Thoughts on the selection of a handgun for self defense

Joe EC

Sweet!
Never been a fan of the Glock or other striker fired for that matter. For me I really don't like the trigger or the thought of going into combat with tupperwear on my hip. Although I do shoot them well.
Lot's of folks really like them. Confidence is a big factor when the stuff gets real. As long as the bad guy loses I'm all in for whatever folks carry. Just be sure the bad guy is going to lose.

I really like the sights. I am about to put a set of Truglo TXF on my wife's Walther CCP. They stand out pretty well also.

killerv

I shoot my shield 9 way better than my glock 19. Almost feels like I'm showing off. My wife limpwrists the heck out of her g42, she's carrying something else now. She shot my 642 once...and handed it right back.

Reactions: Dub

normaldave

GON Weatherman
You folks mentioned the M&P Shield 40, for you folks that like the .40 S&W, what are your thoughts on this one? I recognize the .40 is not as popular as the 9MM, but I seldom follow the herd, and at this price, I could learn to like it.
M&P Shield 40 FDE

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
You folks mentioned the M&P Shield 40, for you folks that like the .40 S&W, what are your thoughts on this one? I recognize the .40 is not as popular as the 9MM, but I seldom follow the herd, and at this price, I could learn to like it.
M&P Shield 40 FDE
Its what I carry most of the time. It feels and shoots great. I bought one when they 1st came out and paid $400 for mine. Thats a great deal !

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Thank you sir.

Dub

Sweet!
Never been a fan of the Glock or other striker fired for that matter. For me I really don't like the trigger or the thought of going into combat with tupperwear on my hip. Although I do shoot them well.
Lot's of folks really like them. Confidence is a big factor when the stuff gets real. As long as the bad guy loses I'm all in for whatever folks carry. Just be sure the bad guy is going to lose.

I really like the sights. I am about to put a set of Truglo TXF on my wife's Walther CCP. They stand out pretty well also.

I've been fortunate....never needed a handgun for anything other than dispatching charging hogs and aggressive moccasins.

In the hog situations, I can say that I was glad to have the extra rounds that a double stack magazine provided, lol. My hits on target percentage was severely lacking.

I can only imagine the want for more rounds in a real deal situation.

I shoot my shield 9 way better than my glock 19. Almost feels like I'm showing off. My wife limpwrists the heck out of her g42, she's carrying something else now. She shot my 642 once...and handed it right back.

I understand what you mean. Those Shields set up a bit different than the Glocks. A lot of folks love 'em. It's all about what you have confidence in. Confidence comes from shooting well. (y)

ScottD

Wow, lots of good information here. I am 53 years old. When I turned 21 I was so excited to go get my permit to carry. ( I could drink at 18). I think you will find several handguns over your lifetime that will be you carry favorites. I have carried a Star PD.45, 38 special revolver, MP shield 9mm, 1911 .45. I even have a much carried Kel-tec 32ACP that I carry hiking. (8 oz). So you make sure you can shoot them all, that they all are reliable and carry well. In 32 years I have never had to "clear leather" in a real sense. Chances are you won't either. There have been many times where carrying brought great comfort in situations. I have had a few close calls, a few false clearings of my house, (came home and the front door was wide open). My wife once woke me at 5am and said there was a man coming in the back door. I grabbed my 38 and went to the back door which was wide open. All I can remember is how bad I wanted my 1911 .45 at that moment. Many "bumps" in the night have caused me to take a look around the house. Once , in a dog attack, I reached for my weapon and it wasn't there, lesson learned. (left on the front seat of the truck) I have twice had run ins with vagrants in dark parking lots, didnt need it but I was ready. Once I laid my pistol across my lap when someone approached my car door at a light. (trying to sell car detailing work). I could tell from the look that he decided that was a bad idea. I answered a knock at the door one night at about 9pm with a .45 much to the surprise of the kid selling AJC papers. I suggested to him is was too late to be knocking on doors. He agreed.

I pray I never need a handgun, but I have several, always at least one. Find your one and start with that. Stay calm, practice a lot, be persistent to carry, mostly be aware. It is comforting to have, my family even enjoys the comfort and have continued the practice at their own homes. My wife finds comfort knowing she is protected at all times. It is a way of life.

KentuckyHeadhunter

To answer that I've put 350 through it so far without a single hiccup. The gun is pure ninja and almost too good to be true. You must learn to keep your back thumb (grip hand) away from the slide or you will cause the slide not to lock back. I now lay my thumb over the large rear knuckle of my support hand instead of against the frame. I don't like the pinkie extensions on any of my small guns. They shoot just the same and you don't compromise size. I highly recommend the Sig. But the G29 is just plain awesome and I like it even more. It retired my G23 to the nightstand.

