Pondering a new rifle, need input….

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I assume you're not in st marks?

Not at the moment. Hadn't been to my camper down there since July.
Fixing to start back fishing. Should be down there the 1st or 2nd week of January.
I always get sidetracked with hunting season and this year I picked up some trapping gear to help my critters.
I need to go.

doomtrpr_z71

Not at the moment. Hadn't been to my camper down there since July.
Fixing to start back fishing. Should be down there the 1st or 2nd week of January.
I always get sidetracked with hunting season and this year I picked up some trapping gear to help my critters.
I need to go.
I was gonna bring you enough primers to get started tomorrow lol

Bobby Bigtime

Not sure if it is in your wheelhouse but our Henry single shot is 223\5.56 shoots About sometimes under an inch with a few different factory loads. It is a gorgeous rifle. We have a straight 4x on it so I can't imagine how well she might shoot topped with good glass.

bullgator

It was my belief that 5.56 brass has thicker walls and therefore less internal capacity.

Darkhorse

I wouldn't concern myself about bullet jump to the lands. It is a proven fallacy that the bullet must be in contact with, or jammed into, the lands, for best accuracy. You simply find a node that gives good accuracy and work that node with proper loading techniques to dial it in.

Reactions: rmp

Darkhorse

It was after 5AM and I hadn't gotten to bed yet. I couldn't think of what I really wanted to say so I said that. It was a bad post with bad information.
Any technique that gives good accuracy is a good technique.
But back to the original question. I should have said...
"First your rifle must be capable of shooting tight groups. Most bolt guns can be made more accurate by bedding and changing to a better trigger. Most important the shooter must be capable of shooting those tight groups. Your bench setup must hold the rifle so it remains on target even after fireing those shots.
"Now find a node that gives good accuracy and work that node. I use my loading techniques and get good results. My techniques can be found by searching this forum."
Be warned my techniques must be difficult because no one wants to try them.