AR for first deer rifle?

buckpasser

I have a rh charge AR on the way in 6.5G. Thanks for all the input. Now to scope shop!

You nailed it! You won’t regret the performance of that caliber and ammo availability hasn’t been a problem for me. I promise you I’ve done the R and D on deer and copper bullets are far and away the best choice for hunting that I’ve used. I’m shooting the tipped Barnes (110g I believe) with unbelievable results. Good luck on the scope!

Tight Lines

I don't think the 6.8x51 is available commercially yet ? it might be , not sure, but yeah, it will have to be in an AR10 sized receiver,
Probably correct. I am not interested in either one, as I have 5.56 and 6MM ARC. At some point will build a .308 AR-10.

wm742

I was wrong about the AR-15 platform, or my buddy's builder knows something we don't.

The military is using the 6.5 creedmoor. Its one of the reasons I bought one for my youngest daughter. If the military uses it, then there is usually ammo on the shelves.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I started my grandson with a 300BO AR. The rear stock would close up small enough to fit him, and we let it out as he grew. He is shooting 125gr in it, and it carries about the same ballistics as a 30.30. If you keep that in mind, limit your shots to around 100 yards or so, it will be a fine combination, or at least it has for us.

Liberty

And walk in a store and try to find that "270 short"

OP needs to go with a caliber he can walk into about anywhere and walk out with a box of hunting ammo. I'm seeing cartridges mentioned in this thread that maybe hard to find.
The slow death of most “hot new cartridges” makes me slow to adopt anything that people weren’t hunting with when Ronald Regan was president.

Liberty

I have a rh charge AR on the way in 6.5G. Thanks for all the input. Now to scope shop!
Low power variable 1-4.5 to 1-8 are my favorite ar optics, but for a kid a straight 3 or 4 power is great because they can’t turn it up “too high” causing problems finding the deer.

o2bfishin

yep. I only let Samsam shoot with a 5 round mag. It makes it a lot less likely that the mag will hang on something in the stand, and I figure if he ain't killed it with 5 shots, 30 ain't gonna help much

I got an ACS 5 round mag and a Sig 2x7x32 scope. The gun itself hasn't shipped yet... the order is still "processing."

Tight Lines

Get yourself a couple of C products defense mags, they've got a better reputation than ACS does for reliability
I was looking at them for the 6MM ARC but they don't make a caliber specific mag. It's the same as the 6.5G, so I went with ACS. Will see. Mags are the weak link in 6MM ARC right now...

Blackston

Cool is HE !!!!!! Baby Buckpasser is a Killa !!!
Second vote for Grendel, or almost any AR. You simply can’t beat the adjustable stock, the near zero recoil, and the light weight design of an AR for a kid. Grendel is plenty powerful to roll on with indefinitely, but .300blk is also another great option as it’s only one part (barrel) from being a 556 or .223 again. My daughter and I have been using AR’s for quite a few years now, while my son (10) is too cool for the AR and likes his bolt .243. He started on the blackout and killed well with it.

transfixer

I was looking at them for the 6MM ARC but they don't make a caliber specific mag. It's the same as the 6.5G, so I went with ACS. Will see. Mags are the weak link in 6MM ARC right now...

I'm not familiar with the 6mm ARC as far as the cartridge profile , it is similar to the 6.5G ? I did read somewhere that CPD uses the same mag for the 6.5G and the 7.62x39, just uses a different follower for each one .

I got turned on to CPD mags even before I started building a 7.62x39 , all the research I did made me aware the mags were the main problem with using that cartridge, and CPD was the only one everybody had no problems with, ACS , or actually ASC was the second choice for the 7.62x39 as theirs seem to be hit or miss, but that being said the problems were mainly with the larger capacity mags, 20rds and above

In googling it appears the profile of both the 6.5g and 6mm ARC are virtualy identical ? other than bullet diameter, that is probably why CPD only makes the one mag for both ?

Latest posts