Thoughts on the selection of a handgun for self defense

GAJoe

I think what he was doing in this video was unsafe, and in the end, all he did was prove something that was basically already known.

He would be better off trading his gun for a dumb bell, a pair of Nikes, and a salad.

I know it wasn't as professionally done as I would have like to have shared but I had seen a comment that the Walther CCP with it's fixed barrel wouldn't be taken out of battery if it had to be pressed into the perp' as a 1911 would be. So I searched for a demonstration that shows which handguns had this issue. Several do and a few don't. In in all my searches this was the only demonstration of what I was looking for. Some people may like to know this when deciding on a CCW. It could very well come into play in a carjacking or mugging that could result in a full contact struggle. Obviously you have to maintain possession and control of your weapon. In a struggle one may have a challenge to get/keep their firearm out of contact. It's good info to know if you need to worry about it or not. The Wather CCP not being taken out of battery influenced my decision to get that model. That's why I shared it.

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Just pure coincidence but, when I took my self defense course we could use our own handgun or the instructors .22.

A lawyer showed up with a brand new Walther in a wood case with a couple extra magazines. The gun he was going to bet his life on. It wouldnt’t fire for him and despite the efforts of the instructors would not fire at all. How that gun got out of the factory that way got my attention.

The lawyer took the course using an instructors .22.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub

transfixer

I know it wasn't as professionally done as I would have like to have shared but I had seen a comment that the Walther CCP with it's fixed barrel wouldn't be taken out of battery if it had to be pressed into the perp' as a 1911 would be. So I searched for a demonstration that shows which handguns had this issue. Several do and a few don't. In in all my searches this was the only demonstration of what I was looking for. Some people may like to know this when deciding on a CCW. It could very well come into play in a carjacking or mugging that could result in a full contact struggle. Obviously you have to maintain possession and control of your weapon. In a struggle one may have a challenge to get/keep their firearm out of contact. It's good info to know if you need to worry about it or not. The Wather CCP not being taken out of battery influenced my decision to get that model. That's why I shared it.

In a close contact struggle someone can could also grab the slide of your pistol and push it backwards accomplishing the same thing, regardless of whether the barrel is fixed or not, so nothing is guaranteed, even a snub nosed revolver with a covered hammer isn't totally fail proof, if you grab the revolver and are able to keep the cylinder from turning the action won't work.

Balrog

In a close contact struggle someone can could also grab the slide of your pistol and push it backwards accomplishing the same thing, regardless of whether the barrel is fixed or not, so nothing is guaranteed, even a snub nosed revolver with a covered hammer isn't totally fail proof, if you grab the revolver and are able to keep the cylinder from turning the action won't work.

I am just not certain how often this has ever happened, so personally would not put great importance on it. Others may feel differently. If you are in that type of struggle, the crap has truly hit the fan.

nmurph

I am just not certain how often this has ever happened, so personally would not put great importance on it. Others may feel differently. If you are in that type of struggle, the crap has truly hit the fan.

Exactly...in the same vein as those that insist on 15+rds and two spare mags for EDC. If you feel the need, by all means have at it.

GAJoe

If I encounter someone with that kind of training I'm probably done for anyway. I have no combat experience or training.

The thread title is "Thoughts on the selection of a handgun for self defense"
so I shared a finding that I viewed as "Need to Know". I'm new to CCW but one of the first things I learned was to learn how your choice of CCW works; it's strengths and weaknesses. I'm not saying that my choice is best and didn't mean to come across that way if I did. Some will have training that will make a concern of mine a non-issue to them. So we all will form our own priorities based on our experience, knowledge, and training.

I almost didn't watch the video when it first started it but his introduction was good in letting me know that it was what I had been searching for; out of battery conditions for different popular handguns. It had the Walther CCP M2, the handgun that I was considering for my CCW, in the line-up. As part of my decision on which handgun to use for CCW I wanted to know if some low life meth head jumps me and a life and death struggle starts that my handgun will not be useless if it's pressed into his rib cage. Others may want to know how their choice of CCW needs to be treated in this situation. If it's one that he demonstrates you'll see his result, if not you may want to do your own tests. One of my older friends carries a Glock 43 and said that he had never considered this and thanked me for sharing the link. So I thought others might also appreciate it.

Last edited:

transfixer

True , those scenarios are probably few and far between, I'm sure most of us would never let an aggressor get that close to us , if we have a choice, I would guess its more likely to happen when approached from behind, and probably more likely if a male is attacking a female from behind.

When I was teaching my ex-wife how to shoot, I told her if approached always keep one arm out to try and fend off an attacker, if they ever got to that arms length to start pulling the trigger and don't stop till they do. That came up because her concern of getting her gun taken away from her,

I never thought much about the "out of battery" problem till I had an undercover officer tell me the reason he carried a hammerless snub nosed .357 was for that very same reason, his concern was being seated in a car, next to a potential bad guy, in such close quarters a pistol wasn't as good a choice as a revolver.

transfixer

Situations like those in the video and others mentioned are good to keep in mind, the most important thing is have confidence in whatever you carry, confidence that you can hit what you need to with it, and that it will work when you need it to, all the rest depends on your awareness of the situation you're in, which is first and foremost !

