River Bend Precision Rifle Match - Dawsonville, GA

Gentleman4561

Howdy y'all, I run a precision rifle match at River Bend Gun Club in Dawsonville, GA. You DO NOT have to be a member to shoot the match.

I started this match to help build better riflemen, and we are certainly doing that! If find you struggle with ethically killing deer in the 200-600 yard range, this match will help you get better at that.

Our next match is February 5th, you can sign up here:
https://practiscore.com/rbgc-precision-rifle-match-2-5-2023/register

Any questions, just let me know.

https://www.rbgc.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=265856&module_id=537448

The RBGC Precision Rifle Match is a fun but challenging rifle match consisting of 6 stages ranging from 220 to 600 yards shot from various positions.

Please let us know if this is your first of this type of match, we will have a system in place to ensure safety and verify competitors are meeting the requirement for accurate hits out to 600 yards. Please do not let this requirement scare you away, we will have countless competitors that are more than happy to help you learn.

For this match, you will need a bolt action or semi-automatic rifle capable of shooting accurately out to 600 yards, known elevation adjustments (DOPE) out to 600 yards, and a bipod.

Most competitors shoot a .223, .308. 6.5 Creedmoor or one of the various 6mm cartridges.

A rear bag is highly recommended, but if you do not have one, you will not have a problem borrowing one.

Match Director:
Luke Crawford

Matches will be Monthly on the 1st Sunday of the Month

Matches will be held on the Silhouette Range

Match entry fee: $30.00

Last edited:

Jim Boyd

Wow!

Sounds groovy!!!!

I am not there yet (600 yards) but would love to get there and come shoot!

krizia829

Howdy y'all, I run a precision rifle match at River Bend Gun Club in Dawsonville, GA. You DO NOT have to be a member to shoot the match.

I started this match to help build better riflemen, and we are certainly doing that! If find you struggle with ethically killing deer in the 200-600 yard range, this match will help you get better at that.

The RBGC Precision Rifle Match is a fun but challenging rifle match consisting of 6 stages ranging from 220 to 600 yards shot from various positions.

Please let us know if this is your first of this type of match, we will have a system in place to ensure safety and verify competitors are meeting the requirement for accurate hits out to 600 yards. Please do not let this requirement scare you away, we will have countless competitors that are more than happy to help you learn.

For this match, you will need a bolt action or semi-automatic rifle capable of shooting accurately out to 600 yards, known elevation adjustments (DOPE) out to 600 yards, and a bipod.

Most competitors shoot a .223, .308. 6.5 Creedmoor or one of the various 6mm cartridges.

A rear bag is highly recommended, but if you do not have one, you will not have a problem borrowing one.

Match Director:
Luke Crawford

If only I lived in Ga!! This sounds like a blast!

Jim Boyd

If only I lived in Ga!! This sounds like a blast!

I looked, they have a hunting rifle fun shoot.

The whole place appears to have great structure.

I am interested.

4+ hours or so for me.

menhadenman

Match Director:
Luke Crawford

I’m tied up this weekend but would definitely like to attend the next one if it works out. Live in Blairsville and one of my neighbors (Art M.) is a longtime member there.

Thanks for sharing, I could stand to get more reps in at 500.

krizia829

I looked, they have a hunting rifle fun shoot.

The whole place appears to have great structure.

I am interested.

4+ hours or so for me.
10.5 hours for me :cry:

Darkhorse

If I was younger and in better physical condition I would jump right on this. But I'm not so this is out for me. If you do go please post about it so the rest of us can share in it.
River Bend is a fine Gun Club and I have shot there a few times years back. The last time I attended it was in the Southeast regional Muzzleloader matches. I placed 3rd in the 50 yard offhand match.
As I said, it's a fine place to shoot and I would like to attend something there again.

Jester896

Senior Clown
it is about a 4+ hr for me too but I could stay at my daughter's house in Cumming and drive in from there. I can't make this one either but will try to plan one,

@Darkhorse surely they could find a place for your chair close to the action if your able to sit for long periods yet.

Jim Boyd

I don’t know how demanding or how technical the matches are - but I noted they have a “fun hunting rifle shoot”.

I’m interested.

Told Jo and she says it is right up my alley.

I don’t want to sound ego filled but I can come in at least 11th place out of 10 shooters!

specialk

I don’t know how demanding or how technical the matches are - but I noted they have a “fun hunting rifle shoot”.

I’m interested.

Told Jo and she says it is right up my alley.

I don’t want to sound ego filled but I can come in at least 11th place out of 10 shooters!
Heck, i could tie that easy!

Darkhorse

I have a couple of rifles that could be used out to 600 yards. My 300 WMag shoots 1/2" and under at 100 yards but the barrel heats up to fast and gives a limited number of shots in the group. My 7mm Rem. Mag also shoots 1/2" and under, also as the barrel heats the group remains tight so it would probably be best for shooting at 600 yards.
My .308 probably is acceptable as is but it needs a lot of shooting at that distance to wring it in.
All my scopes are hunting scopes and would need replacing. So I would probably get another rifle and scope.
This is getting expensive already. Maybe I'll just watch.

ChidJ

I'm not a rep from this range or this match but I have a pretty strong inclination that this is not a high pressure, high stakes, highly physical match. If you are just there to have fun, you don't have to move fast (or much at all) and you don't have to shoot positions you don't like.

Just my opinion, but don't look at it as a competition as much as an opportunity to shoot some new targets, challenge yourself, meet some new people, and practice with feedback from others. Sounds like a bargain for 30 bucks.

Once again, I have no affiliation with these folks but sounds like a solid opportunity at what appears to be an excellent facility

Steven037

What’s the expected round count and is there an example of what to expect from the stages to be like? Any other equipment that might be needed? I can’t do this week but am very interested in the next matches.

ChidJ

Once again, just guessing here but I think its a pretty safe bet that it will look a lot like the following:

Practiscore says 60 rounds and 6 stages. Sounds like your basic PRS fare. Stage times vary but expect them to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 minutes

Stages will generally have one or more positions, generally off of an associated prop, shooting at one or more targets of known distance and shape.

There may also be some prone positions. Rarely will shooting positions be unsupported.

So what it looks like in practice is that you queue up for a stage, you'll get a stage brief explaining the stage procedure. Then, when its your turn, you'll step up and the officiator will confirm you understand the stage. They'll give you a go signal and you'll approach the shooting position (usually only a few feet away). You'll build your position and begin prosecuting targets according to the stages previously outlined procedures until you finish or time is called.

If you are new to something like this, let it be known. Lots of folks are eager to help others get into this stuff and will assist you however they can. Like the OP says, all you need is a rifle, some ammo, and a support bag. Easy

Here's a picture of a few common props you might encounter (not me, just some stock images)

1675179444002.png

1675179484861.png
1675179516223.png

Reactions: Dub

Latest posts