Concealed carry choices

treemanjohn

Banned
Carry what you're proficient with. Personally I would never carry a handgun without 1500 rounds shot with no failures of any kind. My daily is a Glock 20

GunnSmokeer

...my plan is to get a Ruger LCP for conceal carry, a Kal Tec 22 mag pistol for my wife's night stand and a SW C&R 38 military or police trade in for my night stand. I just want a pistol like Adam 12 hardware. O yeah, a Mossberg 12 gauge with a bayonet under my bed. Thanks for help.
My pocket carry / deep concealed-carry pistol is a KelTec P3AT, which is about the same size as the Ruger LCP. Now, are you talking the first-generation LCP (double action only trigger, like my KelTec has) or are you considering the LCP II, which has basically a single-action trigger (very light, but I think no longer suitable for pocket carry due to safety concerns)?

Does the LCP have an option for mounting a laser sight module on it? I have a red laser clamped around the trigger guard of my P3AT and it is very good, making up for the pathetic "sights" the gun came with. Without the laser, I'd say my .380 was a point-only (no-aiming) belly gun good for spitting distance, not beyond. The laser extends its effective range to maybe 50 feet or about 17 yards.

GunnSmokeer

... My brother is against autos for his wife and she has a 38 special revolver.

...my plan is to get a ....SW C&R 38 military or police trade in for my night stand.
I just want a pistol like Adam 12 hardware.

If you really like the old classic looking guns, a medium-framed S&W or even a Colt police revolver isn't a bad choice. If that's what floats your boat and what you like, chances are you'll practice with it more and therefore be better, and faster, shooting it in some future emergency situation. But if you thought you'd also enjoy old military & police style autoloaders, I think a 9mm semi-auto pistol that holds 8, 9, or even 12-13 rounds would be better.

But six shots of modern .38 special +P with hollowpoint bullets is nothing to sneeze at.

GunnSmokeer

Among old "Adam-12" style police revolvers that look like they came out of a time warp from the 1960s,

I'd go with the S&W model 13, which is a K-frame (medium sized) all-steel blued steel revolver in .357 magnum. The greater effectiveness of this cartridge over a .38 special, even +P specials, is well-documented.

1670176430696.png

Dub

Among old "Adam-12" style police revolvers that look like they came out of a time warp from the 1960s,

I'd go with the S&W model 13, which is a K-frame (medium sized) all-steel blued steel revolver in .357 magnum. The greater effectiveness of this cartridge over a .38 special, even +P specials, is well-documented.

View attachment 1194283

Cool.

Now...what is the plan to carry it concealed ?

JR924

Ok, posted on another thread of the pistol I got. It is a 1934 Beretta in 380 acp and is a single action. Just wondering if you carry it with a round not in the chamber or a round in the chamber but not cocked. I plan to carry it with a round not in the chamber and practice drawing it. Thinking the gun could go off if I drop it or my finger could slip cocking it in my pocket. What do you guys do in different low to high threat scenarios? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited:

SC Hunter

Ok, posted on another thread of the pistol I got. It is a 1934 Beretta in 380 acp and is a single action. Just wondering if you carry it with a round not in the chamber or a round in the chamber but not cocked. I plan to carry it with a round not in the chamber and practice drawing it. Thinking the gun could go off if I drop it or my finger could slip cocking it in my pocket. What do you guys do in different low to high threat scenarios? Thanks in advance for any replies.
I won't carry a gun I can't carry with one in the chamber and ready to go. That's just me and my personal opinion.

Robert28

I won't carry a gun I can't carry with one in the chamber and ready to go. That's just me and my personal opinion.
I used to be of the mindset that it didn’t matter if I carried with one in the chamber or not. Then I took an advanced class for CWP (you can only take it once you have your CWP). They had in a couple cops showing videos they show their rookies at the academy. One I’ll always remember that changed my mind forever was a video of how fast a guy closed with a knife. I thought “there’s no way I could get my gun out, rack one and shoot to defend myself in the 1.5 seconds it took him to come at me.” The thing is he never showed a knife, just seemed like a normal guy until he pulled that knife and closed that distance as fast as he did. My reflexes aren’t what they used to be and I would struggle to even get a LOADED gun out in time, not to mention if I had to do that extra step of racking the slide I’d be stabbed twice already by the time I got around to it. So yeah, mine are loaded and screw a safety on a carry gun unless it’s a 1911. I’ll never forget that video.

rosewood

I do understand the nostalgia and draw of carrying a historical firearm. However, the need for the right tool is far more important than nostalgia when it comes to life or death. There are far more modern tools that do the job and do it well rather than making compromises.

Carry a gun that you can carry safely and comfortably, shoot well, feel confident with and can deploy as quickly as possible. The bad guys aren't gonna wait for you to get ready. Splits seconds count.

Rosewood

transfixer

Absolutely no way I'd carry with an empty chamber, I'm not familiar with that pistol, as to how the safety/trigger is configured, but if I were carrying a single action I would want to be able to carry it already cocked with a safety that is easily and quickly disengaged with my thumb upon my hand grasping the pistol.

I switched to striker fired pistols years ago for a multitude of reasons, one being generally no safety to deal with, as most are integrated into the trigger, I've taken a class similar to what Robert28 described, and its very eye opening as to how quickly someone can close on you if they choose to, or how quickly they can present a weapon if they're already close to you, its a matter of split seconds, no time to be racking slides or cocking hammers

SC Hunter

I used to be of the mindset that it didn’t matter if I carried with one in the chamber or not. Then I took an advanced class for CWP (you can only take it once you have your CWP). They had in a couple cops showing videos they show their rookies at the academy. One I’ll always remember that changed my mind forever was a video of how fast a guy closed with a knife. I thought “there’s no way I could get my gun out, rack one and shoot to defend myself in the 1.5 seconds it took him to come at me.” The thing is he never showed a knife, just seemed like a normal guy until he pulled that knife and closed that distance as fast as he did. My reflexes aren’t what they used to be and I would struggle to even get a LOADED gun out in time, not to mention if I had to do that extra step of racking the slide I’d be stabbed twice already by the time I got around to it. So yeah, mine are loaded and screw a safety on a carry gun unless it’s a 1911. I’ll never forget that video.
I've taken several ECQC (extreme close quarters combat) classes and I don't want any part of a pistol not being loaded and ready to go. I want no part of somebody coming at me with a knife either, wanna know how to win a knife fight without getting cut?? RUN lol

Robert28

I've taken several ECQC (extreme close quarters combat) classes and I don't want any part of a pistol not being loaded and ready to go. I want no part of somebody coming at me with a knife either, wanna know how to win a knife fight without getting cut?? RUN lol
In the class I took they said most people don’t think about all the scenarios they might have to defend themselves. It won’t always be an active shooter who starts shooting at other people, allowing you time to get your gun and find cover. Most times it will be an attack you never even expect that happens at a place you never expect. Made me think about what I carry and how I carry.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You might as well not have a gun as to carry one that isn't ready to rock and roll. It is now an inefficient club that will likely get you killed when you pull it. When I have a pistol on me (which is pretty much always,) it has one in the chamber and it's cocked.

JR924

You might as well not have a gun as to carry one that isn't ready to rock and roll. It is now an inefficient club that will likely get you killed when you pull it. When I have a pistol on me (which is pretty much always,) it has one in the chamber and it's cocked.

Assume you would have the single action safety on. I do agree now with the round in the chamber, but in practicing fast draw, it was easier with this gun to cock it rather than take if off safety. That is how I will train with it. Anyway this white and black discussion that a person will get in a fast draw shootout with a fast trained thug (knife or gun) is unlikely although I agree with practicing for it. I lived and/or worked in 5 major Midwest cities and then 30 years working in bad areas of Atlanta. Of the 6 times I remember of discussing experiences with coworkers in Detroit, Atlanta and Indy was just showing a gun to stop the threat. I even faked a gun (dumb move I agree) in 2 occasions to stop a threat. I was told to act like GBI when I was in the Atlanta housing projects. I guess it depends on how fast your fast reasoning is (hard to train) then how fast reaction time is to respond appropriately against a perceived threat. I don't want to be dead or go to prison. I agree you may not have the luxury of time to see the weapon first. I think realistically training in hand to hand self defense would be prudent if someone is concerned about self defense so you cover more threat scenarios just in case you are close and don't have time to pull gun. Anyway you have convinced me to buy a double action and keep a round in the chamber. I want to retire my Beretta 1934 to the safe and only shoot occasionally for fun so it lasts. I like the Beretta tomcat 32 acp with Buffalo Bore ammo. Just cannot afford so the Beretta 1934 is all I have. Shotgun will be under my bed. Thanks for the advice.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Anyway you have convinced me to buy a double action and keep a round in the chamber. I want to retire my Beretta 1934 to the safe and only shoot occasionally for fun so it lasts. I like the Beretta tomcat 32 acp with Buffalo Bore ammo. Just cannot afford so the Beretta 1934 is all I have. Shotgun will be under my bed. Thanks for the advice.
There are plenty of solid, name brand 9mm's out there designed for concealed carry and available at a much more affordable price point (<$300). Just got to keep an eye out for them.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I know nothing about this gun but it took a short search and there was a discussion of a half cock safety and safety lever on the left side. I’ve never held one but would do some research and see if the gun functioning normally.