Concealed carry choices

JR924

Reluctantly decided to buy a concealed carry gun. Going to apply from my concealed carry permit. More want the gun as a deterrent against a hothead than to shoot somebody. I probably will carry the gun when I walk at night in my pocket. Problem is I wear cotton gym shorts and tee shirts 95% of the time even when it gets cold. If I put a cell phone in my pocket, my pants start falling down so the gun needs to be light. I can cinch up some but want something small and light. Thinking a holster will be hard to hide and uncomfortable. Was thinking of a pocket gun like the Baretta Tomcat (Buffalo Bore has some nice 32 acp defense rounds) or similar 380 acp gun. Think 9 mm or larger will be too big of gun. I really like revolvers but would be too bulky. I saw this article and the guns mentioned looked interesting. https://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/2015/03/10/5-best-pocket-carry-handguns/ What are your suggestions of guns and ways to carry it to try at the gun store?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
The Ruger LC9 or LCP Max are easily hidden in an IWB even while wearing gym shorts. For many years I carried a G26 during summer wearing sports shorts.
The pockets in gym type shorts are too loose in my opinion to relaibly draw a pistol. If the pockets are deep enough they and the outside material come with the gun when using a pocket holster designed to grip the material and stay in the pocket when the gun is drawn. It all comes out together in a tangled bunch. If no holster is used the pistol is outlined and easily seen and the pistol will turn one way or the other when walking and really have the inner material bunched around the gun. Plus a ready to rock pistol with nothing covering the trigger is a disaster waiting to happen. An IWB holster is the absolute way to go.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Just choose the weapon that you like. There are a bunch out there that will fit the bill including the S&W 5 shot revolvers and some of those are so light that you will be amazed. Holster options exist to hide nearly anything nearly anywhere. For example:

iu

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The Ruger LC9 or LCP Max are easily hidden in an IWB even while wearing gym shorts. For many years I carried a G26 during summer wearing sports shorts.
The pockets in gym type shorts are too loose in my opinion to relaibly draw a pistol. If the pockets are deep enough they and the outside material come with the gun when using a pocket holster designed to grip the material and stay in the pocket when the gun is drawn. It all comes out together in a tangled bunch. If no holster is used the pistol is outlined and easily seen and the pistol will turn one way or the other when walking and really have the inner material bunched around the gun. Plus a ready to rock pistol with nothing covering the trigger is a disaster waiting to happen. An IWB holster is the absolute way to go.
Yep. I carry a Glock 23 every day. But, if I need to carry with minimal clothing, like walking down the beach after dark in swimming trunks and a tshirt, it's the Ruger LC9 in a neoprene IWB. Pocket carry just doesn't work most times. Especially with lightweight shorts.

Tight Lines

Agree with the above...

Personally I have a couple of different weapons (may not work for you) that I carry depending on what I am wearing and how I feel...

Minimal in shorts, Ruger LCP in a IWB holster...
Pants, Glock 43...or Sig P365...
OWB, Beretta 92A1 or Glock or Ruger SBH or Ruger SS...

I don't have any really "nice" handguns like @Dub as they are all carry weapons i.e. tools so I don't care if they get scratched, dropped, etc. as they are tools...

The Ruger gets carried the most because I wear shorts and flip flops as long and as much as I can...it sucks to shoot but it does what it needs to...

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

While your out walking like that you can wear you a fanny pack. They make special ones with a holster in it. It will hold your cell phone too. I tote a LC9 or my .38 S&W bodyguard in mine when I walk down the road before light. It will work anywhere, I just don't wanna be seen wearing one.
Comfort_Tac_Ultimate_Fanny_Pack_Holster_MLP_1450x1500_e41766ee-708c-486e-b160-d2e9a9c4f7b0_110x110@2x.jpg

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Maybe wear shorts that have belt loops and wear a belt??? Then you can carry nearly anything you choose...

Not trying to be difficult here, but "reluctantly" buying and carrying a gun, and then requiring that you can carry it in gym shorts is not a very solid defense plan.

Any gun small enough for your "requirements" will be difficult to shoot well, hard to get to, and not very impressive as the "deterrent" you mentioned...

I say if you are gonna carry, get a real gun, and start dressing to carry it safely, accessibly, and with confidence.

Also train with your gun until using it is thoughtless, and go read every word at corneredcat.com.

Again, not trying to be ugly, just offering a different but experienced opinion.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I’ve been carrying my Ruger LCP 380 every day for many years in my front pocket. Thankfully I’ve never had to use it.
View attachment 1181438
I've had an LCP Max in my front pocket since Spring. Now that winter is close here in Pa I will carry a G26 at 4oclock and still keep the Max in my front pocket.
20221007_220759.jpg

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
The "pocket" guns and holsters work well in cargo type shorts where the pockets are a little roomier and the material keeps the outline of the gun hidden.
Just keep EVERYTHING else out of the pocket you are carrying the gun in.

Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
if your gun is a deterrent against hot heads it isn't concealed...you no longer need a permit to carry openly in GA.

good luck finding a carry weapon that when loaded is lighter than you cell phone

SC Hunter

I personally dress around my pistol of the day not the other way around. Tomorrow for example we're taking the oldest boy and his girlfriend to eat lunch for his birthday. I'll carry a glock 19 appendix IWB wearing some redhead beach comber shorts and a button up type shirt or a looseish fitting t shirt. We'll be going to Columbus so I'll have more than what my glock 43 holds with me.

Dub

My two cents:

Sig P365

Crossbreed Holsters-get their belly band and then order the kydex shell holster for the P365 and one for spare mag carrier.

You wrap the belly band around your waist. The holster is Velcro backed and will adhere to the belly band.

Then you get dressed.

You don’t need a pocket, no belt, no nothing.

Simply put your clothes on over the belly band.

Infinite positions you can wear it….whatever is most comfortable and concealing to you.

The P365 is 9mm. There have been a pile of quality self defense loads made for 9mm.

Personally 9mm & .38spcl is as small as I will carry. I simply am not confident in anything smaller…..and prefer .45acp.

If you ever need that gun you are in a bad way….your worst day scenario. Make sure you have lots of range time with it and can operate it and recover from jams, mag issues, etc.
If you ever need it…..you won’t have time to piddle around.

Also……ALWAYS carry a spare mag that is easy to get to.

It is not uncommon for people under stress to hit the mag release button during a draw-presentation. Now you have a single shot…..unless you have a fresh mag to quickly slip in the gun. Doubtful you will have time to look around on the ground to get to it…..just have a spare onboard.

Lastly, then I will shut up……..get some training.
It can be very low key and one on one.
Call a nearby range and ask them about instructors they can recommend.

They won’t put you on a dud. An initial lesson and then a follow up or two and some monthly range trips and you will be much more competent and safe.