Last edited:

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
To answer that I've put 350 through it so far without a single hiccup. The gun is pure ninja and almost too good to be true. You must learn to keep your back thumb (grip hand) away from the slide or you will cause the slide not to lock back. I now lay my thumb over the large rear knuckle of my support hand instead of against the frame. I don't like the pinkie extensions on any of my small guns. They shoot just the same and you don't compromise size. I highly recommend the Sig. But the G29 is just plain awesome and I like it even more. It retired my G23 to the nightstand.
Thanks! After the 1st of the year I’m either buying the 365 or the Glock 43

rosewood

M&P Shield 40 FDE
For carry, the 40 is my favorite round. I have a shield, picked it up lightly used for $275. Guy said he bought it for his wife and she didn't like it. Suspect the recoil was too much for her. It is a bit stout being such a light gun.

Anyhoo, I was getting ready to sell mine because the grip was just too narrow for my hands. Decided to try the gun specific Hogue wrap around grip for it and couldn't be happier. It took some shoe horning to get it on, the instructions said it would be difficult and they were right. Once it is on, it stays put and made the grip just wide enough for me. I carry it a lot.

I also added Truglo TFO sights to it. Picked them up on Fleabay for like $75.

For some reason, the front sight is excessively tight on the Shields. When I first got it, I couldn't drift it to zero, it was shooting a little left. You could tell the front sight was not centered. Took to gunsmith, they couldn't get it to move said would have to cut out. So I called S&W, they had me send it in and they done something so I could drift it. S&W paid shipping both ways. Was still hard getting it out when I put the TFOs on it.

Rosewood

Dub

For carry, the 40 is my favorite round. I have a shield, picked it up lightly used for $275. Guy said he bought it for his wife and she didn't like it. Suspect the recoil was too much for her. It is a bit stout being such a light gun.

Anyhoo, I was getting ready to sell mine because the grip was just too narrow for my hands. Decided to try the gun specific Hogue wrap around grip for it and couldn't be happier. It took some shoe horning to get it on, the instructions said it would be difficult and they were right. Once it is on, it stays put and made the grip just wide enough for me. I carry it a lot.

I also added Truglo TFO sights to it. Picked them up on Fleabay for like $75.

For some reason, the front sight is excessively tight on the Shields. When I first got it, I couldn't drift it to zero, it was shooting a little left. You could tell the front sight was not centered. Took to gunsmith, they couldn't get it to move said would have to cut out. So I called S&W, they had me send it in and they done something so I could drift it. S&W paid shipping both ways. Was still hard getting it out when I put the TFOs on it.

Rosewood

I have the TFO sights on a P226 and have been impressed with them. Very bright.

Darkhorse

M&P Shield 40 FDE
I have a M&P C in .40 S&W that's been absolutely reliable. My main practice load is Unique behind 180 grain Rainer HP's. I've put a couple thousand rounds of different types of .40 ammo and this pistol has not jammed, stovepiped, or anything. Clean or dirty seems to make no difference.
I put a set of Ameriglo Pro I dot sights on it years ago and that big glowing front sight really helps these older eyes.
Trigger is stock but all components are well polished. With all the polishing and shooting the trigger pull is about a pound less than new and smooth all the way through the shot.
I went from a 9mm to the .40, with all my years of shooting magnum revolvers I never anticipated a problem with the .40 but I was wrong. In the compact size with hot loads the pistol would twist in my hand and get real loose. But I really trained hard with this gun and now I shoot it real well.
I never bought into the current internet opinions that the 9mm is the better cartridge than a .40 S&W for self defense. I still haven't and never will. As long as one can handle the weapon with some degree of accuracy.
I bought a couple of steel plate targets that mount to a frame with chains and swing freely. The one I shoot the most is 4" in diameter. I have shot it with .22LR, 38 SPL, and with my .40 cal. flintlock. Then one day I was shooting it with my single six and decided to try my .40 on it. That 180 grain Rayonier flipped that steel plate completely over the frame. I was impressed. I don't want to be shot with one that's for sure.

280 Man

Banned
I owned the Shield 40 cal a couple years ago and it wasn't for me. However, I just picked up a spanking new M&P Shield 9mm for 254 out the door. Ive put a couple hundred rounds through it and no issues. I really like this 9mm and it'll be my primary carry weapon.

transfixer

I had a Shield 9mm for a short while, I liked the way it felt in my hand, and it was very thin, easy to carry in a iwb holster, I never could get used to that dis-jointed trigger though, just felt weird to me, like it was broken or something, lol , mine was a non safety model, ended up getting rid of it, my xds9 fills that spot now.

GAJoe

My wife got me a Walther CCP M2 for Christmas at my request after researching for CCW. In my research I found this "Handgun Out of Battery Roundup" on YouTube. I knew the 1911 could fall victim to it. My Dad gave me a Colt Commander and showed me the move to take it out of battery and cautioned me if using it within arms reach of the perp. This video showed a couple of popular brands being taken out of battery if pressed into the opponent. It may be unavoidable in some struggles. You might want to consider watching this before putting money down.

Balrog

I think what he was doing in this video was unsafe, and in the end, all he did was prove something that was basically already known.

He would be better off trading his gun for a dumb bell, a pair of Nikes, and a salad.

Dub

I think what he was doing in this video was unsafe, and in the end, all he did was prove something that was basically already known.

He would be better off trading his gun for a dumb bell, a pair of Nikes, and a salad.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Latest posts