AR for first deer rifle?

o2bfishin

My 9 year old son loves to shoot and has expressed interest in deer hunting next year. Currently he shoots a savage rascal 22. My plan is to get him a rifle, get comfortable shooting it over the next few months and be ready to deer hunt next fall. Initially I was leaning to a savage or weatherby compact (youth) in 350 legend -both have adjustable length of pulls- but it's still just a bit long for him. I've deer hunted all my life but have little AR knowledge. What would you recommend between an AR in 300 blackout, 6.5 grendel, or 350 legend? Biggest point being most comfortable regarding recoil and noise to develop good shooting habits. Or, buy an inexpensive compact bolt and cut the stock down to needed lop?

Last edited:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
There are youth sized offerings from Ruger (American) and Savage (Axis)

I have both, and my Grand boys love em. I suggest the .350L wholeheartedly. It is a hammer out to 100 yards.

And kicks like a .223, with not so sharp a report. The boys will shoot all I'll let them.

I also have a .350L AR, and that would work well too.

kayaksteve

I’d get him a good 243, 6mm, 350 in bolt or lever. But that’s just cause I like a little more traditional gun for hunting. Nothing wrong with the AR though. Even a youth model or cut down he could use well into adulthood or replace the stock later on.

o2bfishin

There are youth sized offerings from Ruger (American) and Savage (Axis)

I have both, and my Grand boys love em. I suggest the .350L wholeheartedly. It is a hammer out to 100 yards.

And kicks like a .223, with not so sharp a report. The boys will shoot all I'll let them.

I also have a .350L AR, and that would work well too.

The l.o.p. on the youth models are still a bit long for him. Is the AR much louder than the bolt guns? He's more concerned with that over recoil.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
The l.o.p. on the youth models are still a bit long for him. Is the AR much louder than the bolt guns? He's more concerned with that over recoil.

No, it's not. The .350's report, is a bit more of a "whoosh" than a "crack" if that makes sense.

Maybe way off base, but I attribute that to the bore size being larger, with roughly the same charge behind it.

Recoil on the .350 is also more of a shove than a punch.

I did remove the brake from the AR, and put a plain thread protector on it, to cut the blast a bit.

The .350L is what both my grands started with, and I like it too.

TurkeyBluff

BANNED, Again
I would get him a complete side charging ar and a new side charging upper for his birthday every year after.

Tons of choices and lots of cool offerings.

menhadenman

I have 8, 10, and 12 year olds. While they love the AR, we generally hunt with a bolt gun. It’s easier to operate and clean for kids. We have “compact” Savages/Ruger/Howa bolt rifles in 223, 243, and 6.5 G that get the job done nicely.

But we also have 300 Blackout and 6.5G in ARs. I like the 300 with 125 gr bullets for shorter range stuff (<50 yds) and the 6.5G beyond that. Both suppressed too.

You’ve got plenty of options that’ll work well but another thing worth considering is ammo cost/availability since trigger time is really important for youngsters.

Good luck

buckpasser

Second vote for Grendel, or almost any AR. You simply can’t beat the adjustable stock, the near zero recoil, and the light weight design of an AR for a kid. Grendel is plenty powerful to roll on with indefinitely, but .300blk is also another great option as it’s only one part (barrel) from being a 556 or .223 again. My daughter and I have been using AR’s for quite a few years now, while my son (10) is too cool for the AR and likes his bolt .243. He started on the blackout and killed well with it.

georgia_home

Several good alternatives presented. I think that building a list of what is in your price range and acceptable would be good.

then take your son to a place that has them … maybe bass pro or someplace similar … and let him choose, with your guidance.

that could serve a couple purposes, not the lease of which is mainly investing him in the process and bonding.

just my opinion

killerv

Both my sons went the AR route for their first couple seasons. It got the job done. I'd personally go with a 223/5.56 and get a good off the shelf hunting bullet like the federal fusion or the winchester deer loads for 223. If 300bo, I'd definitely keep shots 50 yards and in. We've taken deer with the barnes vort-tx in 300bo but I wasnt overly impressed.

If you go the AR route, I'll advise you to put an ambi safety on it plus a magpul bad lever. My son always sits the left of me and I could use the safety and close the bolt if need be from his right.

Personally though, I'd find a compact 708 and be done with it.

basshappy

BANNED
@o2bfishin have you considered a bolt action rifle?

My boy is just 11 and I had spent some time researching different options for him. I would say he is average size 11 year old. I decided on a bolt action chambered in .243 for his first whitetail hunting firearm. He wanted to use a revolver (what I use most of the time) but the .41magnum is too much for him to be 100% steady and accurate just yet, and we work tirelessly on being as near perfect as we can on shot placement to quickly harvest the deer.

The bolt action is simpler to use and clean, and the flush magazine holds 5 cartridges. Being flush has proved to be an advantage as it permits for mire shooting positions and rests if needed.

The .243 has no real felt recoil in his Mossberg Patriot Youth (a compact model) so there is no anticipation, no jump, no closing of eyes.

Good luck with selecting his first hunting instrument and good luck hunting together

Reactions: Dub

longrangedog

Took my grandson when he was age 12 to hunt a box stand in Bartow County. Big 10 had been coming into the small field most days shortly after sunrise and I was confident he would get a shot. Because of the mild recoil I chose my AR15. After we got situated in the box, I locked the bolt to the rear and inserted the magazine. Trying to be quiet, I held the bolt back and eased it closed instead of hitting the release and letting it slam forward. After sunup the buck came in view, and I handed my grandson the rifle and slipped the safety off. The buck walked to within 40 yards when he pulled the trigger. CLICK. Startled the buck and he bounded into a pine thicket. Checked the rifle and found the chamber empty. Salvaged the hunt somewhat by killing a doe later that morning.

• Wow
Reactions: Dub

buckpasser

I guess I can concede that a bolt action would be much preferred for my children once they begin hunting alone. My AR vote was for a parent with child hunt, where all loading/unloading/safety off/on is performed with guidance.