AR for first deer rifle?

Tight Lines

I'm not familiar with the 6mm ARC as far as the cartridge profile , it is similar to the 6.5G ? I did read somewhere that CPD uses the same mag for the 6.5G and the 7.62x39, just uses a different follower for each one .

I got turned on to CPD mags even before I started building a 7.62x39 , all the research I did made me aware the mags were the main problem with using that cartridge, and CPD was the only one everybody had no problems with, ACS , or actually ASC was the second choice for the 7.62x39 as theirs seem to be hit or miss, but that being said the problems were mainly with the larger capacity mags, 20rds and above

In googling it appears the profile of both the 6.5g and 6mm ARC are virtualy identical ? other than bullet diameter, that is probably why CPD only makes the one mag for both ?
They are ever so slightly different, and should require a different follower. It seems some use caliber specific followers, while others do not. ASC has a different follower, CPD does not as far as I can tell. I have some ASC coming, hopefully they function. Can't wait for Magpul to make a 6MM ARC.

Stroker

They are ever so slightly different, and should require a different follower. It seems some use caliber specific followers, while others do not. ASC has a different follower, CPD does not as far as I can tell. I have some ASC coming, hopefully they function. Can't wait for Magpul to make a 6MM ARC.
I run the ASC mags in my ARC and haven't had the first issue. When I compared the 6 ARC vs my ASC 6.5G mag followers I don't see any difference other than there different colors.

Tight Lines

I run the ASC mags in my ARC and haven't had the first issue. When I compared the 6 ARC vs my ASC 6.5G mag followers I don't see any difference other than there different colors.
Thanks. I ordered 6 ASC mags. Will see how they perform. What is your lower? Mine is VSeven...

Stroker

Thanks. I ordered 6 ASC mags. Will see how they perform. What is your lower? Mine is VSeven...
It's an Olympic with a Larue MBT 2 trigger, off of my first AR. DDT upper, 18" 1x8, medium contour.

rosewood

I hunt with a single shot CVA in 35 remington. I have hunted with everything from a AR-10 to bolt .243. I am a firm believer the single shot is most likely one of the safest easiest to use firearms especially for a novice. Easy to load and reload even in the dark. No chance of an accidental double tap. Short, light and easy to carry to boot. ARs are big and bulky IHMO.

The 35 rem is no longer available, but CVA is available in the 350 Legend, 300 BLK, 6.5 CM, 243 and a few other larger cartridges. The CVA is harder to find and may have to be ordered but if I was taking a new hunter, that is what would be in his/her hands.

Henry makes some single shots that would be even nicer, but you have to pay for them.

Rosewood

Liberty

I have a rh charge AR on the way in 6.5G. Thanks for all the input. Now to scope shop!
Ar’s are much handier hunting or off the bench with 10 or 20 round sized .223 mags than the standard capacity 30 in my opinion. Not sure what the round count translates to on the Grendel.

buckpasser

Ar’s are much handier hunting or off the bench with 10 or 20 round sized .223 mags than the standard capacity 30 in my opinion. Not sure what the round count translates to on the Grendel.

I’m not sure if they make a poly low county 6.5G yet or not, but that would be nice.

sleepr71

Sigh…IF I had it to do all over…I’d get an 18” 6.8 SPCii…and never look back. The 6.8 simply outshines the 6.5G as a hunting round,and a 16-18”SPC generates the velocity that only a 24” Grendel can generate. A 24” barreled AR is just goofy & unwieldy to me. That,and out to 300-350yds..the 6.8 delivers equal umph. IF you plan on using it past 400..or for target shooting waaay out..the Grendel is better(high BC). For hunting…I’d go 6.8 SPC.

o2bfishin

First shots fired. Won't be ready for deer this season, but if he can consistently shoot well over the next month or so a hog hunt will be in order.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240103_184346_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240103_184346_Gallery.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 8