Single Shot Rifle Calibers

rosewood

Do they make and would you be interested in a 30-30 or .35 Rem.?
They would both be more powerful than the 300 Blackout. Less recoil than the 45-70. The Creedmoor uses slower burning powders that may not get a chance to completely burn in the shorter barrel. That would lead to more muzzle flash and a fair amount of velocity loss.
CVA did make the 35 Rem years ago, but it is no longer available and I have only ever seen one in person and I hunt with it. Never seen a 30-30, but H&R did make one of those. Also difficult to find.

Rosewood

Last edited:

rosewood

I know not one of the calibers you mentioned but i got the boy a 7mm-08 scout and he and i both love the gun. Very small and compact and its very accurate and drops them in the spot.
I have 2 of the Hunters in 7mm-08. Bought the second recently with the intent to cut it down to 16.25" just for the purposed the OP mentioned. Haven't ordered the pilot for my crowning tool yet, but it is in my basket at Brownells. I really want another 35 to cut down, but doubt I will ever find one. Hate to cut the 20" one down I have as it shoots so well.

Rosewood

rosewood

You can buy the 300BLK scout with a factory 16.25" barrel already threaded so you wouldn't need to cut it down. Also, mine came as the take down model (i.e., barrel isn't pinned, but removes by taking off the forend with a lever). No real benefit there unless you are backpacking.

Cost wise, the 300BLK is the cheapest round to load for and buy and the most available in the stores. I wouldn't go over about 150 yards with it, but you want it for close woods anyway.

I think a 6.5 NM MB is going to be a lot of flash and muzzle blast in a short barrel you will have to contend with.

.45-70 is the best brush gun, but unless you are casting your own, even the bullets are pricey. Using faster burning powders you can get a good burn in a short barrel.

Rosewood

Reactions: Dub

bullgator

They did make the 35 Rem years ago, but it is no longer available and I have only ever seen one in person and I hunt with it. Never seen a 30-30, but H&R did make one of those. Also difficult to find.

Rosewood
Henry makes a single shot 30-30, but the OP was talking about the CVA. It just seemed like they might.

rosewood

Henry makes a single shot 30-30, but the OP was talking about the CVA. It just seemed like they might.
I wish CVA would make the 30-30, but I have been a CVA fan for about 10 years since the Hunters first hit the market and have never seen the 30-30 listed on their webpage or in the stores. I also wished they would make one in 357 Mag. They made a pistol version but never rifle. I want to ream the mag to a 357 Max. I emailed and asked about it and they said they had no plans to do so. Now we are stuck with the Legend.

Rosewood

Lonegle57

Wondering the length of shots you will be making. The blackout
would work relatively close and well placed, 45-70 good to 150 yards,
havent shot a creed but figure it close to a 308. Normally handgun hunt
and have used the Blackout and 45-70 both with 14 inch barrels, they work
for me up the 100 yard range. Fav caliber around here, for me, is a 7-08 in rifle caliber. If I do grab a rifle, normally an Encore or Ruger no.1 but have
had in the past excellent fun with a CVA scout.

Long Cut

Wondering the length of shots you will be making. The blackout
would work relatively close and well placed, 45-70 good to 150 yards,
havent shot a creed but figure it close to a 308. Normally handgun hunt
and have used the Blackout and 45-70 both with 14 inch barrels, they work
for me up the 100 yard range. Fav caliber around here, for me, is a 7-08 in rifle caliber. If I do grab a rifle, normally an Encore or Ruger no.1 but have
had in the past excellent fun with a CVA scout.
That’s the thing, being “Run & Gun” I bet 85% of the time I’d need it for 0-150 yards...

Then there’s that other time you’re sitting over a power line, clear cut, gas line etc and that 200-400 yard opportunity comes.

The .300 BO with factory 16” barrel is perfect out of the gate. Only catch is that caliber is capped out at 150-200 yards in most cases.

Long Cut

I think one thing that isn't being mentioned is availability of ammo. 45-70 is going to put a ding in your bank account, if you can even find it. You may decide to roll your own, which would help somewhat.
Buffalo Bore Ammo is $108 per 20 for their Magnum pills..

rosewood

Buffalo Bore Ammo is $108 per 20 for their Magnum pills..
Crazy. If you shoot 45-70, unless money is no object to you, you really need to roll your own and casting your own helps even more.

It probably cost me about 40 cent per round to load myself at current component prices, of course with used brass.

Rosewood

Long Cut

Crazy. If you shoot 45-70, unless money is no object to you, you really need to roll your own and casting your own helps even more.

It probably cost me about 40 cent per round to load myself at current component prices, of course with used brass.

Rosewood
Unfortunately it’s getting that way across the board. Better roll your own or roll out a wad of cash

SC Hunter

I mounted a scope for a guy a few weeks ago that had an EAB Custom in 6.5MB...kinda made me want one...maybe 6 ARC
On an Encore? I sold my Encore a little while back with the 7mm-08 barrel and no scope for $1500 plus shipping. I posted it for sale on another site and it sold in a day for my asking price. I had $400 in it, traded a cheap 12 gauge over under turkish made 13 or 14 years ago.‍♂️ I'm buying a 7mm-08 x bolt I believe next for all this 7mm-08 ammo I've got. I couldn't resist the monies for it.

frankwright

Probably shouldn't tell you it only cost me $225 brand new...
Yes, They are up in price a little but still a good deal.
I had one in .44 mag and I really liked it but it was not a reliable deer dropped at 100-125 yards.
I sold it but would buy another in 300b0 which I already load for or 350 Legend but they are mostly out of stock.
I really like the short barrel.

bighonkinjeep

.308 of course. Not underpowered, Doesnt have the trajectory of a hand grenade like the 45/70, nothing marginal about the .308 metplat. Well suited for a 16" barrel. .308 components and loaded ammo more readily available than the others with bullet selections premium to plinkers and from 90-240grs and it sounds like all you need to load for it is a set of dies. Easily loaded from less than 300BO velocity recoil and muzzle blast to full on .308Win with H4895. Fast powerful and flat.
Yup no doubt .308 Win is the way to go.