AR for first deer rifle?

Liberty

I like it. I made my kids “qualify” to be able to hunt as the shooter. They ended up being the shooter at least a year ahead of where I thought they would be able, but they had shot many a BB and .22 before attempting a larger rifle.

The qualifier was to hit a 50 yard target properly (tight group) out of the ground blind, on a chair, using only the window as a prop.
I did the same thing, except on a deer target with the vital markings browned out off a chair with only a 1 point of support.

Liberty

You can do the 6.5 creedmoor in the AR-15 platform also. I like that round for young hunters.
Are you sure you don’t mean the 6.5 Grendel? I’m showing the 6.5 Creedmoor to have an overall length of 2.825 which is significantly longer than the maximum complete overall length that most ar mags will take 2.26.

Liberty

Yes, I am pretty sure the 6.5 Creedmoor requires the AR10 platform , and won't work with AR15 size receivers
If I could get it in the smaller platform I’d be a 6.5 manbun shooter, but I still wouldn’t tell my friends. Manbun jokes aside, the 6.5 Creed would be a great kids rifle. My boy loves the 6.5x55.

transfixer

If I could get it in the smaller platform I’d be a 6.5 manbun shooter, but I still wouldn’t tell my friends. Manbun jokes aside, the 6.5 Creed would be a great kids rifle. My boy loves the 6.5x55.

It is a GREAT caliber for long range shooting, but in all honesty at ranges 200yds and under it does nothing that another long standing caliber can't do also,

transfixer

I love ARs and let my kids shoot the heck out of mine before they killed a deer.

Saying that I bought a 243 for them to start with.

.243 isn't just a "starting" rifle, I have 06's, .308's and have had larger calibers in the past, for the last 20 yrs or so I generally grab my .243 before I do another rifle, and I'm 62yrs old, 230lbs, and freely admit I'm an accuracy and bullet placement snob , lol

Tight Lines

.243 isn't just a "starting" rifle, I have 06's, .308's and have had larger calibers in the past, for the last 20 yrs or so I generally grab my .243 before I do another rifle, and I'm 62yrs old, 230lbs, and freely admit I'm an accuracy and bullet placement snob , lol
.243 being a "kid's and women's" round or insufficient for deer is not unlike the brush gun moniker...both misunderstood. The .243 gained that moniker because everyone was shooting heavier, faster, beat-your-shoulder to death magnums, short magnums, and so on that kids and women didn't care to shoot...the .243 didn't beat you up like the others. But the 6MM is a fine round, and more than enough. The brush gun is the same, called that because of the short, large caliber, easy to maneuver weapons that somehow became brush busters and could shoot through small trees to kill deer.

Last edited:

GeorgiaGlockMan

Oh I agree completely but not after bang-flopping a real nice TX deer at 250 yds with that same 243 first before my kids even used it.

Tight Lines

I thought that was why the military started using the 6.5 creedmoor, it fits in a smaller frame, thus lighter infantry gun.
I think you are thinking of the 6.8MM SPC that is the same length as the 5.56 but obviously a larger round. SIG Sauer is making a new AR format weapon in that chambering for the military. SOCOM is moving toward the 6.5CM for sniper rifles. There may be 6.8MM SPC variants in the future is what I have read.

The 6.8MM SPC is more powerful than the 5.56 so less wounding, more killing and is designed for CQB weapons. It isn't as powerful as the 7.62MM (.308) but is easier to control in rapid fire and is more powerful in the AR format.

The 6.5CM is easier to shoot and has superior inherent ballistics and accuracy, and the weapon is smaller and easier to maneuver than other sniper rifles. The effective range is 1200 meters.

transfixer

I think you are thinking of the 6.8MM SPC that is the same length as the 5.56 but obviously a larger round. SIG Sauer is making a new AR format weapon in that chambering for the military. SOCOM is moving toward the 6.5CM for sniper rifles. There may be 6.8MM SPC variants in the future is what I have read.

The 6.8MM SPC is more powerful than the 5.56 so less wounding, more killing and is designed for CQB weapons. It isn't as powerful as the 7.62MM (.308) but is easier to control in rapid fire and is more powerful in the AR format.

The 6.5CM is easier to shoot and has superior inherent ballistics and accuracy, and the weapon is smaller and easier to maneuver than other sniper rifles. The effective range is 1200 meters.

I don't believe they are even using the 6.8spc much anymore, the new squad weapon will be using the 6.8x51 round

Jester896

Senior Clown
a 6.8SPC is a fine round for a bolt gun for "women and children" that I wouldn't mind taking deer within limits either...and it is only 5gr heavier than a .243.

NCMTNHunter

It’s new but I’d take a serious look at a 6mm ARC if I were going to go with an AR. It’s all but a .243 that fits in an AR. I wouldn’t be afraid of a .223 either. My kids have killed a pretty good pile of deer with a .223.

Tight Lines

I don't believe they are even using the 6.8spc much anymore, the new squad weapon will be using the 6.8x51 round
I think you are right...I think the switch to the 6.8x51 was a recent change from the SPC. The original contract for Sig was for the 6.8 SPC, I think...some of the articles are confusing....It sucks for us, because the 6.8x51 is too long for an AR-15 to function I think...the SPC is the same length as the 5.56.

Tight Lines

It’s new but I’d take a serious look at a 6mm ARC if I were going to go with an AR. It’s all but a .243 that fits in an AR. I wouldn’t be afraid of a .223 either. My kids have killed a pretty good pile of deer with a .223.
I'm building one of those now, going to put a thermal on it for hogs, yotes, and probably some deer...

transfixer

I think you are right...I think the switch to the 6.8x51 was a recent change from the SPC. The original contract for Sig was for the 6.8 SPC, I think...some of the articles are confusing....It sucks for us, because the 6.8x51 is too long for an AR-15 to function I think...the SPC is the same length as the 5.56.

I don't think the 6.8x51 is available commercially yet ? it might be , not sure, but yeah, it will have to be in an AR10 sized receiver,

transfixer

And walk in a store and try to find that "270 short"

OP needs to go with a caliber he can walk into about anywhere and walk out with a box of hunting ammo. I'm seeing cartridges mentioned in this thread that maybe hard to find.

yeah, 6.8spc ammo isn't always easy to find, my stepson was considering building one a few years back, I did some checking on barrel availability and specs, the "270 short" was a nickname being mentioned on some of the sites I read through, if would have been confusing to pick a barrel though, as one company was making some with 3 rifling grooves and claiming exceptional accuracy, and some with 5 grooves , and there were different rates of twist also , if I remember right the projectile choices were somewhat limited, its been about 4yrs probably since I checked into it, as I had planned on buying him a barrel for a christmas present one year, but he changed directions in his thinking, and decided he didn't want one