sometimes I carry a Glock 27 instead when I'm hunting.

baddave

would not recommend a M&P shield 9mm .. mine has been back to s&w 3 times .. it is subject to jam if you just hold it w/ 1 hand .. my glock 19 gen 4 is very reliable just a little big for some circumstances .. we really like my wifes Ruger LCR >38 spcl..hammerless revolver

rosewood

I’ve been looking at the tuckable holsters that will allow you to tuck your shirt. Have you looked into any of those?

I bought an Alien Gear. Best price on the market for a tuckable if you don't do too many upgrades. Seems like mine was right at $40 to my door. And they will give you new kydex shells if you change guns for free.

Rosewood

rosewood

would not recommend a M&P shield 9mm .. mine has been back to s&w 3 times .. it is subject to jam if you just hold it w/ 1 hand .. my glock 19 gen 4 is very reliable just a little big for some circumstances .. we really like my wifes Ruger LCR >38 spcl..hammerless revolver
Hmm, you worry me. I have been carrying a shield 40 and have had no issues, but I haven't practiced much with 1 hand. I did add a Hogue slip on grip to it. The grip was too small for my hand, but the Hogue makes it just right and I love the way it shoots now.

I have spoken with some guys at a gun store that indicated they had several customers having issues with the subcompact 9mm having jamming issues because of limp wristing. Several were Glocks. Seems the 9mm doesn't recoil enough to completely cycle if you do not hold the gun firm. 40 S&W has enough recoil to still cycle even if you limp wrist according to them. I can see limp wristing being more of a problem with one hand.

I will be shooting single handed next time I go to the range to see how mine does.

Rosewood

Dirtroad Johnson

I've been satisfied with my old 38 revolver also, I also have a 357 revolver that was my late FIL's. Can't say either way on semi auto hand gun because I've never owned one or shot one.

Last edited:

mark-7mag

Hmm, you worry me. I have been carrying a shield 40 and have had no issues, but I haven't practiced much with 1 hand. I did add a Hogue slip on grip to it. The grip was too small for my hand, but the Hogue makes it just right and I love the way it shoots now.

I have spoken with some guys at a gun store that indicated they had several customers having issues with the subcompact 9mm having jamming issues because of limp wristing. Several were Glocks. Seems the 9mm doesn't recoil enough to completely cycle if you do not hold the gun firm. 40 S&W has enough recoil to still cycle even if you limp wrist according to them. I can see limp wristing being more of a problem with one hand.

I will be shooting single handed next time I go to the range to see how mine does.

Rosewood

I have a Shield in .40 also and have never had any issues but like yourself I've only shot it a few times with one hand. Next time a shoot I'll shoot more rounds with just one hand to see