Robert28

True , those scenarios are probably few and far between, I'm sure most of us would never let an aggressor get that close to us , if we have a choice, I would guess its more likely to happen when approached from behind, and probably more likely if a male is attacking a female from behind.

When I was teaching my ex-wife how to shoot, I told her if approached always keep one arm out to try and fend off an attacker, if they ever got to that arms length to start pulling the trigger and don't stop till they do. That came up because her concern of getting her gun taken away from her,

I never thought much about the "out of battery" problem till I had an undercover officer tell me the reason he carried a hammerless snub nosed .357 was for that very same reason, his concern was being seated in a car, next to a potential bad guy, in such close quarters a pistol wasn't as good a choice as a revolver.
Best thing for your wife or anyone that sees a potential threat approaching is to start backing up. Even when firing on your attacker you want to do so as you're backing up because many times your attacker is on an adreneline rush or worse, on some serious drugs, and even when shot they can still get you and do some serious harm to you with bullet holes in them. The serious ones are going to charge you as soon as you pull that gun so you better start backing up to put as much distance as you can between you and them.

Knotwild

If I hear something suspicious, I prefer my AR 45 pistol, or a Remington TAC 14. I feel safe then.

BriarPatch99

I carry a Glock 31 in 357 SIG .... a 15(16 really) round .357 Magnum .... in cooler weather ....

Shorts ...hot weather ....I carry a LCP Ruger That I practice regularly with ...

Normally I practice with both about once a week ....but been sidelined with surgery .... time to get back at it ....

SakoL61R

One thing for certain.....those Sig P365 pistols have become hugely popular since this thread began.

Makes sense, too.

Yep, my tried and true gen1 G23 now plays 2nd fiddle to a P365 as of a couple weeks ago.
Fits, carries, and shoots nicely. Manual ambi safety as well.

nmurph

I'm thinking of buying a a North American Arms Folding Holster in 22 Magnum for my everyday pocket gun. I'm in and out of my vehicle constantly, usually wearing dress clothes which means I can't carry iwb which I find to be very uncomfortable in the first place. My 380 in the pocket is okay most of the time but it's a little bulky and heavy.

Last edited:

sleepr71

That’s my daily NMurph. Definitely the easiest thing I’ve found to conceal. 5 shots of 22 mag(vs no firearm)gives me some comfort..especially with how LOUD it is ?As long as you have a wasteband to hang it on & shirt to drape over...it is invisible. Well,they may see the tab...but won’t know it’s not a Leatherman tool,etc.

BeefMaster

I alternate between appendix carrying a model 30 (45 apc), model 27 (40short and weak), model 43 Glock(9mm),or Smith and Wesson 360pd (357 mag)depending on clothing. Every once in a while I small of the back carry a Smith 329 PD (44) with hand rolled 240 grain Gold Dots. I’m comfortable will all of them but the 43 is the easiest to get around with.

Last edited:

Dub

I carry a Glock 31 in 357 SIG .... a 15(16 really) round .357 Magnum .... in cooler weather ....

Shorts ...hot weather ....I carry a LCP Ruger That I practice regularly with ...

Normally I practice with both about once a week ....but been sidelined with surgery .... time to get back at it ....

I hope everything is going well on your recovery.

Seems like the last few years I've been a repeat offender of those fun recoveries, too. Dang sure screwed up my hunting.

Get well and get after it. (y)

I've always been curious about the .357Sig round.

Looks like it would be a great feeding round.

Do you find you have to trim the brass very often ?

G19 the last couple days here while working outside.

rosewood

That’s my daily NMurph. Definitely the easiest thing I’ve found to conceal. 5 shots of 22 mag(vs no firearm)gives me some comfort..especially with how LOUD it is ?As long as you have a wasteband to hang it on & shirt to drape over...it is invisible. Well,they may see the tab...but won’t know it’s not a Leatherman tool,etc.

I carried one of these for probably 20 years in my front pocket. Mine has the leather holster with the pocket clip. I did carry it in my appendix for awhile before I developed "dunlap" disease, then I moved it to my pocket. I picked up a LCP a few years back and it has become my pocket gun. I have one of the remora grip holsters for the LCP and it stays put in my pocket when you need to pull the gun out.

The NAA is what I call a "get off me gun". If someone jumps on you, you pull it out and stick to their body and pull the trigger. They will get off.

I do however recommend carrying nickel plated 22 mags. I believe the Hornady Critical defense is nickel. I took mine out to clean several years ago and found the brass rounds had a lot of green corrosion on it from being carried in a sweaty pocket. The Nickel brass solved that.

Rosewood