Which would you pick? 300BLK vs .243

buckpasser

I know others have different experiences, my 243 (Rem 783) has dropped DRT every deer I've shot with it in the last 6 or 7 years. Shots to 200 yards, 100 or 105 grain bullets, mainly Winchester Whitetails with Ballistic tips. I've either put the bullet through the spine in the back or through the spine in the neck. It's an accurate bullet, you wait for the right shot and put it in the central nervous system, it's lights out deer drops and no track job.

I see no reason to use anything else.

My son achieved his first DRT this year with a high shoulder on a nice 8pt with his .243 in 95g coppers. I love trailing them up, but that was a good feeling too.

Waddams

Well a 22lr or even 22short to the central nervous system will put down anything...be it deer, squirrel, elephant.

So shot placement (ie - shooting ability) and not caliber size is more important? Who knew?

GunnSmokeer

The OP's son is six years old.

Six.

So, forget what's the best non-magnum rifle caliber for a big grown man to hunt deer with.

What's the best rifle and caliber for a SMALL CHILD to hunt deer with?

I say it's the one with the lowest recoil and the least noise that can still reliably kill deer. Accuracy is far more important than kinetic energy.
And the kid's unlikely to ever have good accuracy if he develops a flinch from shooting a .243, .270, or any other caliber based on the 308 or 30-06 parent cases. Even if the recoil isn't bad IF THE RIFLE IS HEAVY ENOUGH, those calibers are scary LOUD.

GunnSmokeer

QUOTE:
I have a nearly identical gun in 300BLK that's suppressed with a much better scope.

YEP, THERE'S YOUR ANSWER RIGHT THERE.

menhadenman

You make a good point @GunnSmokeer and I don’t think he could go wrong either way.

I have three kids in elementary that all started shooting at 3-4 years old. We have a lot of light recoil stuff from 300s, 223, 243, 25-06, 6.5s and also cans to keep noise down.

The reason I suggested the 243 is because @ssramage stated his son has shot it over a few range sessions and is “ready.” The 243 has much flatter trajectory (more forgiving on distance calls) and is a deer killing machine. The recoil on both guns are still under 9 ft-lbs, less than half of an ‘06.

Not to say the blackout is a bad choice, especially inside 50 yds, I just prefer to let me kids hunt with rifles they’ve practiced with and shown proficiency.

Also on the sound - the $35 electronic Walker muffs are great for the kids in the blind. I can still whisper to them while they have ear protection. We still use regular muffs when target practicing.

Another suggestion: those Bog death grip tripods are great for kids. They’re heavy as all get out but I use one in the blind to give them a steadier shot and it’s easy for us to both look through the scope without passing a loaded rifle around. Safe and accurate for the kid.

Good luck either way @ssramage the important thing is you’re getting the young man out in the woods and thinking carefully about your options. Keep us posted on the young man’s hunt!

9D83A727-F98D-4C0D-91AF-FCA3A1509698.jpeg

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
This is just me, but the .350 Legend is a great starter deer round.

Also again just me, a kid has no business with any "deer rifle" in their hands until they already know how to shoot.

A few thousand .22's worth is where to start. The kid will love shooting, and think it's a whole lotta fun.

Then it's just adding a bit of recoil and blast to an already solid base of knowledge.

My grand boys go thru .22's by the case, and at 11 and 8 you can hand them any deer rifle you got and they'll bust a snuff can at 100 off sandbags.

This comes from a whole lotta shooting, since they could hold a Daisy Pal.

Again, this is just how I do it, but it works...

WaltL1

I've killed a good number of deer with Core Lokts and I'd say I get an exit about 60% of the time. Of course it's really a moot point when the deer is laying within 30 yards. They're great bullets for deer hunting but they're not great penetrators in my experience. I wouldn't use them for game much heavier than deer. I have an idea that Remington has softened them up a little over the years too.
Ive used them for years too. 140gr 6.5x55 and never had a reason to change.
Rarely had an exit but I didnt much care when the deer only take a step or two and fall down dead. I will say that I am very particular about the shots I will take so that probably plays a role too.

Liberty

This is just me, but the .350 Legend is a great starter deer round.

Also again just me, a kid has no business with any "deer rifle" in their hands until they already know how to shoot.

A few thousand .22's worth is where to start. The kid will love shooting, and think it's a whole lotta fun.

Then it's just adding a bit of recoil and blast to an already solid base of knowledge.

My grand boys go thru .22's by the case, and at 11 and 8 you can hand them any deer rifle you got and they'll bust a snuff can at 100 off sandbags.

This comes from a whole lotta shooting, since they could hold a Daisy Pal.

Again, this is just how I do it, but it works...
Sounds like we run the same program. I make mine “qualify” with a rifle before he is allowed to hunt with it.

175rltw

BANNED
300 BO, under 100 yards.

I've had way too many deer run way too far after being hit perfectly with a .243.

To each his own, but a .243 is marginal for deer (IMO).

But, I will say, that my opinion this is based on old-timey "cup & core" bullets.

If you want to pay $50/box for .243, then you can get some good loads.

IMO, have a kid shoot at least a .25 caliber.

Just MO...
My kid hated the 243. He always preferred the 257 Roberts. Both rifles 20” barrels and very light. Didn’t like the muzzle blast of the 243 and didn’t think there was a difference otherwise. 115 ballistic tips 120 partitions or 100 tsxs all worked for him and me out of it. All inside now are the ballistic tips but I still have some partitions and tsx to load.

About to turn 20 -He still loves that rifle , and a 223 I (had joe collier) put together for him out of Remington rifle parts

Take all of that in the context of the choice offered and it’s 243 all the way.

May as well send him out with a muzzle loader as the 300bo

175rltw

BANNED
You done much deer hunting with a .300blk?
Zero. But I ahot bunch at paper out of one of the model 7s at a KD range… It just is what it is. A dog. A one trick
Pony with a kind of underwhelming trick- but One witha lot of GWOT era hype attached may as well send the kid witha muzzle loader.

Now if you absolutely positively need to shoot deer in the back yard in vinings, and not be detected and not have a pass though make it into the neighbors dining room- grab that sweet shooting rig and have at it.

Or say- god forbid a 2 year old buck jumps through the bay window in the dining room and you need to whack him without fear of sending a bullet into the wife’s sewing room, adjacent, better grab that black out.

Last edited: