Concealed carry choices

JR924

I know nothing about this gun but it took a short search and there was a discussion of a half cock safety and safety lever on the left side. I’ve never held one but would do some research and see if the gun functioning normally.
Ruger#3, thanks for the information. The gun has a half cocked position. Would make it easier to cock the hammer while drawing this. With alot of practice, I believe I can cock the hammer as I pull and point the gun and not be much slower that if I practice with a double action. Very easy to thumb that hammer. I will take a good gun self defense class and discuss with my instructor; maybe I will change how I carry it. I will retire the gun to the safe when I get a good double action gun that I like. How you handle the violence and stress during an actual situation (hard to train on that) will determine the success/failure of your training and if your logic is flawed. Remember you have several severe outcomes when you carry and use a gun, you get killed or wounded, you kill or wound the thug, you shoot yourself, you kill or wound an innocent, and/or you go to prison and get sued in civil court. Hope I don't find out..

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Assume you would have the single action safety on. I do agree now with the round in the chamber, but in practicing fast draw, it was easier with this gun to cock it rather than take if off safety. That is how I will train with it. Anyway this white and black discussion that a person will get in a fast draw shootout with a fast trained thug (knife or gun) is unlikely although I agree with practicing for it. I lived and/or worked in 5 major Midwest cities and then 30 years working in bad areas of Atlanta. Of the 6 times I remember of discussing experiences with coworkers in Detroit, Atlanta and Indy was just showing a gun to stop the threat. I even faked a gun (dumb move I agree) in 2 occasions to stop a threat. I was told to act like GBI when I was in the Atlanta housing projects. I guess it depends on how fast your fast reasoning is (hard to train) then how fast reaction time is to respond appropriately against a perceived threat. I don't want to be dead or go to prison. I agree you may not have the luxury of time to see the weapon first. I think realistically training in hand to hand self defense would be prudent if someone is concerned about self defense so you cover more threat scenarios just in case you are close and don't have time to pull gun. Anyway you have convinced me to buy a double action and keep a round in the chamber. I want to retire my Beretta 1934 to the safe and only shoot occasionally for fun so it lasts. I like the Beretta tomcat 32 acp with Buffalo Bore ammo. Just cannot afford so the Beretta 1934 is all I have. Shotgun will be under my bed. Thanks for the advice.
Yes, if it has a safety, it's on. The only pistol with an external safety I carry sometimes is a Ruger LC9, and the safety is right under your thumb when you grab it, comes off in half a second. Most of the time, I'm carrying a Glock 23 with no external, manual safety. But it will not go off unless you actually pull the trigger.

As for time, look up the 21-foot rule. That's how far away from you somebody can be with a knife and still get you before you can get your gun out and shoot, and that's with it cocked and locked. I thought it sounded off, but the instructor in a handgun defense class I took demonstrated it in real life. He gave us plastic pistols, and another guy a plastic knife at 21 feet apart from each other. The majority of us got stabbed.

One more thought-I'm not a fan at all of showing a gun for a deterrent. If you pull a gun, you'd better be prepared and willing to use it.

transfixer

Ruger#3, thanks for the information. The gun has a half cocked position. Would make it easier to cock the hammer while drawing this. With alot of practice, I believe I can cock the hammer as I pull and point the gun and not be much slower that if I practice with a double action. Very easy to thumb that hammer. I will take a good gun self defense class and discuss with my instructor; maybe I will change how I carry it. I will retire the gun to the safe when I get a good double action gun that I like. How you handle the violence and stress during an actual situation (hard to train on that) will determine the success/failure of your training and if your logic is flawed. Remember you have several severe outcomes when you carry and use a gun, you get killed or wounded, you kill or wound the thug, you shoot yourself, you kill or wound an innocent, and/or you go to prison and get sued in civil court. Hope I don't find out..

up in your neck of the woods is the Firearms training Academy/ Triple Hex firearms, they have training classes available there, and after you've taken one with whichever pistol you decide on, take the Beginner level virtual training class, its very eye opening ! and very realistic, you can look it up online .

Jester896

Senior Clown
i would imagine a SEAL taking the knife from the attacker...I know a USMC MGySgt is able to do so.

JR924

Sorry Jester, took down my post; too long winded with many tangents from original thread. Thanks for the reply.

transfixer

There is also a guy based in your area, that is a former Army Ranger, and does various training classes all across the country , and has other instructors that work with him, Warrior Poet on youtube, his name is John Lovell, and one of the guys who work with him is a guy named Paul, also local to the area, and is some sort of former special unit soldier, anyone associated with them will be well qualified , I don't know how often they do training classes locally, but you could contact them and find out,